Volume 2 Discussion Thread

ハピネス Reading club home thread
Last Volume
Next Volume

Volume start date: May 14, 2022
Chapters: 6-10

Vocab

Schedule

The first two chapters we read at one chapter every two weeks, then sped up to one chapter per week.

This thread is for discussing all of volume 2.

Week Starting Chapter Pages Pages with dialogue
Week 1, 2 May 14 6 3-36 27
Week 3, 4 May 28 7 37-85 34
Week 5 June 11 8 86-126 24
Week 6 June 18 9 127-156 19
Week 7 June 25 10 157-191 19

Participation

Are you reading along with this volume?
  • I am reading along
  • I will catch up later
  • I’m reading ahead
  • I won’t be reading (anymore)

0 voters

10 Likes

Bookwalker link if you don’t know where to get the book, it’s 420 Yen. (They also sometimes have books for free, Spy x Family 1 right now for example)

1 Like

Only one chapter forever, though; or whole first volume for two more days.

Aw really? I thought it was like Happiness 1 where you get the whole thing for free.

Hello! I thought I wasn’t going to continue reading, but 五所 is my favourite character ever, and the way she was staring at me from the cover I just couldn’t resist. :smiley:

@msbrown Thanks for running the offshoot club! Are we going to have separate threads for each chapter, or will the discussions take place here? What about participation polls?

6 Likes

Hope this is the place to post for reading the new chapters. no individual thread? or just all in this thread for vol 2?
WELL HERE GOES… I read ahead since it was really light on stuff and finished the chapter.

3 Likes

So I’ve read properly to p14 then skimmed the rest of the week’s reading (possibly a little beyond).

My thoughts - wow this gets awkward quickly.

Edit - disclaimer: may belong in start of second week, unsure of break point.

1 Like

Yes, sorry that wasn’t clear. I indented this thread to discuss all of volume 2. The offshoot clubs tend to have a lot less participation than the main club (less people, and also people start to get the hang of the grammar), so I think a thread per volume is typical.

Is this something we should change? It’s not much more effort to post a thread per chapter. I can do whatever you all think is best.

Whops, sorry I missed that. I’ll add a poll to the top post in a minute. Originally I was thinking we recently did a participation poll in the main ハピネス thread, but it’s probably better to have one for each sub-post too.

Go ahead and and discuss the whole chapter! There’s no cut-off for when to start discussing the second half of the chapter. There is just two whole weeks for one chapter instead of one week for each half chapter.

5 Likes

No, I don’t think this is something to change. One thread per volume is the norm in offshoot clubs as far as I know. I just wanted to make sure that this was the correct place for discussion.

Actually, if it’s not too much trouble, it might be useful if we had a new post in this thread signifying the start of each new week (or chapter maybe), along with a new poll each time. Participation tends to drop, and it’s good to see how many people are still actively reading. Plus, a new post at the start of every week or chapter would remind people to read, and would serve as a nice visual break for future readers looking for answers for a particular chapter. All of that, only if it’s not too much trouble for you of course! Otherwise, people can just comment here when they see fit, that works too. :smiley:

8 Likes

New participation poll at the top of the thread! If you’re reading this, please go back up and vote.
Sorry, it wasn’t there originally.

That’s a good idea! I’ll definitely do that.

5 Likes

I really like this new chapter. The characters get some cool development !

Okazaki is sooo sweet when is he overthinking whether Gosho is asking him on a date ! And then, Yuuki comes and ruins everything :angry:。But it seems that they are all getting along.

The last few panels though … I am really worried for our Nonuta :flushed: :sob:

Some questions:

• [page 6] "昨日きのう2時ごろしょうがくせい れつ じょうようしゃが… ” I get that the first part means “Yesterday at around 2 pm”, but I don’ t get the second part at all. Does it mean “cars lined up like elementary school students” ?
  • [page 13] "ほらほらってごらん ". From the context, I would translate this sentence as “Come on, say something more, I am listening”, but I don’ t get how “ほら” and "ごらん” fit into this sentence. Both words are translated as “Look” in Jisho… So what does this mean ?
5 Likes

Yesterday, around 2pm, something happens to the train with elementary school students’ row.

ほら Hey!
ごらん Try / let’s

5 Likes

It’s an interrupted sentence (we stop paying attention to the TV) so we don’t know exactly what happens.
小学生の列 - a row/queue of elementary school students
に - in/to (we’d need the verb to know for sure)
乗用車 - passenger car
So a car or cars …(something)…to a queue of elementary students.

There’s a typo in your sentence. :slight_smile: It’s 言って, not 行って.
ごらん is a polite/respectful 見て, here in the sense of “try to”, as @polv pointed out. (not sure it’s respectful when used in this sense, Jisho doesn’t specify, so maybe not)
ほら is more an interjection than a word in my mind. It can mean “look”, or “come”, or “here”, but basically it’s just said to draw attention, so “hey” works just as well.

“Hey, come on, try and say it”

11 Likes

P14

別にいいっすけど言いたくないなら

= if not it’s ok, if you don’t want to say

I’m not sure my rough translation gets the full meaning, though I think that’s what she’s trying to say?

3 Likes

So I just finished this chapter and I’m not sure if it’s the story development or if it’s because I am finally reading a chapter all at once, but this was the best chapter for me yet!

I actually really like that they are all hanging out and hope that they will become a nice group of friends :two_hearts:

Worried for how Nunota-kun is being dragged into this though. I also wonder, does the main character even think of Nunota as a real friend? We don’t really see much of them together or know much of their past.

4 Likes

I ended up reading this entire chapter. I also found it very interesting that they’re hanging out and I was wondering if Yuuki has just forgiven Okazaki for punching him. Will Yuuki try to get some revenge later on?

(Amusingly reading this whole chapter took me far less time than reading four pages of the Prefectures book).

5 Likes

It wouldn’t be surprising if Yuuki has some hidden motives, although I bet he has feeling too.

I am more worried about the man in the last page, and next chapter’s title…

4 Likes

Yep, still on p3 out of the 4 of the prefectures book. I thought that it would be super easy, but it just reminds me how much vocab I still don’t know!

2 Likes

I also have a question about the half sentence on the news on page 6:

昨日きのう2時ごろしょうがくせい れつ じょうようしゃが…

I correctly recognized it as an interrupted sentence, and my interpretation was the news was about a car hitting a row of children while they were walking on the street (that’s dark, sorry about that). We’ll never know if it was that -unless it comes up later- but I was wondering if such a continuation would be grammatically correct and consistent with the part of the sentence he heard.

4 Likes

This was what I thought as well, because honestly, what else could it about? The sentence is probably missing something like 突っ込んだ. In fact, when I google “学生の列に乗用車” that’s the only result I get.

4 Likes