DanMachi Volume 1 Week 2

DanMachi Home Thread

Start Date: February 17
Week 2 Reading: Page 15 - End of Page 26 (10 Pages)
Last Part: …頼りを染めて照れてしまった。
Word List: FloFlo
Previous Week: Week 1
Next Week: Week 3

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!
  • I am reading along
  • I have already read this part
  • I haven’t reached this part yet

0 voters

4 Likes

Guys I have a few questions, why are there some kanji that have completely unrelated furigana, such as on page 23 (physical) 英雄達 has かれら and also 物語 has きせき, and also on page 23 why are there commas on each of the letters of 出会い.

(By the way I understand the meaning of the replaced words in both cases and how they make sense, but I dont understand why they put furigana which is incorrect for those kanji, and those random commas)

3 Likes

Ok I guess sadly no one is reading. I have made the third week anyways for now…

Didn’t know this week’s discussion even existed :sweat_smile:

Anyway, found this while looking it up:
Reading does not match Kanji

As I thought, it’s just a new degree of freedom that Japanese people have. The kanji mean one thing and the voice/kana have another meaning. You can put the two together for a new, combined and unique meaning.

I am following a shounen anime currently airing ( Mairimashita ! Iruma-kun) and it’s full of kanji being replaced with other kanji that sound the same but are demonic/hellish. And then there’s villains having weird kanji that are related to death (死) etc. that I doubt anyone would choose for their own children.

As I said the Japanese language has one more degree of freedom than our poor phonetic languages, I think it’s something we should always keep in mind.

2 Likes

I’m reading! (Just a bit quietly :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Thank you for the link, I suspected this was the case but wanted to make sure.

Still unsure about the commas on the letters though, if someone knows why that was please let me know.

1 Like

Could be just to add emphasis on that word, maybe to tell the reader that it has a different meaning than the common one.

I could only find this:

and this:
http://en.wikibedia.ru/wiki/Japanese_typographic_symbols
Quoting in case they get deleted, it’s called 黒ゴマ [I suppose because it looks like black sesame]

The second page linked uses that description for all four types of dots:
, , and also . No idea whether the choice between the four is purely stylistical.

I tried to look among the meeting/encounters in the first chapter in the English version since I don’t know which one you are referring to.
As far as I can see, they refer mostly to

Bell meeting the minotaur

Since he didn’t have a date with a minotaur it would make sense to say it was a different kind of “meeting”/“encounter” (using italics) . At least that’s my interpretation.

P.S: Keep the questions coming, I’m learning new stuff just through you doubts, and I haven’t even read anything yet. :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for the help, it might well be italics, that makes sense. Also the 出会い im talking about is around the middle of page 23 physical version, but im not sure what version you have.

Glad to see you are enthusiastic and active in the club even without reading! I am a japanese noob so sorry about all the questions lol

1 Like

Wow, I completely missed this one - having read it and seeing this again, you’ve got a little mistake here I believe - it’s 頬を染めて. Or maybe I haven’t finished this part yet after all. ^^

I find the amount of katakana in here a bit amusing, especially for things like ドワーフ, ノーム and パルゥム, but then there was メインストリート shortly after that. Is there an actual difference between this and 大通り? Since that was used before for what I gathered was the same street.

I’ve some questions about the 種族 actually. The others are pretty self explanatory, but what is パルゥム? Google told me its a 小人族, and all the search results seem to be related to ダンまち, so is this one just a purely made up, small statured people? - I’m probably not supposed to know anything about them yet if so, and all will be made clear. If that’s true I guess all the 種族 mentioned are 小人族. :smiley:

Another one: how is 獣人 pronounced in this series? じゅうじん or けものびと?

2 Likes

No, the author just loves English.

It’s not the only fake word we have. You’ll see a lot of that. All the 獣人 sub species are weird made-up words that sound cool. Speaking of 獣人, I pronounce it じゅうじん.

2 Likes

That’s good to know, haha. Here’s to keeping them apart. I was going to make another comment but that’s actually next-week-content - :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Based on one random line of dialogue from the second book, I got the impression this seems to be the way it’s “expected” to be read in danmachi(I figure further confirmation won’t hurt, even if the question kind of already has been answered )

4 Likes

Confirmation is always good. :smiley: Thanks!

Unless it’s bad news.

3 Likes