君の膵臓をたべたい (I Want to Eat Your Pancreas) Book Discussion

Welcome!

Hello, this is a discussion about the book 君の膵臓を食べたい・I Want to Eat Your Pancreas

This is a go-at-your-own-pace discussion so there are no hard deadlines. Join at any time!

In this thread, feel free to discuss plot/ development as well as ask any grammar/vocab questions related to the book.

Inspired by this other thread.

Word lists

A word list is available at Kitsun.io and FloFlo.moe. Both websites also have a built-in SRS to help you go through it. (Please have a look at their WK threads: Kitsun and FloFlo if you aren’t familiar with them!).

I Want to Eat Your Pancreas – Kitsun.io

Learn the required vocabulary needed to read “I Want to Eat Your Pancreas” in Japanese with Kitsun’s built-in SRS. You must be logged in to use the deck.

I Want to Eat Your Pancreas – Floflo.moe

Learn the required vocabulary needed to read “I Want to Eat Your Pancreas” in Japanese with Floflo’s built-in SRS. You can learn the words in order of frequency in which they appear in the book! You must be logged in to use the SRS.

Spoilers

Please hide spoilers with either a spoiler tag

like this[/spoiler] which looks [spoiler]like that

or in a details block

(Spoiler for page -1) Example; click to expand

This text will be hidden

Participation polls

Pre-Reading

• I am currently reading this book!
  • I intend to read this book at some point in the (far) future.
  • I have already read this book.
  • I do not intend to read this book, but I heard there was cake.
  • Other
0 voters

I Am Currently Reading…

• Chapter 1
  • Chapter 2
  • Chapter 3
  • Chapter 4
  • Chapter 5
  • Chapter 6
  • Chapter 7
  • Chapter 8
  • Chapter 9
  • Chapter 10
  • Finished!
0 voters

Post-Reading

• I finished the book and I loved it!
  • I finished the book and I liked it.
  • I finished the book and I didn’t like it.
  • I finished the book and I hated it!
  • I stopped midway, but I intend to finish at a later point.
  • I stopped midway and I don’t intend to finish.
0 voters
10 Likes

This is the first novel I finished in Japanese. I think it’s a great first novel. Enjoy

6 Likes

Oh! How hard did you find it? What was your approximate Japanese proficiency when you started?

Also, I put that I’m currently reading it but that’s a lie. Haha, whoops.

1 Like

You can just edit your vote :slight_smile:
(Hide results then vote again)

2 Likes

Sooo after seeing you guys’ discussion in the other thread, I ended up purchasing this one with my order too! Not quite sure when it’ll arrive yet though since I got it through Tenso and it’s my first time buying anything through them…

3 Likes

I’d be keen to read this one, but I’m not sure how hard it would be for my current level.

Here’s the original Nomination Post with links to sample pages.

@Naphthalene My faith in you is restored. :star_struck:

2 Likes

What? Why? :sweat_smile:

Because you told me how to change my answer. lol

1 Like

But you don’t seem to have changed your answer, though :thinking:

1 Like

I unclicked it…I guess that doesn’t work.

1 Like

You have to select a different option; can’t unvote.

4 Likes

Thanks for creating this @lopicake

I couldnt get the version thats pictured above, apparently its the only book out of 7 i ordered that cant be delivered to where i live… had to get what i assume is the furigana version… fingers crossed i ordered the right thing :joy:

2 Likes

Out of curiousity, are we planning on having a specific start date, or is the plan just to start whenever?

Thanks for putting this together by the way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good question. Because my first impression was that there won’t be any schedule arranged… which tbh sounded cool to me. I can just come and share stuff about the book without feeling pressure to keep up with others.

I love the post-reading poll btw :v:

5 Likes

Not incredibly hard but I had to use the dictionary a fair bit I guess. I think I was about level 36 or something like that when I started reading it. I struggled a bit through the first half but breezed through the rest after I got more used to reading. I had also been living in Japan for 7 months or so at the time. Overall the writing is quite straightforward so as long as you know the words (through a dictionary if need be) understanding it is not too difficult I think.

I went on to read 6 more books after that and am currently halfway through Norwegian Wood by Murakami Haruki. It gets easier very quickly the more you read. JLPT reading comprehension sections also become very easy.

9 Likes

Thanks, idk why I didn’t check the nomination post, didn’t even cross my mind.

It looks like it could be a little tricky for me judging by the first few pages. Looks a little harder than 時をかける少女 which I only want just able to get the gist of it.

I like that it’s out on kindle so I can look up unfamiliar vocab easily though. Still a maybe, but definitely one day!

2 Likes

Unfortunately you can’t unvote. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Is it just unfamiliar vocabulary that’s making it difficult for you or grammar as well?

Bit of both. My grammar is pretty not great, I’m most likely getting a Bunpo lifetime sub soon, so hopefully that’ll fix it.