みっつ Sorry I Just cant work out how to type the small tsu

It’s not a rant. It’s a sound case against it’s misuse. lol
Romaji has it’s place. Use it to learn hiragana, and type. :slightly_smiling_face:

Just as an extra pointer that I didn’t see on a skim: if you’re having issues with things like 女 (おんな) coming out weird when using the default browser-based romaji input, you’ll need to type the ‘n’ THREE times. ‘nn’ will turn the first ‘n’ into ん, then the third time starts the な.

onnna. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That’s how pretty much all IMEs handle it, because not having it do that would give you wonky results with ナ行 items, or you could have an entirely unrelated key that isn’t currently use make that character so that only one stroke is needed, but then it’d be hard for newbs to guess that.

2 Likes

Yes. Also, when you get used to it, you’ll figure out when there are exceptions - sometimes you can type an ‘n’ just once and it’ll figure out that you mean ん by itself. Like with “げんき:” because you type genki and the ‘n’ is followed up by the ‘k’ so it only makes sense for the 'puter to add the ‘n’ already.

But I’m wondering: how do I type a ち with dakuten? I know it’s very uncommon, but I’m curious.

di is the simplest way. dzi might also work, but I’m not at my computer to check.

1 Like

Yes it seems you’re right, thanks :smile:

I may be a bit bitter and triggered :wink:

1vtqwe

1 Like

In case you aren’t kidding, just typing in something like “how to type little tsu” will undoubtedly get you the answer you want very quickly. Maybe even use voice recognition if you want to take a longer and less efficient route. Or copy and paste like he just did with the thread title??

1vtra0

3 Likes

With all the memelords on the internet striving to be smartasses and failing, I wouldn’t be surprised :wink:

To be fair, perhaps the OP thought the way to type っ was a question specific to WK’s interface, and not a generalized IME question.

I don’t quite follow how someone would make that differentiation, but could be, could be. Maybe deep down, Stalin starved 10 million Ukrainians to death because he was concerned about overpopulation but thought that reason seemed too uncool :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

lol what :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1vtrzx

2 Likes

1vts6t

1 Like

I’m curious–does anyone else use the kana keyboard to type? It’s what I used before I started Wanikani, so I just ended up continuing to use it (when doing reviews on a computer anyway).

I believe there are both people who use Kana layout and use Kana flick keyboard, and ignore the IME suggestion.

I still find it quite difficult to be used to the Kana Keyboard (on the mobile)! My japanese friends use it all the time. However, they told me that they use a Romaji keyboard for their Desktops. Of course, that means they use their mobiles mostly to communicate through messaging in japanese but they use their desktop computer to perform tasks other tan just chatting.