クレヨンしんちゃん Volume 1 Discussion 💩

Page 74
wk shinchan p74
What does the はなのて mean in the first bubble?

Page 76
wk shinchan p76
What is できかげんで here?

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be 言える though? I’m not sure that explains where われ comes from.

I think it’s はなして, so ~て(も)いい, “letting go is ok”, “you can let me go”.

1 Like

oops I meant passive form. 言う → 言われる

ah hahaha I had a brain fart there. I thought it was ノ :rofl: thanks!!

2 Likes

Page 74

Does ん add any extra meaning, or is it just meant to make the もォ sound more exasperated?

Page 76

Is できかげ a contraction…? What exactly is going on here? I think I get the general gist of it (‘If I do well on this job, there’s even a chance of a promotion’) but I’m not sure how できかげ works.

Page 77

What does ね add to パパは?

1 Like

p. 74 - I think it’s the latter; I believe it’s like a whining sound.

p. 76 - I actually had the same question :sweat_smile: I’ll try to ask around regarding this.

p. 77 - It’s a bit hard to explain in writing, but I think it’s there to “soften” the explanation on why Shin-chan should stay quiet. Sort of kiddie talk, or how you would typically talk to children about something important or when asking them to do something (think how pediatricians would talk to kids).

2 Likes

(and @paupach)

p76

I think this is 出来 (results, execution) and 加減 (extent), and I think (maybe) what he’s saying is something like “Depending on how this job turns out, there’s also a possibility of promotion.” (like you said!) With 出来 in for “how it turns out” and 加減では in for “depending on.” But I’m not 100% sure about how those words are working, so!

3 Likes

That makes sense! Thank you :smile:

2 Likes

My page numbering is off… Is the swimming episode also this week? I got snarled up in that one.

Not yet, I think. We’re still on stories 21 and 22 which were about riding in the train and the dad working at home on a Sunday

1 Like

Thank you! I definitely had the one that’s your page 76. Swimming is the immediately following episode in my book. I will persevere!

I think stories 23 and 24 are a relatively easier read and made me laugh a lot :laughing: especially when Shin-chan ブラブラ’d in his own way, and when he misunderstood Misae saying they’ll light up the fireworks when it becomes dark and asked in a dark/evil way instead :joy:

Does this クレヨンしんちゃんV.1 version seem to match yours? After “working from home” I had a blank page and now the episodes don’t seem to match?

I didn’t see “riding a bus” or “fireworks”; Instead, I had “swimming day at the kindergarten” (not the title, but what happened)

I did buy the first three manga in this series, so I can look around for the original print date of your version. It maybe if you tell me like 4 episode names in a row, I can “like it up”. I was perfectly in line for all of the beginning stories (I scanned the entire thread in order).

What I have is the ebook version and it doesn’t have the copyright page, so I’m not sure how to know that…

Stories 23-26 are about pool day at the kindergarten, fireworks, beach, and car ride, respectively. Do they match up?

1 Like

Page 81

Just checking. She’s saying ブラブラするほどでかくもないくせに, so “the extent to which you did burabura isn’t even that great”. So not only did he get naked, but he also didn’t shake much while doing it (thus not getting a sufficient warm-up)? You’d think you’d have to shake pretty hard to cause your clothes to fall off though :sweat_smile:

Page 82

Is かっ just an extra ‘sharp’ question marker? Like she’s saying it in a really pissed off way?

Page 83

Which of the bajillion しょうs is this? 象 ‘form, shape, appearance’?

1 Like

it’s a slurred (and more common?) version of しよう.
仕様がない is a bit like 仕方しかたがない, “there is no way/manner of doing”.

more...

His mother is telling that while there is light it’s also useless to do it.

明るい・とき・ やって・ も・ しょうがない・ でしょう
bright・ time・ to.do・[also]・ there.is.no.point・ isn.t.it

2 Likes

Ok, I never would’ve figured that out myself :sweat_smile: Thanks for your help and welcome to the club :slight_smile:

1 Like

P81

ブラブラするほどでかくもないくせに

ブラブラする, to swing or dangle
ほど, extent
でかくもない from でかい, not even that large
くせに, in spite

So he pulled his pants down and is waggling himself but she’s like, it’s not like it’s even big enough for you to waggle it!! lol

2 Likes

O my God :rofl:

2 Likes

Page 87
Screenshot 2020-05-18 21.07.55
I think the description translates into, “the [feeling of] sand beneath his feet is indescribable,” but why is that? Why would it be indescribable?

Screenshot 2020-05-18 21.10.38

What is the いよう in the dad’s speech bubble?
Is it the volitional of いる = “Let’s be a stranger right now” or can be interpreted something along the lines of “I don’t know this person” ?
Or is it 異様 (いよう) as in bizarre/strange = “She’s being strange right now, [even] with other people” ?

1 Like

Well it’s a good feeling, isn’t it? Having the waves bury your feet in sand? It’s the reason he lies down – he wants to feel it all over his body.

Aaaaaaand I posted a bunch of questions in the home thread that I should’ve posted here, so let me just copy paste them:

1 Like