I'm sorry, but I'm out of ideas of what this could be? (Level 1 Lesson)

Hey everyone,

I’m super sorry about needing to ask this and really didn’t want my first post on the forums to be a “I can’t figure this out”

Currently going through level 1 (we’ve all got to start somewhere right?) and I’ve come across the following:

At the moment I’m struggling to understand what I’ve done wrong / how the answers are different. I’ve looked over the hiragana chart and from my (very small knowledge) understanding, the hiragana for this should be “mi + tsu” but there seems to be an additional “tsu” there. When attempting to add this myself, I’m getting an error.

I please with you, those that have ascended past the first step, help me see what I’ve done wrong.

Thanks very much for your time,
I super appreciate it.

6 Likes

The つ is small. You have to type “mittsu” (みっつ), not “mitsutsu” (みつつ)

15 Likes

You can start read FAQ as this one of the most common questions.
P.s: i was in the same position almost 1 year or so.

6 Likes

Thank you very much @Kumirei I really appreciate that.

I thought that I had noticed the first one was smaller, but thought perhaps I was just staring at it for too long.

6 Likes

Thanks @Stay_coolXD

I’ll head over there now. :sweat_smile: that’s my bad.

3 Likes

No worries🤪

It’s difficult to notice in the beginning 251446983644938240 Eventually you begin to wonder how could ever mistake them

7 Likes

Pro tip, there’s also a small や, よ, and ゆ

にや (niya) にゃ (nya)
によ (niyo) にょ (nyo)
にゆ (niyu) にゅ (nyu)

6 Likes

@Pep95 Thank you ever so much!

I’m sure that I would’ve run straight into that wall without this knowledge.

For now, :brick: avoided :laughing:

2 Likes

Btw, the small っ is actually a glottal stop, like a little pause inbetween

2 Likes

Also, another tricky one you will run into is づ when you run into the word “Handmade” 手作り(てづくり) in level 7. If you don’t mind me nipping this one in the bud beforehand…

Du = づ

7 Likes

There is also this handy IME guide, written by our great lord koichi himself

Additionally to the FAQ, there’s the unofficial FAQ

4 Likes

This one threw me off a couple times, too… I always wanted to write it as “dzu”, until I got used to it;)

3 Likes

it took me to level 6 to figure out the easy way to type the little letters
That is to double type the first letter of the second kanji

5 Likes

Either that, or if you want to put just small kana you put ‘x’ in the beginning, for example if you wanna write small よ then you write ‘xyo’ → ょ, small つ “xtu” (actually my ime handles ‘xtu’ and ‘xtsu’ as well but WK seems to only recognize ‘xtu’).
Usually you write things just phonetically (みょ “myou”, った “tta”) but sometimes you have to write just the small kana.

1 Like

I was about to type this, but then I saw you were replying and figured this was the only missing tip for this typing tutorial.

This “X before anything” trick is very useful if you’re practicing writing outside of WaniKani and want to use a borrowed word (外来語). You can make all the small characters you want in hiragana and katakana!
xあ xい xう xえ xお = ぁ ぃ ぅ ぇ ぉ

4 Likes

(And just to be confusing, 五つ, which will be coming up in level 2, is itsutsu. :stuck_out_tongue: )

6 Likes

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.