クレヨンしんちゃん Volume 1 Discussion 💩

Thanks for clarifying! Hahaha omg they still fed dad with the karaage :laughing:

Ok so I must admit that chapter 7 has been the most challenging for me to read as of now :sweat_smile:

Page 30
Screenshot 2020-03-15 09.58.12
What does this panel mean? I roughly get it as him imagining spending time with girls, but I may be wrong

Page 31
Screenshot 2020-03-15 10.12.18
What does サク here mean? Jisho lists it as “block (pertaining to sashimi)” but I don’t understand how it relates to the situation (I assume he’s saying that he’s not a chicken, since Shin-chan threw snacks at him lol)

p30

待てよ… 酔った勢いで女子がしなだれかかってくる場合も考えて、も(う)少し広くしておくか

Wait a second待てよincluding situations場合 where girl(s)女子 come cuddling closeしなだれかかってくる with drunken酔った momentumいきおい in my thinking考えて, perhaps I’ll make (this space) a little biggerも少し広くしておく.

… Excuse all the furigana, once I got started it was weirdly fun. :smiley:

サク, in this case, is 柵 for fence.

2 Likes

Thank you!! :smiley:

1 Like

I agree with @paupach, this seems the most challenging story so far!

Page 30

So I guess the guy is what happens when women approach him with drunk enthusiasm, snuggling up to him and saying things like ‘I feel drunk’, and then he’d be like ‘oh stop, everyone’s watching!’, but I am not too sure of the rest:

What is かまわず? I thought maybe the a-stem of a verb plus ず (negation), but I can’t find a verb かまう.

And then the hypothetical babe responds with ‘make me メチャメチャ’, but what’s meant by that word in this context? Jisho has ‘disorderly, messy’.

And here I’m wondering about どうしよ. Is it どう + し (continuative) + よ? What is it conveying? Like “when such things are said, what should I do”?

Page 32

I imagine こよ is short for 来よう, so he’s saying he’s offer to buy some beer, and in the next speech bubble he’s telling the kids to come (with him to the shop? into his hanami spot?). What should I make of も やだよ? I guess the last bit means something like “What a hanami spot reservation!”

Also, this panel really cracked me up!

I’m not 100% sure (someone pls fact check me!), but these are my thoughts:

かまわず = 構う (かまう) = to mind; to care about; to be concerned about; to have a regard for​

I think the “conversation” goes like,
“Oh stop, everyone’s watching!”
(“Ah, but [hypothetical] babe may not mind/care”)

And as for the last bubble, I can’t remember how strict the forum rules are regarding explicitness, but I think there’s an underlying dirty (the adult kind) meaning there LOL

I’m not too sure on the grammar breakdown, but yes it means, “What to do?/What do I do?”

As for that last panel, I think it goes like,

“I’m going to buy beer.”
“I hope everyone comes early. I don’t want to take/fight for a hanami spot anymore.”

I think こよ is short for 行くよ instead of 来るよ, because when he goes out of the konbini, he’s surprised the kids followed him, suggesting that he didn’t expect them to come.

Then in the next line, “everyone” pertains to his work colleagues, as referenced in the first page. So I think that was supposed to be a hanami spot for their division.

も やだよ = もう、いやだよ = I don’t want to do this anymore

But honestly, I think my understanding of this is shaky so I would appreciate someone else’s inputs haha

EDIT:
Regarding that last panel, I realized that こよ may indeed be short for 来るよ and not 行く because I think he means to say, “I’ll buy beer then come back” (I confused the て-form as a connector with に行く :v:)

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your help, the story makes a lot more sense now! The implicit subject tripped me up with みんなさん, I was really confused why he was asking the kids to come along to the shop, but then acted surprised to see them when he came out :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You know, maybe こよ is short for 来よう? And then どうしよ could also be short for どうしよう?

Well, back with more questions!

Page 33

I’m getting the sense this means something like ‘I wonder whether he knows what place a bank is’, but the word order seems inverted. Or am I on the wrong track?

Misae seems to be saying ‘where did you learn such a thing?’, but what’s that referring to? Bringing a knife to a bank?

Page 34

I’ve come up with ‘he’s come to learn to watch his step’, but this doesn’t make a whole lot of sense in this context. Where did I go wrong?

Page 35

Which of the million meanings of あがる is used here? I’ve got the rest of the sentence as ‘(as for) the cash machine, at a time when it’s become busy’. As an aside, this panel cracked me the hell up! We all know that feeling…

1 Like

どうしよ is indeed short for どうしよう, but what does 来よう mean? Jisho isn’t giving me anything…

That’s how I understood it too. As for the order, I’ve read somewhere that it’s ok to mix it up in colloquial speech, as long as the particles are still attached to the words/phrases they are describing.

I think so… I think there’s an underlying meaning there that Shin-chan probably watched a bank heist on TV and that the robbers used a knife as a weapon. He remembered that, so that’s why he presented a knife to mom :sweat_smile:

I think that’s correct, except it’s pertaining to Misae. As in, she says, “I have to remember to watch my step,” to herself, because Shin-chan’s learning to negotiate.

I think it means “to go in” (#2 definition on Jisho), so it’s something like, “[This is the situation when] going in/it’s your turn at the cash machine at a busy time”

Haha ikr! I can relate at how something as simple as withdrawing from the machine can be so full of pressure :joy:

2 Likes

p34

足元を見る is a phrase that means to know and/or take advantage of another person’s weak points. (大辞林:足下を・見る
相手の弱点を見抜く。相手の弱みにつけこむ。足許に付け込む。 「品不足で-・見られる」)So she’s saying that’s he come to know how to do that with her, which is why he can get her to buy him the stuff he wants in situations like this. :smiley:

For p35, I think I read that あがる as getting stage fright, like all those people are watching her and she’s really feeling the pressure, but now that I see @paupach’s explanation, maybe that’s it! :thinking:

3 Likes

Just wanted to say I have the same reaction as Misae in this panel :joy: her clothes in stories 9 & 10 have actually been pretty trendy~

Screenshot 2020-03-23 11.31.56

2 Likes

The volitional of 来る :slight_smile:

Now that you mentioned it being a colloquialism, I found it in Jisho. It explains the reasoning behind it: “from palanquin bearers gauging how weary a traveler’s feet are, and raising the price accordingly”.

2 Likes

Page 38

I imagine the って is a replacement for と, so ときいてる → “I heard that”. Is there an implied ‘is calling you’ to go with ママは? Otherwise, if it’s supposed to be ‘I hear your mum’ it would’ve been ママをきいてる, right? Or is Shinchan the subject of きいてる…?

Page 41

Does anyone have a compelling guess as to which すむ this is?

P38 I don’t remember the context, but just from the text I’m assuming what she’s saying is, “I’m asking you where your mom is…!” (Or like, why isn’t she here with you, why are you alone here bothering me, why aren’t you listening to what I say and I’m asking where your mom is, you little jerk!)

P41 Not すむ, する! どうするんだ, contracted. Or maybe it’s どうしているんだ? Honestly, with those contractions I usually get the gist but I’m not good at expanding them to their exact longer forms…

1 Like

Shin-chan’s dad finally makes his debut! :laughing: and I feel so bad for Misae not being able to finish the movie huhu

1 Like

Hi, I’m new. How do I get a copy of this?

1 Like

Heya, welcome! If you go to the home thread there are links where you can get a copy :blush: hope you can join us!

1 Like

This week’s reading was pretty doable huh? I have just one question:

Page 43

What exactly does he mean with どこがっ?

I got the impression that Shin Chan reading only the hiragana on page 47 is supposed to lead to a pun. あな → 穴, and could してる have something to do with しっと? Or is that too far-fetched? ‘A hole from which shit is always coming’ or something?

Yeah I found the stories this time easier too.

I understood どこがっ as “Where/which part (exactly)?” which he says in a sarcastic tone since it’s quite ironic that Shin-chan says it’s a “refreshing” morning yet dad was woken up with a smelly shoe.

Oh I didn’t really think deep if there was a pun there hahah

1 Like

O my God, trying to figure out the meaning of のどチンコ by looking up its constituent parts :sweat_smile:

Page 49

What’s up with こっちのもんだ? I figured it could be the kind of もん that gives a reason, but that doesn’t work out for me either lol

I just want to say this is such a nice tactic for getting Shin-chan to open his mouth. Great parenting right there :rofl:
Screenshot 2020-04-11 09.07.36

I’m not 100% sure, but if that is 門, then Misae may mean something like, “Well, it’s only until we reach the dentist’s door.”

It = deceiving Shin-chan

… does that make sense :thinking: hahah

2 Likes