ルリドラゴン ・ Ruri Dragon 🐲 Week 4

Giving it a hard look and I managed to stumble everywhere :laughing:

Page 36

What? Is she complaining that she didn’t talk to the friend she’s speaking to now then? :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Agreed, so she talked to all her classmates… reluctantly???

ルリもっと人っと話した方がいいよ
苦手なのは分かるけど
せっかく高校入れたんだし

My take:
“It’s better to talk more to other people Ruri. I understand if you don’t feel comfortable (doing so), but (the reason is) specially now that you’ve entered highscoolんだ( politely ?)”

Page 37

そういえばツノ以外は体に変化はないの?= “BTW, except from the horns, your body isn’t changing, right?” (right???)

ふーん何でツノだけ生えたんだろね="Hmm, I wonder why I only “sprouted” horns?"

How did you know it was the friend talking? I messed that up. The panel with that bubble shows Ruri looking to her left, how can I tell it was her friend talking?

…そういや確かに = “about that… clearly” I thought at first this meant “could it be?”

ツノが生えただけだな="I only grew these horns." (???)

父親がドラゴンと言う割にツノ以外ただの人間だな= “She said (momと言う) my dad is a dragon but with the exception of the horns I’m a normal human” Okay, that was rough I had major doubts if she was talking about her being normal or her father, I decided she was talking about herself based on intuition, but how can I be certain of whom are we speaking in this sentence?

もっと他に色々。。。="And there are so many other things…"

It’s odd trying to put the words in English, I feel I’m making extreme efforts and I will stop after just two pages. Apologies, this method is super difficult!
anime-capoo

Ps: Sorry Gorbit I quoted you on everything, I mainly used your answers to check my translations attempts! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes
Page 36

Kinda. She’s not complaining to her, just stating the fact (with a fair bit of weariness, because the reason she didn’t talk to her was because she was swamped by her classmates’ attention).

Yeah. By the looks of it, it was rather exhausting for her.

(I don’t feel super confident on せっかく高校入れたんだし, so I’ll let somebody else take that.)

4 Likes
p36

She’s complaining she couldn’t talk to her the whole day. Not necessarily meaning that literally the whole day they couldn’t talk, rather that up to that point she had no time

Everyone started suddenly talking to her, asking questions and giving her absolutely no space. I’d be peeved.

I don’t think that middle part is saying that. More like that she knows that Ruri isn’t good at it.

p37

Because the tail of the bubble goes inside. That signals that the talker isn’t in the panel.

I only grew horns (nothing else changed besides that).
Look at the placement of だけ. The whole “ツノが生えた” part is the “only”.

That’s fine, I have the thread on watching, so I’m pinged either way. Quote away.

8 Likes

:exploding_head:
I’ve been reading manga wrong my whole life.

Thanks for such swift answers!

7 Likes

Wow, that is quite the revelation.

Happens also on pages 28 and 30.

7 Likes
Page 36

So, I thought a bit more about it, and here’s my take:

“You should talk to people more, Ruri. I understand that you don’t like / aren’t comfortable (doing so), but having entered high school is a great opportunity.”

The Handbook of Japanese Grammar says:

(から and し both indiciate reason.)

I think the Y here is the first sentence. So reordered according to the grammar point it would be:
苦手なのは分かるけど
せっかく高校入れたんだし
ルリもっと人っと話した方がいいよ

(“I understand that you don’t like / aren’t comfortable (doing so), but having entered high school is a great opportunity, so you should talk to people more.”)

Page 37

I think it’s something like “Come to think of it, yeah…” (and then going into the next sentence)

I’m not sure if there’s a way to be sure just from the sentence, but from context (she was just talking about how she had only grown horns, nothing more) it seems clear that she’s talking about herself. Additionally, she has no idea about the state of her father.

I think the sentence means something like “Well, compared to my father the so-called dragon (or: who is called a dragon), apart from the horns I’m just a normal human.”

6 Likes

Last part of chapter 1! Go go go!

4 Likes

Oops, forgot to post my translations for this week. I’ve even had everything done since Wednesday. Overall, good week. Things are actually starting to pick up now.

Pages 36-38

ルリ:今日一日で話したことない。クラスメイト全員と話したかも。
Ruri: I haven’t spoken all day. I think I might have talked with everyone in class.

ユカ:それは…いいことじゃない?
Yuka: That…Isn’t that a good thing?

ユカ:ルリもっと人と話した方がいいよ。苦手なのは分かるけど。
Yuka: It would be better to speak with people more. But I understand that it’s hard to deal with.

ユカ:せっかく高校入れたんだし。はいルリの分。
Yuka: Especially since you got into high school. Here, it’s yours.

ルリ:嫌だ~
Ruri: Ugh…

ユカ:そういえばツノ以外は体に変化はないの?
Yuka: Come to think of it, is there no change to your body other than the horns?

ルリ:んーないなぁ
Ruri: There isn’t.

ルリ:ふーん…何でツノだけ生えたんだろね。
Ruri: Hmm…why have just the horns grown?

ルリ:「…そういや確かに。」
Ruri: […Now that you mention it, certainly.]

ルリ:「ツノが生えただけだな。」
Ruri: [I only grew the horns.]

ルリ:「父親がドラゴンと言う割にツノ以外ただの人間だな。」
Ruri: [Even though I say my father was a dragon, other than the horns, I’m just an ordinary human.]

ルリ:「もっと他に色々…」
Ruri: [There’s even more…]

ルリ:うぇ~汗で冷えたかも。
Ruri: Ehh…I might have gotten cold from the sweat.

Pages 39-41

先生:青木眠いかぁ!?
Teacher: Aoki! Are you sleepy!?

ルリ:えあっ!?はい!すみませ…?
Ruri: Eh!? Here! Sorry…?

生徒:寝グセ。
Student: Bed hair.

先生:てかお前何でツノ生えてんだ。
Teacher: I mean, why did you grow those horns?

ルリ:あぇ…それは
Ruri: Ah…that’s…

先生:よし青木続き読むか。
Teacher: Well Aoki, will you continue to read?

ルリ:嫌だ。
Ruri: Oh dear.

ユカ:28P。
Yuka: Page 28.

先生:立ってだぞ。
Teacher: Stand up.

Pages 42-44

生徒:えっ何今の。
Student: Eh-What now!?

生徒:え…あっつ。
Student: Ahh…It’s hot.

先生:おい何だ今のは。
Teacher: Hey, what is it now!?

生徒:青木が火吹いた。
Student: Aoki just breathed fire.

Pages 45-47

ユカ:ちょっルリ!?
Yuka: Wa-Ruri!?

ユカ:何今の大丈夫!?
Yuka: What is it, are you okay now!?

ユカ:えっ!!?すごい血。大丈夫!?
Yuka: Eh!!? That’s a lot of blood. Are you alright!?

ルリ:だだ大丈夫!全然ちょっと熱いだけ。
Ruri: I-I-I’m okay! It’s just a little hot, not a problem at all.

ユカ:全然大丈夫じゃないって。
Yuka: You’re not okay at all!

お母さん:っとここか。
Mum: Is it here?

お母さん:遅くなりました…青木です。
Mum: I ended up being late…It’s Aoki.

Pages 48-49

お母さん:うおっルリ。何してんの。
Mum: Oh, Ruri. What are you doing?

ルリ:先生とフレ交換してたゲームの。
Ruri: I was exchanging friend codes with sensei in this game.

お母さん:あの…娘が火吐いたそうで…
Mum: Well…it seems like my daughter spat fire…

ルリ:らしいです。
Ruri: It seems like it.

お母さん:遅くなってごめんね。大丈夫だった?
Mum: Sorry I was late. Were you alright?

ルリ:大丈夫に見える?
Ruri: Do I look alright?

お母さん:…見えない。
Mum: …You don’t.

お母さん:そりゃそっか火吐いたもんな…やけどまだ痛い?
Mum: That’s right, you spat fire…is the burn still painful?

お母さん:そっか。まだノドが龍じゃないんだ。
Mum: Is that so? Your throat is still not a dragon’s.

お母さん:お騒がせしてすみません。
Mum: Sorry to cause trouble.

先生:いえいえ。
Teacher: No, it’s fine.

お母さん:今日は連れて帰ります。
Mum: I’ll take Ruri home for today.

2 Likes
slight correction on p47

This なりました form is basically saying “I’m sorry for x”. So she said “I’m sorry for being late”

3 Likes
pg 36-38

These are meant to be read together, she is basically saying she might have spoke to all her classmates today that she has never spoken to before.

Rather than hard to deal with, you should use the “not good at” definition

“now that you mention it, that’s right/true”

“there should’ve been more…” She is saying if her dad is a dragon it’s kind of odd she only got one thing, so there should be more dragon parts to her

it’s not quite ehh, think of someone getting a shiver down their spine, that sort of thing

pg 42-44

“Eh! What was that, just now!?”

“Eh… hot!”
He says it in a way where he doesn’t really realize what’s going on

pg 45-47

“What was that, just now, are you okay!?”

What gorbit said

3 Likes

Since there are only 18 hours left on the vote, and not everyone might be reading the week 5 thread yet…

By the way, if any of you want to “level up” after this book club - the Beginner Book Club is currently (only 18h left!) voting on their next manga/book!

Sadly the start date is a bit inconvient since our last week here starts on May 6th, which is also when this BBC pick will start. But apart from that, the difference between ABBC and BBC is not that big, so if you feel like you’re doing well with Ruri Dragon, this might be a great next step!

3 Likes

Could you also translate the で as about, as in “I heard about how my daughter seems to have breathed fire, I wonder what’s with that, let’s talk about that”, sort of as a way to direct the conversation to that topic?

2 Likes

That で is just the て form of the copula. A sort of implied continuation

3 Likes

Just finished this section, with the exception of the end of the dialogue with Ruri’s mum, I think I managed to get a rough translation of all of it. Quite impressed considering in Week 1 I could barely get anything except keywords. On to the next one!

9 Likes

[Week 4] [Line 12] of the vocab sheet: The verb should be はいれる to enter, to go into.

1 Like

Good catch. Since はいれる is the conjugated version, I changed it to 入る / はいる. Thanks for the heads-up!

…as a side note, somebody has a very fitting anonymous avatar on Google sheet at the moment:
Honeyview_2024-01-03 00.56.24.531

3 Likes

Ugh. I was wondering why somebody was feeling the need to add so much to the vocab sheet, and it turns out the automatic part of the vocab sheet is broken and lots of cells just say #REF!. Seems like somebody deleted the Wiktionary sheet half a year ago :frowning:

Is there a way to fix that, @ChristopherFritz?

It looks like it was restored before I could take a look. Do you still see any current issues?

1 Like

No, looks good now. Thanks for taking a look, and thanks to the anonymous kind soul who restored it!

Might be smart at this point to lock it completely. Realistically there won’t be any huge edits, and if someone decides to take up the mantle, and put in the couple words that are still machine translated, they could be given permission separately.

I had a similar thing happen to a couple of my vocab sheets way back when, but then the only solution was restoring to a state where the griefing wasn’t there, throwing out a bunch of contributions