ルリドラゴン ・ Ruri Dragon 🐲 Week 5

Week 5 Mar 18 2023
Pages 50-60
Chapter 1
Previous week Week 4
Next week Week 5
Home Thread ルリドラゴン ・ Ruri Dragon
Last frame of of this week's part (page 59; page 60 is a drawing)

We’re reading volume 1 of this manga as part of the Absolute Beginner Book Club.

015d8981-0c63-4bb7-bf2f-c7edd9a8fe30

Vocabulary Sheet

The base for this vocab sheet was prepared using a fair amount of OCR/parsing, automated by @ChristopherFritz.

Some notes for using/improving it:

• Pages are physical page numbers (they are printed on some pages). Ebook reader pages might be off by a bit.
  • Some words might have been recognized or parsed incorrectly, e.g. they are split even though they belong together, or they are simply wrong and aren’t even in the manga. Feel free to correct/remove those if you see them!
  • Words might be missing. Feel free to add them!
  • By default, translations in grey are auto-filled with a list of possible meanings (from a Wiktionary database). If you know what the actual specific meaning in this context is, feel free to fill it in! (It’ll turn black then.)

Grammar Sheet

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: text here (that’s: [spoiler]text here[/spoiler]).
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked
  • Join the conversation — it’s fun!

The page numbers for ebook readers might be off by one or two. Some pages have physical page numbers on them, and you can use that to find out much off it is for you!

Participation Poll

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished

0 voters

For our new readers: How are you doing so far?

• It’s going really well
  • It’s going well
  • I’m struggling, but I manage
  • I’m struggling so much I’m thinking of dropping the book
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I have read harder manga/books than this one but I still need to click a poll option

0 voters

(This poll is anonymous.)

FAQ

You can find some general advice, useful resources for reading and the FAQ here.

Voice-over Video

If you also want to listen to Ruri’s adventures - there’s an official voice-over video!

This week’s part: 4:30 - end

8 Likes

Last part of chapter 1! You can do it!! :fire: :dragon_face: :fire:

11 Likes

So for this week, I had decided to only translate the parts that I had difficulty understanding, rather than going through line by line. Naturally, this week turned out to be by far the most difficult one for me, and I had difficulty understanding quite a few parts :smiling_face_with_tear:

Anyway, I had some questions:

Pg. 50

教室大丈夫だった?

I assumed that her mom was using 教室 to ask if the classroom was okay (i.e. – Did the classroom get burnt/damaged?) But Ruri’s response made me question whether in this context, 教室 was used more to refer to the students/teacher within the classroom than the classroom itself. Is this a good assumption, and if so is 教室often used in Japanese to refer to the class members rather than the room itself?

Pg. 51

隠してたつもりはないんだけどわざわざ言う必要ないと思ってたの

I really struggled with this sentence. I am interpreting this whole thing as a single sentence, but without punctuation I’m not sure if that’s correct. I broke it down like this:

隠してた = 隠して(-te form of 隠す = to conceal) + いた(past tense of いる = to be…ing) = “was being concealed”. This construction is then modifying the noun that follows it: つもり(“the intention”) which leaves roughly “the intention of concealing (in the past)” + は (so it’s the topic of the sentence) + ない (“is not (or “was not” since the first chunk is in the past tense?) + んだけど (I struggled here. I believe the ん is standing in for a の as we’ve seen before, and I think it’s being used to indicate that she’s going to talk about the reason for what came before it. The だけど means something like “however” and it is what leads me to believe that this and the following speech bubble form a single sentence.) + わざわざ(adverb - “taking the trouble”) + 言う (“to say”) + 必要ない (“unnecessary”) + と (quotation particle, used to put “taking the trouble to say (is) unnecessary” in quotes, more or less) + 思ってた (“I had thought” or “I was thinking”) + の (I actually decided to listen to the narrated version here to try to listen for a rising or falling tone and decide what purpose the の is serving here, but I’m not really sure other than that it doesn’t seem to be a question.)

All together, I ended up with a sentence that is more or less “It wasn’t my intention to hide it, I just thought it was unnecessary to take the trouble to say something (about the whole “being a dragon” thing).” On one hand, I feel good that (I think) I was able to interpret this sentence, but I would really like to have a more concrete understanding of what is going on here.

だって…こうなるの私も知らなかったんだもん

I’m interpreting the だって… as something like “Also/anyway/besides…” (more or less just implying that she had reasons for not saying anything). Then, I think the こうなる is “to turn out this way” and I believe the の is nominalizing it (is that correct?). + 私も (“I also” or in this case, since what comes after is negative, something like “nor I”) + 知らなかった (“didn’t know”) + んだもん (I believe it is just two sentence ending particles squished together のだ + もの then contracted. In this case, I think it’s just being used in combination with the だって at the beginning to rather emphatically attempt to justify her decision to not say anything). Put together I ended up with “Besides, I didn’t know it was going to end up like this either.” (Roughly, “Besides, this was a surprise to me too!”)

今まで人の姿で育ったからこれからもそうだと思うじゃん…?

“Until now” + 人の姿で (“in human form”) + 育ったから “because (you’ve) grown up” + これからも (“from now on also”) + そうだ (“it seems”) + と (quotation particle, turning the chunk before it into something she’s going to quote as a thought) + 思う (“to think”) + じゃん…? (“right?”). All together, “I thought (not really past tense but that feels better in English), since you’ve grown up in human form until now, it seems like you would continue like that, right?”

なのに今朝見たら角生えてるじゃん!?

なのに (I’m interpreting this as introducing this sentence as a contrast to the previous one. Basically, “And yet…” + 今朝 (“this morning”) + 見たら (“when I saw”) + 角生えてる (“you’d grown horns”) + じゃん!? (“right?!”) I’m not clear on how this sentence fits with the one before it, and the じゃん doesn’t really fit to me. Actually, what fits best in my mind is making it “And yet, this morning when I saw you’d grown horns…” and sticking it with the first sentence on the following page.

Pg. 52

正直ビビったわ

This seems to me to fit best when combined with the last sentence on the previous page, leaving “And yet, this morning when I saw you’d grown horns…honestly, I was scared.” This whole section seems to fit together as a cohesive explanation/justification. Very roughly, “I didn’t say anything before because it seemed unnecessary, since it appeared that you weren’t going to display any dragon-like attributes. Then, this morning when it became clear that you were in fact going to have those attributes, I was too scared and surprised to explain it to you better.”

人と龍の子が全く人の姿のまま生まれてくるのも おかしな話だけどね つくづく奇妙な生物だわ…

Once again, the lack of punctuation is throwing me for a loop. And as a result, I am torn between two ways of interpreting this section, depending on where exactly these sentences start and end: “It’s crazy that the child of a human and a dragon would be born in totally human form. It’s an incredibly peculiar creature.” OR “It’s crazy that the child of a human and a dragon would be born in totally human form, when it’s actually a totally different creature.”

Actually, I’m pretty iffy on this part in general, and both of those translations are VERY rough, since I can’t figure out exactly what’s going on here grammatically. I’m playing particularly fast and loose with おかしな話だけどね since I can’t really figure out how to fit it in other than by just interpreting it as referring to the whole thing as being crazy/absurd/fantastic, comparing it to a wild fable.

I don’t really understand what purpose まま is serving here. I understand that it can refer to a condition or state, but it seems like the sentence would mean exactly the same thing without it.

I don’t understand what purpose のも is serving at the end of the first part of the speech bubble.

I don’t have a firm grasp on what だけどね is doing grammatically.

…でもビックリしたよね

Again here I feel like I understand more or less what she’s saying (“But it was quite a shock, huh?”), but I don’t understand how to make that fit, grammatically. It looks like ビックリした can be used as an interjection meaning something like “oh my god!” but that doesn’t seem right here. Or using it as a suru verb, leaving “was surprised/shocked/frightened”. But this seems like an incomplete thought. I suppose it could be “But, you were shocked right?”

ドラゴンが父親なんて なかなか言いづらくて

Again, very confused about what’s going on here. I interpreted it more or less as “Having a dragon for a father…such a thing is quite difficult to talk about.” But I’m not very confident of that translation, and I have no idea how to parse it grammatically. It feels like it’s missing a lot. I’m assuming the が here is marking ドラゴンas the subject, but then the 父親 feels like it needs a copula after it at least, but then that would result in something like “a dragon is your father” when it seems like it should be the other way around (父親がドラゴンだ) or something to that effect. And I have no clue what the なんて is doing.

Pg. 53

もう わたしは別に誰が父親でも気にしないよ そうじゃなくて!

Is the もう here just a generic interjection like “Oh, come on…” or is it being used in some other way? I don’t really know how to interpret the author’s choice to use わたし in kana instead of kanji here. After reading some other things, I have seen kana used in place of kanji when the speaking character is very young, to imply a sort of innocence/lack of knowledge. But Ruri doesn’t seem young enough for that, so I don’t know what the logic is and I more or less ignored it as unimportant, but it still bothers me not understanding why. Next, the でも here is odd to me. I don’t think it’s being used as “~or something” and I definitely don’t think it’s being used as “but”. My best guess is it’s being used in something like it’s “even” meaning to imply “I don’t even…” but in that case, its placement is odd to me. Overall, I’m interpreting this sentence very roughly as “Hey, but I don’t even give a sh*t who my father is!” (Obviously this isn’t a direct translation, just the feeling I get from it.) But I would love to have a better understanding of what’s going on here grammatically speaking.

そうじゃなくて!

I’m interpreting this as “I didn’t mean it like that, but rather…” contrasting this statement with the following sentence. That said, I’m not really sure what she means or what she’s referring to.

ずっと一緒にいる母親がずっと何か隠してるのは なんか…さみしい

And, yet again, I’m almost totally lost here but I’ll take a stab at it: ずっと一緒にいる this whole chunk could be a verb modifying the noun 母親 in which case it would be something like “Mother, who has been together (with me) from the beginning” + が making it the subject + ずっと何か隠してる “has been keeping something hidden the whole time” + のは (nominalizing that whole chunk and making it the topic of the sentence) なんか…さみしい “kinda…lonely.” Resulting in roughly, “Mom, you’ve been with me from the beginning, carrying this secret with you the whole time…(must be) kinda lonely.” How close did I get?

大人になったね

Best guess here is that she’s saying “You’ve grown up” to Ruri, reflecting the maturity in Ruri’s understanding of the burden of keeping a secret like that, and the compassion demonstrated by thinking of that rather than just being angry that her mother didn’t tell her before. Not sure how accurate this interpretation is.

はよ車出せ

At first, I thought this was her mother jokingly saying something like “You’re so grown up now, soon we’ll have to get you a car!” But actually I think this is Ruri talking (although I’m confused about the square-ish speech bubble). The feeling I got from it is “Hey, focus on driving!” but again I’m not sure how to get there, grammatically. はよ is listed on Jisho as a slang form of 早く meaning early, quickly, or soon. 車 is car. And 出せ could be the imperative form of 出す (to get out). So literally “get out of this car, quickly.” Or, the interpretation I’m most happy with: “Get (me) out of this car, quickly.” Which I read as “Ugh mom, please just hurry up and get home so I can get out of this car.” Typical teenage embarrassment about a conversation with a parent getting too deep/emotional.

Pg. 54

今日ねお父さんに会ってきたんだ

Is the ね here just replacing the は particle? I haven’t seen that before, but I’m assuming that’s the case since it fits perfectly.

Pg. 55

お父さんにルリのこと話したらさ…喜んでたよ

This part is (I think) “When I told your father about Ruri’s (your) situation……he was delighted.” I’m not sure about the さ there. Is it doing something specific or just a generic sentence ending particle for emphasis? And is this the conditional たら or does it combine with the さ to do something else?

俺の子だとか何とか言ってさ

“He was saying ‘It’s my child.’ Or something like that.” Not sure about the さhere either.

こっちの気も知らないで

I’m more or less at a complete loss here.

龍でも子の成長は嬉しいもんかね~

I’m not sure how to parse the でも. My best guess is it’s saying “Even dragons…” but then I’m not sure how to connect that to the 子. My interpretation of the complete sentence is something like, “I guess even dragons get excited to see their children growing up, huh?” With the もんかね just serving to add a “I wonder” or other speculative feeling to the sentence.

Pg. 56

まあ 知ってても避けようがないよな…

I’m a bit confused about the grammar here, even though the meaning seems clear enough, roughly “Well, even knowing, could it be avoided?” Specifically, I’m confused about the volitional form (or what I believe to be the volitional form, of 避ける+ が + ない construction. I’m assuming it’s basically just “not be able to avoid”?

I feel pretty comfortable with the rest, thankfully!

13 Likes
p. 50

I think it might be both. The word 教室 refers to the room itself, as far as I’m aware, but given the circumstances I can see that including the people in it. I don’t think it can really refer to the class outside the context of “the people in a classroom” though.

p. 51

You’ve basically got it.

You’ve essentially got two sentences connected via けど:

隠してたつもりはないんだ

けど

わざわざ言う必要ないとおもってたの

In the first sentence, you’ve got everything basically. んだ is a contraction of のだ, which is the explanatory の with だ attached, basically. In somewhat natural-sounding English I’d translate it to “It’s not that I planned to hide it”.

けど is “however”

And then the second sentence is a quoted sentence, わざわざ言う必要ない (breakdown on this later), followed by と思ってた to indicate “that’s what I was thinking”, and another explanatory の to indicate this is the reason she didn’t tell Ruri about being a half-dragon.

As for わざわざ言う必要ない:

わざわざ is an adverb indicating essentially that the verb it modifies is something you make a deliberate effort for that you maybe wouldn’t make under normal circumstances, hence the “taking the trouble” translation.

言う refers to telling Ruri about her father and half-dragonness

必要 is “need”, as a noun, being modified by 言う to indicate what need there is or isn’t - note that need in this sense refers to some kind of practical need, not a moral obligation or something.

ない is in this case basically the negative of ある.

So わざわざ modifies 言う, the whole verb phrase わざわざ言う modifies 必要, and there’s a sort of implicit が or は between 必要 and ない. So as a result, this means something like “there is no [practical] need to make an active effort to tell you”

Putting that together and phrasing it more naturally, it’d be something like “it’s not that I tried to hide it from you, but I didn’t think there was a need to tell you especially”. Or in more words, her mom wasn’t really trying to conceal Ruri’s heritage from her, but with her thinking there was no practical reason Ruri really needed to know, she didn’t really make an effort to tell her (and thereby burden her with the knowledge that she wasn’t entirely human).

It’s more along the lines of “after all”. It’s not really an aside from what she said previously, it’s a logical followup and a direct line of reasoning. Grammatically, I believe it’s だ as a sort of placeholder for the preceding statements, and って as a quoting particle, but I might be wrong about that.

I think so, yes. It basically nominalises こうなる for use as the object for 知る.

That’s right

Basically, yes

As a small correction,

そう only means “seems like” in certain constructions, in this case it means “like that”. Funnily enough in your translation you seem to have translated this そう twice, once meaning “seems” and once meaning “like that”.

The way I’d translate this somewhat naturally is “Until now you grew up in human form so you’d expect it to be like that from now on as well, right?”

じゃん is also just an emphatic sentence ender indicating something like surprise or incredulity - so it’s something like “but when I saw you this morning there were horns growing [from your head], right!?”

Where the “right!?” doesn’t really mean she’s asking for confirmation, it’s more something to indicate how surprised she was at the time - precisely because it’s in stark contrast what she’d stated before, namely that she’d expect Ruri to just stay completely human, at least in form.

p. 52

I don’t know if I’d say this is still part of her justification for not telling Ruri - this feels more like a separate explanation that despite her deadpan attitude over breakfast she was really surprised and a bit nervous because something completely unexpected happened. It’s not so much that she didn’t explain at the time because she was too scared or surprised - she basically told Ruri all she knows right then and there, after all, which isn’t much to begin with.

Pretty easy to figure out in this case: ね is a sentence ender :wink:

So the two sentences are:

人と龍の子が全く人の姿のまま生まれてくるのも おかしな話だけどね

“It’s a pretty strange thing [lit: story] for the child of a human and a dragon to be born as completely human [in shape/form] though, isn’t it?”

and つくづく奇妙な生物だわ

“It [as in the child of a dragon and human] is a very strange creature”

I’m not entirely sure how to explain it, but 人に姿のまま is essentially saying “in the [permanent/remaining] condition of being human-shaped”

の nominalises the preceding phrase, も is just も as in “also” - meaning there’s already plenty that’s weird about the whole thing, and it’s also weird that a human/dragon hybrid would be completely human in appearance.

It’s pretty much the same as ending a sentence with “though” in English. In this case it’s sort of like “contrary to how I’ve been acting/thinking all this time” I guess.

Or just generically “this [as in the whole situation of Ruri waking up with horns] sure was a surprise”

You can imagine an implicit copula there. I think the な in なんて functions as one grammatically, but I’m not 100% sure of that.

It’s basically “such a thing as …”

Not necessarily. Both orders can work, in both languages. Keeping the order of words I’d translate this as “something like a dragon being your father, that’s a pretty difficult thing to tell you about”

It’s a matter of what you choose to emphasise, I guess.

p. 53

It’s exactly that!

I don’t think there’s a reason really. Just stylistic choice. Maybe he wasn’t in the mood for a kanji. Maybe he forgot to have his IME convert it. Maybe he flipped a coin.

It’s connected to 誰. 誰でも means “whoever” - she’s saying she’s not really interested in whoever her father is

It’s a sort of reassuring phrase towards her mother, or a statement meaning something like “don’t misunderstand me”. Basically, with the preceding sentence it’s making it clear to her mother that despite what she may think, Ruri doesn’t care who her father is.

You’ve got it, basically!

I think you’ve basically got it. I initially interpreted this more as Ruri feeling a bit hurt that her mother, who had been with her the whole time, would hide something from her, but that doesn’t really make sense with what follows.

Yup! A thing to note about 大人 is that it doesn’t just refer to physically growing up, but also maturity in terms of emotional/mental/social development, which is how she’s using it here.

車 would be the object of 出す, so that’s not right. She’s telling her mom to start driving, which is another meaning of 出す. Funnily enough I don’t see it listed on Jisho, but it does appear in some (but also not all for some reason) monolingual dictionaries:

乗り物を発進させる

p. 54

Not quite, there’s not really any other particle to replace. There’s just no は, 今日 can be used without any particle whatsoever. It’s just calling Ruri’s attention - something like “listen”. So like “Hey listen, today I went to meet your father”. If there were a は there, you could actually see something like 今日はね

Why it’s positioned after 今日 instead of at the beginning of the sentence, I’m not entirely sure, but it’s something you see occasionally.

p. 55

The latter, just an assertive/emphatic sentence ender

Just the conditional

さ is the same sentence ender as before

So directions can be used to refer to people or parties in a conversation. This is something you’ll see pretty often, especially in polite speech, so it can be good to be aware of. こっちの気 in this case is something like “my/our (as in Ruri’s and her mom’s) feelings”. ~ないで is just “without …”, referring to what she said earlier. Ruri’s dad was all happy about it, and saying stuff like “well that’s my daughter for you” without even knowing about how they feel.

Basically.

The 子 is part of the entire following clause: 子の成長は嬉しい. Looks like you got that essentially, your translation checks out to me.

p. 56

You’re looking at this grammar point:

https://jlptsensei.com/learn-japanese-grammar/ようがない-you-ga-nai-meaning/

Basically “even knowing about it, there’s no way to avoid it” - basically meaning, knowing about everything doesn’t change anything about what happens to her.

15 Likes

First off, thank you so much for the detailed and incredibly helpful reply! You really helped clear up the doubts I had.

I just had a few follow-up questions:

Pg. 53

Okay so if I’m understanding correctly, 誰でも is a single word that is being split in half, leaving the 誰 followed by the が subject particle, then 父親, then sticking the でも in. Is that a common thing in Japanese? I mean, can other words just be arbitrarily split up and have other things stuck in the middle like that? Is 誰でも a noun?

I’m still pretty confused on the grammatical rules in play here :sweat_smile:

Which part of my translation is off? Or do you mean it seems off without the context of the following part indicating that the comment is seemingly positive towards her mother rather than negative?

Ohh, that makes sense. In that case, is there an implicit/omitted を after 車, or would it not be necessary here?

Pg. 55

That’s good to know! If I’m understanding correctly, you would interpret this as her father being all excited and oblivious to the fact that Ruri and her mother might not be quite as elated about the whole situation? As in, it didn’t even occur to him that someone might not be thrilled about suddenly growing horns.

Thanks again for your help, I learned a lot!

5 Likes
p. 53

Not really, でも is a particle. Things can come in between 誰 and でも to essentially specify which 誰 you’re talking about. Note that this can also extend to verbs with ~ても (which is the same thing as でも anyway). So 誰が父親でも means “whoever my father is”, 誰が知っても means “whoever knows”, and so on.

What constitutes a single word in Japanese isn’t necessarily straightforward, anyway. A lot of the language consists of tacking different things together into various constructions. A lot of grammar points you see are just some combination of auxiliary verbs, adjectives, and particles.

In the above construction, yes. You can see it with other “question words” you can attach でも to as well, like 何言っても (whatever you say), どこから来ても (wherever it comes from), どうやっても (however you do it), and so on.

It’s a pronoun, technically, I think? But then again I think that’s because 誰 is a pronoun.

Oops! Ignore that. I kept going back and forth on my post, and this was a mistake on my part I forgot to edit out.

Yup! You see that a lot in casual speech, that kind of omission of particles.

p. 55

Yeah, exactly. He’s just thrilled about his daughter growing up to show dragon traits, while completely ignoring the fact that they’re living in human society, this is a very sudden change for both of them, they have no idea what’s coming next, and so on.

8 Likes
p53

In this case I like to think of でも as the actual combination of で and も. So 誰でも would be “Even with whoever, (I don’t care)”, so the actual sentence would be in this sense “Even with whoever being my father, I don’t care”. 誰でも isn’t the only thing that can appear like that. For example if you say “車でも(間に合わない)”, that’s still valid, it means something along the lines of “Even if X”. In this case X would be “誰が父親”

5 Likes

Wow, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much!

3 Likes
Pg. 53

This one confused me at first as well, so let me make sure I understand correctly. 「で」in this case is functioning as the ~て form of 「だ」? So:

だれだ?
Who is it?

だれでも
Whomever it is…

Likewise:

だれが父親だ?
Who is my father?

だれが父親でも
Whomever my father is…

If that is the case, what is the difference between this and an embedded question, e.g. 「だれが父親か気にしないよ」? I guess the literal translation of these two would be “whomever my father is, I don’t care” and “I don’t care who my father is”.

6 Likes

Already a new week is here! I finished my lessons just in time to jump into this week’s pages, so far my Saturday has been very busy.

The first couple of pages were difficult, now that I’m paying more attention to the way things are written I feel it much harder, kind of want to change my vote in the poll to “I’m struggling but managing”. I wonder if the manga just got a bit harder compared to previous weeks or it’s me that fell in a pit of confusion…

Anyway, thanks @yamitenshi for your clarifications!

12 Likes

I can confirm that, at least from my perspective, this week’s section is significantly more difficult than the previous weeks’. Still manageable (thanks to @yamitenshi), but definitely harder.

10 Likes

I’m early!!! I’m early!!! ahh this is such a nice feeling.

Me too. I finished last week’s readings more or less within 30 mins, but this week was so hard (but also equally rewarding ig)

@Markdg’s questions and @yamitenshi’s clarifications literally saved me this week, so thank you so much for that. I still have a few (very silly) questions though:

Page 51
  • 火はくなんてくなんて知らなかったしさ。。- I understood the dialogue to be something like “I didn’t even know I could breath out fire like that…” but what’s “しさ”?
  • 隠してたつもりはないんだけど - again, translated this as “My intention was not to hide it from you” but what’s the た doing in “隠してた”? t_t
Page 53
  • はよ車出せ - Not really a questions but I have such a huge problem with 出す. I know it has several meanings, but I saw a reading set use this word for “falling in love” too. I have no idea how to grasp all the meanings for this one.

On a side note, I really love how soft Ruri and her mom are. I enjoyed their interactions this week, especially when Ruri gets embarrassed after her mom apologizes :face_holding_back_tears:.

also, one smol challenge I'm facing

I know that that I may be in the minority in facing this problem, but I really wish that furigana were included by default for all kanji in the forums. Even after reading through the manga, listening to the voice-over, and trying to translate everything - it is still quite difficult to read comments that are heavy on kanji. For now, I’m just trying to list out all the kanji and search their meanings and readings on Jisho. It’s not too difficult, but I just wanted to know if I’m the only one with this problem.

And lastly, my favourite panel:

ruri 1
ruri is stirring up feelings of CUTE AGGRESSION in me.

9 Likes

よかった! I genuinely believed I was regressing with the manga lol

Omg same, I just felt that things were much more complicated this week, and not just grammar, it took a lot of time and I couldn’t find some words in the vocabulary sheet so I felt I should already know those maybe! Ughh haha!

And about your issue, don’t you have Yomichan? (it’s an addon in the browser that lets you check kanji in a dictionary and it shows you the reading by just pressing shift) it’s really useful! tofugu link to yomichan

In my case. I struggle sometimes with the furigana size in the actual manga, I read on my phone and I have to be zooming in like a blind bat all the time to read the words for ants.

8 Likes
p51

I’m pretty sure し indicates that the sentence is a (slightly negative) reason, and さ is just a sentence ender that makes it a bit more assertive, forceful, however you want to put it.

It’s the past tense of ている with the い omitted. Since it’s a past continuous statement. “Why were you hiding…”

p53

You read enough and meet the possible meanings. This is one of those big issues general language learning has. Words can have a ton of possible meanings, and the only way to know those is to grow your reading legs and actually see them used that way. Just think about how many meanings for example the word “open” could have. Even if English is your native language, you probably won’t be able to list them out.

It’s most likely because you don’t have a strong grasp on kanji or vocab yet, that’s perfectly normal. Over time you will be able to mostly keep the readings in your head after you read already looked up the unknown words (mainly because the number of them will decrease). For the time being though, you can try making that process of looking up words a slight bit faster by using for example yomichan to look them up whenever you don’t know one.

I’d personally spoiler this tbh

8 Likes

ikrrr, I relate so much to this hsjhsjh

Thanks for the link btw, I know yomichan but never really checked it out because I was already overwhelmed with how many websites/apps I was using. This is going to be super helpful though, thank you!

Yeah me to tbh. This week I played the youtube voice-over video along with reading the manga. The furigana was much easier to read in the video, so I watched it on mute once, read the page, and then played the video.

Yes, I’ll definitely try doing that. Thank you so much for answering my questions!

I did use the spoiler tag for the panel though? or do you mean you would spoil it because it’s so incredibly cute? Sorry I got confused :joy:

6 Likes

Oh lol, I see now, it was just I had some autounspoiling script on, sorry for that :joy:

Yep, that’s what happens when you are the publisher and you have all the raws ready to use.

5 Likes

Reading with Mokito from this week on, thanks to the thread describing how to set it up made by @ChristopherFritz , and wow it’s good, it even got parsed the handwritten kanjis from the texts :joy: (though not correctly oops)

5 Likes

Honestly, deadpan humour and cute story aside, Ruri’s expressions are pretty much the best thing about the manga IMO :smile:

6 Likes

Thanks everyone for the explanations this week, really helpful. I just have two more things I’m confused about.

Pg. 58

何って言われても
…何だろ

The first part of this seems to be saying something like “even if I said what”, but the second part confuses me. Since she follows this up by essentially saying they can talk later, it makes me think this means something along the lines of “how should I say…”, but I don’t know how the grammar works here.

Pg. 59

ノド焼けてんのに刺激物か

The word 「刺激物」is what’s getting me here. The vocab list/jisho suggests it means “stimulant” or “something exciting”, but that’s hard to fit into the sentence. My best guess is that this whole thing means something like “even though your throat is burned, [you want] somthing spicy?” (implying it might hurt to eat).

6 Likes
Page 58

You mixed up a ら with a わ:
何って言われても
…何だろう

言われても is passive (probably indirect passive) + ても “even if”.

So, literally translated this is “Even if “What (is a dragon)?” is said at me. […] I wonder what it is.”

I think the first and second parts are separate sentences, and the first part has something omitted afterwards.

In my opinion, it’s probably (again a bit literally): “Even if you ask me what a dragon is, I have trouble answering. Huh…”

So, essentially she’s saying that she can’t explain it properly or easily.

言われても always trips me up a little. If anybody has a better (or more accurate) explanation, please correct me.

Page 59: I agree with your translation.

7 Likes