みっつ Sorry I Just cant work out how to type the small tsu

Hi Sorry for a dumb question but I am stuck in a lesson because I cant work out how to type the small tsu repeat character - no matter what I type it is wrong - it is for the Kanji Meaning “three things”

Thanks for any help

9 Likes

Just double type the first letter of the second kana :slight_smile:
Like with みっつ, you type: ‘mittsu’. Same for other examples:

やった: yatta
がんばって: ganbatte

welcome ^^

25 Likes

All possible information here:

1 Like

Hi!

In case you want to just type 「っ」not in a word or at the end of a word on a Romaji layout you can type: “x” (lowercase x) and then “tsu”.

:slight_smile:

12 Likes

Please learn Romaji / Hepburn romanization before / together with learning Hiragana.

And please learn Hiragana plus some basic Japanese sentence structure and pronunciation before tackling Kanji.

Some typing tips you’ll have a problem with later on would be DU (づ). The tip for that would be Nihon-Shiki romanization.

More than that would be about IME. xtu for っ, like if you need to type あっ.

3 Likes

In my Windows IME I can type the ‘l’ (small ‘L’) character as the first character in a sequence which allows me to type small versions of the syllables. For example, if I type “ltsu” (or “ltu”) it gives me the っ character.

4 Likes

Huh I didn’t know about that way, I accidentally found that L: lつ = っ does the same thing.

As other have mentioned the little tsu marks a little pause between syllables which is shown by a duplication of the following letter. (って → tte)
So just translate that to your spelling.
What I struggled with was ‘づ’. You have to spell it ‘du’ even though it is pronounced ‘zu’. Took quite a while for me to figure out.

3 Likes

Maybe lowercase L stands for “little”! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Lifehack :rofl:

I’ve even started reading anything with “づ” as “ず”, proceeding to spell words with "ず” and being stuck wondering why I’m not getting the kanji I want.

1 Like

Another lifehack: you don’t need to type “tsu”, save a keystroke and type “tu” directly. To get みっつ I just type “mittu”. Same with “shi” (you can get it from “si”), or “chi” (you can get it from “ti”). It’s time saving in the long run.

Ahhhhh so easy - thanks so much!
dumb newbie question! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only time I do that is when I’m on my phone, since it just means less chances to make typos.

But I can’t stand to type things out on the keyboard that wouldn’t look right in romaji to me.

1 Like

Ahhh thats a cool link thanks!

I tried to go full “zi” for “ji”, “sya” for “sha” etc, to be consistent with how the kanas actually work, but in the end it was too めんどくさい, and old habits die hard. Only the ones that decreased keystrokes stuck with me in the end, like “ti”, “si”, “tu”

pfff I thought we didn’t need romaji in this community

1 Like

It’s not a logic-based thing, since obviously once they become kana they are indistinguishable. But I still “see” the romaji version in my head and it feels wrong to see tikatetu or something in my head.

1 Like

Ahh, I’ve never been one for visualising text in English or otherwise, additionally Tofugu’s Hiragana/Katakana + WaniKani were my introduction(s) to Japanese so I was immediately hit by the massive rant against Romaji lol

I don’t have a problem with thinking in Romaji when thinking in Japanese. And I type somewhere in-between. Wapro romaji JYA (when using IME). Is it wrong to type this way? Does anyone else do it?

Still, I still have a problem with visualizing pitch accent. (I visualize simply in Hiragana.) I might need to specifically drill on this.