ルリドラゴン ・ Ruri Dragon 🐲 Week 7

Week 7 Apr 1 2023
Pages 76-86
Chapter 2
Previous week Week 6
Next week Week 8
Home Thread ルリドラゴン ・ Ruri Dragon
Last frame of of this week's part (page 85; page 86 is a drawing)

Kindle_2023-04-01 01.57.46.833

We’re reading volume 1 of this manga as part of the Absolute Beginner Book Club.

015d8981-0c63-4bb7-bf2f-c7edd9a8fe30

Vocabulary Sheet

The base for this vocab sheet was prepared using a fair amount of OCR/parsing, automated by @ChristopherFritz.

Some notes for using/improving it:

• Pages are physical page numbers (they are printed on some pages). Ebook reader pages might be off by a bit.
  • Some words might have been recognized or parsed incorrectly, e.g. they are split even though they belong together, or they are simply wrong and aren’t even in the manga. Feel free to correct/remove those if you see them!
  • Words might be missing. Feel free to add them!
  • By default, translations in grey are auto-filled with a list of possible meanings (from a Wiktionary database). If you know what the actual specific meaning in this context is, feel free to fill it in! (It’ll turn black then.)

Grammar Sheet

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: text here (that’s: [spoiler]text here[/spoiler]).
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked
  • Join the conversation — it’s fun!

The page numbers for ebook readers might be off by one or two. Some pages have physical page numbers on them, and you can use that to find out much off it is for you!

Participation Poll

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished

0 voters

For our new readers: How are you doing so far?

• It’s going really well
  • It’s going well
  • I’m struggling, but I manage
  • I’m struggling so much I’m thinking of dropping the book
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I have read harder manga/books than this one but I still need to click a poll option

0 voters

(This poll is anonymous.)

FAQ

You can find some general advice, useful resources for reading and the FAQ here.

Voice-over Video

If you also want to listen to Ruri’s adventures - there’s an official voice-over video!

This week’s part: 4:39 - end

9 Likes

This time I’m starting off this week on page 79

8 Likes

Your ability to hold yourself back is an inspiration to all of us in the “I have finished this part” section.

10 Likes

I’m actually fully reading this part with the club. Haven’t read ahead, didn’t yet finish the entire book in a mad dash fueled by cute dragon girl. I’m really proud of myself.

10 Likes
spoiler, because apparently spoiler tags don't hide enough

My heart, it can’t take this cuteness

Edit:
Keep it coming, I don’t mind this at all

9 Likes

Okay so I never did go through the last week’s and try to look things up. But I have been enjoying the manga, with the bits that I do comprehend. It’s really hard not to just keep going through and to stop - it’s really enjoyable. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

おばあちゃん’s slang was difficult to understand, but I enjoyed their interactions. Also, I love the expressions in this manga, why does it have to be so good :sob:

3rd chapter illustration

On to the questions

page 77

とりあえずこれでもう爆発はしないはずだよ - “for now”…. [that’s the only thing I got lol]

とりあえず - for now

これでもう - even if it looks like that

暴発はしない - it was not a spontaneus fire (?)

はずだよ - be sure to (?)

page 80

今回のことを報告しに行った - “This time, we went to share the information.” Is ruri talking about sharing all that happened with her grandmother, or is it something else?

page 81

龍になったことで変わる色々を実感した一日だった - I understand that Ruri realized that a lot of things changed from the day she became a dragon but I do not understand the sentence structure at all TT

8 Likes

That’s actually the beginning of the next chapter, but I digress.

p77

とりあえずこれでもう爆発はしないはずだよ - “for now”…. [that’s the only thing I got lol]
[/quote]
とりあえず - for now
これでもう - like this already
爆発は - accidental discharge
しない - not do
はず - should
“for now you at least you shouldn’t have accidental discharges anymore” (since she learned what it feels like to have one)

The は is acting like an emphasis marker, since 暴発する is “to discharge accidentally”

p80

“We went to share the news about the current situation”, 今回のこと is pretty much that here

p81

It’s a deeply nested sentence
The first part is “龍になったこと”, nominalized the sentence “became a dragon”
Placed before で, pretty much “By becoming a dragon…”

Then comes the mid-level
“…変わる色々を実感した”
変わる色々 is the “various things that changed”. を実感した is that “I experienced the various things that changed”
Put together sofar. “By becoming a dragon, I experienced the various things that changed”

Now this whole thing is modifying 一日, which gives itself the meaning of “it was a day full of…”. So “It was a day full of experiencing various things that changed by becoming a dragon”.
Yes, that sentence is exactly in the reverse order from the Japanese one.

16 Likes

i’m reading ahead lol, but i’ll swing back around when i’m doing my anki adds from the book probs

3 Likes

A few questions:

Pg. 76

何でだろこんな普通に出るもんなんだ...ていうか

I’m a bit confused by this sentence. I recognize most of the parts, but I’m not really sure how they fit together.

何で - Why
だろ - I think; it seems
こんな - This kind of
普通に - Normally; generally
出る - To come out
もん - Because (Or just a contracted もの=thing?)
なんだ - (Just adding emphasis?)
ていうか - I mean?

Pg. 77

血が出たのも人間のままのノドがビックリしただけみたいよ

The grammar here is confusing me.
血が出たのも – Using the の particle to nominalize the verb “bleeding”, turning it from into “the bleeding”. But then I’m confused about the も here. It seems like は would make more sense, since I’m not sure what the “also” would be here. I’m assuming it’s being used as an intensifier (“even the bleeding”) but I’m struggling to make that fit with the rest of the sentence.
人間のままのノドが – “The human throat” or “the throat in human form”, followed by a second が particle, making this the subject of the sentence, I think?
ビックリした – “Was surprised”
だけみたいよ – I’m lost here. The だけ would be “just/only”, and adding みたい to it makes it “like/seems like”. The よ is just the normal emphatic sentence-ending よ particle I’m assuming.

Put together, I’m getting something like “It seems like the bleeding was just because your human throat was surprised.” Which makes sense, more or less, but I don’t understand the grammar here at all.

6 Likes

Not 100% confident on page 76, and I’m missing an explanation for the もん which I hope somebody else can supply.

Page 76

So, I think that’s:

• 何でだろ - I wonder why
  • こんな - like this
  • 普通に - naturally/without any issues
  • 出る - come out
  • もん - (I don’t know why this is here, honestly - if anybody does, I’d also like to know!)
  • なんだ - explanatory
  • ていうか - I mean…
  • 全然痛くない… - it doesn’t hurt at all… (from the next page)

So something like: “I wonder why it came out feeling so natural like this. I mean… it doesn’t hurt at all…”

Page 77

I think the “also” might be refering to the other effects apart from the blood: Pain, and burns.

I’m not sure how you’re lost, because you got it exactly, and you also use it properly in your translation :laughing:

• ノドがビックリした - The throat was surprised
  • ノドがビックリしただけ - The throat was just surprised / It was just the throat being surprised
  • ノドがビックリしただけみたい - It seems the throat was just surprised / It seems it was just the throat being surprised

(Bonus:ノドがビックリしたみたい - It seems the throat was surprised)

Btw, you left out the のまま part in your translation - “your throat, which was still (in the state of being) human”.

9 Likes
p76, also not perfectly certain about it, but this is what I think is happening

I think もん here is either nominalizing the 普通に出る part, kinda like replacing that whole part with a 場合:
何でだろこんな場合なんだ
In this case, もん stands for “the easily-coming-outness”.
The other idea, I don’t believe in as much is that it’s a placeholder for the fire, in which case that part of the sentence would translate to “easily coming out [fire]”

Though I like to just let もん go, it’s one of the most confusing parts of Japanese, and I’m sure it’s more efficient to learn it through seeing it used.

10 Likes
p. 76

Does もの even work as a nominaliser like that? I know こと does but I can’t find anything about もの working the same way.

I really do think it’s just regular ol’ 物 meaning “thing” (or substance, or stuff, or …, referring to the fire), and not a piece of grammar involving もの/もん. “A thing that comes out ordinarily/under normal circumstances” (or I guess without issues - but that’s interpretation, I don’t really see anything in dictionaries pointing to that meaning specifically, but I’m sort of extrapolating from the idea that 普通 refers to there not being much of a change from the ordinary, in this case referring to how Ruri’s feeling after spitting fire I guess.

8 Likes
Page 76

普通に - Jisho.org, meaning 3.

And yeah, I agree that もの meaning “fire” makes sense here.

5 Likes
p. 76

I wonder where they’re getting that - if you look at Weblio for instance that doesn’t seem to be referenced anywhere.

Though maybe it’s the same kind of reasoning following from “not much different from the usual”? Whatever the case, it makes sense here, so I guess I can only agree with it as a translation, but I can’t help but wonder where it comes from.

5 Likes

I find it pretty funny, that every week, stuff happen in the story, but mostly they are busy eating / talking about what they will eat / buying stuff to eat :joy:

8 Likes

I feel like I have that problem rather often. :rofl: I can figure out the individual parts well enough to infer the meaning of a sentence, but I don’t know the grammar rules in a concrete sense so it makes me feel like I’m just guessing instead of actually knowing/understanding.

Thanks for your help!

@Gorbit99 @yamitenshi @TobiasW いつも助けてくれてありがとう。

8 Likes

Glad I was able to catch up again after falling off about 3 weeks. Hold steady!!

7 Likes
p76

Not the best source, but I thought it was the usual ‘emotive childish/feminine’ sentence ender particle もん rather than specifically standing for もの (though they often get confused and work more or less the same anyway).

If you sound it out it just sounds like something you might say when you’re complaining about something (she’s not really complaining but she’s sort of like “I don’t get it, whyyyyyyy did it worrrrrrk this timeeeeee”)

4 Likes
p. 76

Two gripes I have with that: it’s not a sentence ender because there’s still なんだ after it, and もん as an emotive sentence ender expresses dissatisfaction which makes no sense here - if you read further you see the thing she’s confused about is it didn’t hurt this time. Hardly something to complain about.

4 Likes