クレヨンしんちゃん Volume 1 Discussion 💩

It’s certainly more convincing than anything I’ve managed to come up with :smiley:

So in other news… I bought Animal Crossing and it’s… uhm… interfered with Japanese somewhat :sweat_smile:

Page 52

The only meaning I am finding for むりやり is “forcibly; against one’s will”, but that doesn’t seem to make a whole lot of sense here. Is there a colloquial meaning I am missing?

Page 53

So there’s いっそ (‘preferably’) and 殺せ (imperative, ‘kill’). Is she saying something like ‘kill me now’, ‘I’d rather be dead’, etc. because she is feeling so miserable and embarrassed?

1 Like

For こっちのもん, it’s like “in the bag.” I found an example with English on twitter:

“(仕事)すでにこっちのもんだ(手中にある)/It’s already in the bag.” (tweet)

So I think what she’s saying is if she can get him to the dentist’s office, it’s in the bag. As in, she just has to deceive him enough to get him through the office door and she’s won.

3 Likes

Haha have fun with Animal Crossing!

p.52 - I think it makes sense. Even though it’s a bathroom scale and not a medical thermometer, Shin-chan still places it under Misae’s underarms as if to take her temperature with it (like with an actual thermometer).

p. 53 - exactly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, it never occurred to me people take their temperature by putting the thermometer under the armpits. I always thought you put it in your mouth (or up your arse haha). Thanks :slight_smile:

O goodness, seems like Shinnosuke isn’t the only one suffering under Misae’s reign of terror :rofl:

Page 54

Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 19.42.13

Is this an inexhaustive list や? So ‘Mom (but dad you can respond too), one tea…’? Or is there something I’ve missed?

Something along the lines of ‘While being a kid, he felt like “Her intensity is different from usual”’. But I am not sure what 子供ながらに really adds to the sentiment. Surely anyone who’d seen her like that would’ve felt like ‘whoa’?

Ahaha as if he doesn’t like it though! :rofl:

I’m confused with that や too. I feel like it’s a Kansai-ben thing, although I don’t know what it would pertain to in standard dialect.

I think it’s to emphasize Misae’s intensity from Shin-chan’s point of view? She may not necessarily be that intense in that situation irl, but for Shin-chan, it was different than the usual.

@ Chapter 16 I wonder if Shin-chan gets to keep the dog though! It’s so cute…

Story 16 was a nice breather, a lot easier than most of the other stories.

Page 60

So is this Misae suspecting it is Shin’s poo? “It stinks! The smell of poop. And yet, besides humans…[there is no one here].”

That, or she may possibly be just wondering in general. Shin-chan was acting very suspiciously lol

Page 62

Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 15.22.24

The anime translates it as ‘We’ll use dad’s half of the money’, but shouldnt を come after 半分 in that case? :thinking:

Also, the resolution of this story really cracked me up. The police officer thinking Misae had abandoned Shinchan. Although, could we really blame her if she did? :joy:

1 Like

P62 Not half of dad’s money, half of his food, I’m pretty sure. :joy:

1 Like

Darn fan subs :grin:

Gotta love the policeman. “Kawaii Shiro-kun” :joy:

1 Like

I have a few more questions…

Page 61

Handwritten hiragana always trip me up… I figure the second part is ひだい (ひでぇ), so ‘becoming fat’. I imagine he’s saying that she’s got too fat for that ruined dress anyway. But I am not sure what it says before that. こxや. Also, we see the やs again, still not sure what they mean.

Page 66

In both cases there’s a っと. I am not sure if they’re related somehow but I’m not sure what よっと means, nor what っと means at the end of “I’m going to give Shiro his dog food”.

Also lol at Shin bringing home every single poop in the park.

1 Like

P61

こりゃひでえや → これはひどい

(I would think this one is “軽く言い放す.”)

P66

I think よっと is just kind of like よいしょ. I think the second one is っと.

1 Like

Hi!! I’m Shannon, new to WaniKani. I am SO HAPPY to find your クレヨンしんちゃんVolume1 book club!! I had on my own actually been reading it (painstakingly, alone, over the past 6 months) up through the end of Episode 20 (page 72) so I am VERY HAPPY to also be exactly “up to speed”. (!!) What are the ODDS?! It’s one of only two Japanese manga that I own!

I never believed in KISMET before. Ha ha!

I don’t have a question just now. I’ll have to re-read Episodes 17-18 to see. I’m all self-taught, beginning 1 year ago, so (i) large gaping holes in my grammar, (ii) will likely have more questions than concrete contributions (so apologies in advance).

I’ve explored the Google Docs …WOW. Great way to not waste your work AND keep track of new vocab! Is it essentially organized as the words come up in the story? Do you put them in with Episode 16 even if it’s already in Episode 5 (for example)? (just nosey…)

5 Likes

Heya, glad to have you! It’s great you’re exactly on track :smiley: I still need to read this week’s chapters though… :3

Don’t apologize for asking! We’re all here to learn.

Regarding the vocab sheet, yup we fill it in by order of appearance and by page. Personally, I fill it in with vocab words that I didn’t know yet and had to look up. So, if I had to look up a word in Ch16, but it actually first appeared in Ch5, I would still put it in :slight_smile: (shame on me though hahaha)

2 Likes

Yay, a new member!! :partying_face: It’s awesome to have you here. And how lucky that you happen to be all synced up with us! Don’t worry about asking more questions than you’re answering. Answering questions is very educational, because it forces you to really consider whether you understand something. So whatever you have to add to this thread, I am sure it will be useful :slight_smile:

If you want to go through the previous stories and ask questions please do go ahead. Normally book clubs will make a separate thread for each week’s reading, but this isn’t the busiest book club to begin with, so I didn’t :sweat_smile: As long as you add a page number to each question it won’t matter that the questions aren’t ‘in order’, because future readers can use the search function to find what they need :slight_smile:

As for the vocab, I second everything @paupach is saying. I generally add the vocab I had to look up, even if I’ve already looked it up 10 times before :sweat_smile:

Omg I went through と, ら and う, but it never occurred to me that could be a り :sweat_smile: Thanks for your help, as always :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Page 69

んなこと – such a thing
幼児のあんたに – by a kid like you
言われた – was said
かないわよ – help

Page 71

What is the function of に(は) exactly?

Page 73

What is up with な? I thought it was a negative imperative, but that’s the dictionary form plus な :thinking:

1 Like

I had a question about that same panel of page 69. Is it some kind of passive construct like A toddler like you will not be told!? Google said “I don’t want to tell you”.

p.68

Neighbor lady: あらおとなりお子さんいらしたっけ?

I want to say that the neighbor said this--discussion.

あら Oh! (polite お)となり next door 隣
お子さん(politeお) child
いらしたっけ I want this part to be “come to visit”, but I don’t understand. If it’s like a た-form verb, so it’s past tense (that fits), but I don’t get the け. It reminds me of いらっしゃい(is this a verb with ます?). EDIT: now I have gone and looked to add things to the Google vocab sheet. WOW!!! You guys do a GREAT vocab sheet! I see now the relation to いらっしゃい…. すごいですね!!

Shin-chan: かくし子です

I’m a hidden child. ??
Is “hidden child” a THING? For example in China when you are only permitted one (any others might be a “hidden child”?)

Also interesting to me:. Apparently the children’s game that I loved loved loved “Hide and Seek” is called かくれんぼ.

@nienque

regarding ほらすぐそれふた言めには会社が!!仕事が!!

I thought it might be a には like when you refer to physical places, like when you say “In Japan, they don’t point fingers at people…” “日本には…”. Applying the analogy to the sentence: In (what you) say… It seems like this should translate to: *Well, soon every other word is “office this…” “Work that…”. I am getting それふたことめ to pop out of Google translate as それ二言目 (literally “that second word”) which I’m guessing if I research I will be an idiom like “every other word”.

regarding the なon p.73

I think it’s a terminal male copula where the なis read like a grunt implying agreement “, eh?”

New vocabulary for me from the spreadsheet: いい加減にする something you spend too much time on that maybe you should quit (O.M.G. my husband’s attitude towards my Japanese learning L.O.L!)

2 Likes

p. 69 - not 100% sure but I figured:

かない (from かなう) - to conform to/be consistent with
わよ - emphatic sentence-ending particle

“Such a thing said is not consistent by a kid like you” or in more comprehensible English, “Saying things like that doesn’t suit a kid like you”

EDIT: Although, somehow, I feel like it should mean something along the lines of “I’m not going to tell things like that to a kid like you,” so I’m going to ask others :sweat_smile:

EDIT 2: Okay, we settled with [言う + potential form] + [たい + negative] + わよ (empathic sentence-ending particle) = 言われたくないわよ, but with a weird vowel shift (from く to か) to make it slangy, hence 言われたかないわよ。

“I can’t/don’t want to say things like that to a kid like you.”

p. 73 - I think it’s the な that serves the same function as ね

I would like to think he’s saying he’s a love child of some sort, so the neighbor girl is hiding him from the world haha. In the next panels, she tells him to keep quiet as false rumors may spread about her having a kid.

2 Likes