世界から猫が消えたなら (If cats disappeared from the world) Book Discussion

This thread is a place for people who have read, are reading, or plan to read 世界から猫が消えたなら to discuss the novel. This is not part of the book clubs, so there is no schedule or timeframe. Feel free to discuss the story, grammar, vocab, or anything else from this book. Inspired by this thread.

About the Book
Author: 川村 元気
Pages: 229
Book: Paperback: Amazon | ebook: Amazon, ebookjapan
Movie: Netflix Japan | Amazon prime

Sample Pages

Spoilers

For all spoilers, please post the chapter number/title, followed by hidden details or blurred text as shown below:

金曜日

spoilers!

In chapter 4 spoilers!

Polls
Participation

• Planning to Read
  • Reading
  • Completed
  • Paused
  • Dropped
0 voters

Progress

• Chapter 1 (月曜日)
  • Chapter 2 (火曜日)
  • Chapter 3 (水曜日)
  • Chapter 4 (木曜日)
  • Chapter 5 (金曜日)
  • Chapter 6 (土曜日)
  • Chapter 7 (日曜日)
  • Finished!
0 voters

Finished reading? Rate you interest in this post below!

14 Likes

How hard is this book?

1 Like

Interest

• Loved it
  • Liked it
  • Meh
  • Didn’t like it
  • Hated it
  • Dropped

0 voters

1 Like

Just an fyi, I started reading the first ~5 pages and decided that while the grammar was fine, the kanji was a bit too difficult for me to do on my own (I’m not a fan of looking up >10 words per page :sweat_smile:). I’ve decided to postpone reading it to next summer when I should be ~level 40, and have finished some easier novels/light novels. See you then!

2 Likes

Oh wow, I had completely forgotten about this thread and this book.
I just got myself a bunch of other books, though, sooo it will have to wait for me too :confused:

2 Likes

I didn’t want potential readers to think that this thread/the book was abandoned, so I’m glad you hope to read it in the future too!

I just got a book haul too - I decided to throw caution to the wind and buy all 6 volumes of Hyouka so hopefully that will be a bit easier kanji-wise

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

I just read the first couple of pages from the amazon preview and I don’t think it’s any easier. To be fair, it’s a bit hard for me to judge what is easy and what is hard, but at the very least it does not have furigana…

1 Like
This reply ended up getting kinda long ごめん :sweat_smile:

I should probably mention that I’m watching the anime, so I know the general outline of what will happen in the first few books. That’s why even though there were about 13 words with kanji that I didn’t know in the first 2 pages, I could figure out what the letter said based on what I know from the anime. Plus I’m hoping that the school setting will mean that the kanji vocab introduced will be more basic/useful and easier to guess from context. Just after watching the movie for 世界から猫が消えたなら I can tell that it’s going to be kind of philosophical with more internal monologues and less action/conversations, so it’ll be a lot harder to guess what stuff means based on context.

On that note, コンビニ人間 will be the first novel I read that isn’t based on an anime/manga/movie I’ve already seen :fearful: I’ll be relying on everyone from the book club!

2 Likes

Ah, if you have context, it should be definitely easier. School settings do not always equate to more mundane plot (case in point: 鈴宮ハルヒの憂鬱 that we are about to read), but I trust that you already know that it will be the case here.
By the way, 13 words for 2 pages doesn’t feel so bad, actually. So, yeah, you’ll be fine :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve literally just started reading it :joy: is anyone else reading at the moment?

2 Likes

I know I’m months behind, but I just started reading!

Spoilers for page 17

When I read his list of 10 things I couldn’t help laughing. The demon’s response just made me laugh harder.

It was interesting that the first three things were kind of stereotypical for this type of list, the fourth I had to look up (but amounts to eating a lot of good food), five through seven were all media-related, and then the final three (I guess maybe five) were about love. The last one was the only one that felt remotely honest. Instead it felt like he was just pulling items out of a hat that contained things “for a guy in his twenties”.

I was actually expecting a much more dreary tone, but so far it’s had some pretty funny moments.

2 Likes

You’re so not late xD
I still haven’t gotten past page 30 or so xD I’ve decided to only read minimally this month and make September a reading and listening month. AKA read like a maniac, and this book will be the first one that I’ll tackle.

I hope you’ll fare better than me though and actually get through. That being said, I actually really enjoyed it and am itching to get back to it, but time is an issue at the moment, so gotta wait till September. Anyway, enjoy and feel free to post here and I’ll just bombard you with a wall of responses when I actually do get around to reading :wink:

1 Like

I’m about to read this book. If anyone want’s to read with me let me know! I don’t know what pace I’ll be reading at yet but I’m aiming to complete it by the end of the month :crossed_fingers:t4:

2 Likes

I literally just finished a couple days ago :joy:
It took me about 3 weeks to read it. Was my third attempt and I finally had enough time to read it (also I loved it). It was strangely easy for me to get through. Didn’t look up a single thing and understood most of everything.

Let us know what you think as you go along ^^

4 Likes

Due to a combination of life, school, and work I stopped reading (fun) books for a month. :cry: On the plus side, I got a promotion/new job!

I’m planning on getting back to reading 世界から猫が消えたなら this weekend, along with starting キッチン for intermediate book club. When I stopped this one I was around page 100. I really enjoyed what I’ve read so far, and like Kyayna, found it a pretty easy read. I hope you enjoy it too!

1 Like

Why are y’all reading a book with such a scary title? :cold_sweat::turtle:

9 Likes

To remind ourselves why it should never happen.

6 Likes

おめでとう!

I’m half way through on 水曜日 now. I really like the book and I also find it a pretty easy read. Not sure if it’s because this is my 5th book or if I’m actually able to judge the difficulty on this but it feels like the easiest of all the books I’ve read before. I think this would be a good first book for some people.

So far I really like the writing style and the way the story is presented. It’s quite captivating. Just the right amount of details and the dialogue is pretty crunchy too. (I’m sure no one says that but me)

3 Likes

I finished the book two days ago! I really enjoyed it, it was an easy read cute and a little emotional. I will admit I think I had my expectations a teensy bit high because it wasn’t as good as I wanted it to be but it was still very good. I’m honestly excited for the movie as I think it will fill in were the book was lacking.

Don’t know what I’m reading next lol. But I think I’ll take off for a week and choose a book for November.

6 Likes

Well, friends, I’m a bit late to the party, but I finally got around to start reading this book!
Hopefully bumping the thread will make others join as well :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes