ふらいんぐうぃっち Vol. 4 🧹

Thanks so much :slight_smile:

chapter 21, p67

今やってる作業は摘花ってやつで
やつ is here used in the sense of “thing,” right?

一番育ってる中心花ってのだけ残して
I don’t get the bold part. 花’s furigana says “か” which I find weird. Or does this simply mean “the one flower [in the center]”?

chapter 21, p68

うん足元に投げでって
I don’t get the bold part.

1 Like

p67:
Yes to the first

The second is the on reading for 花 because it’s being combined with 中心. I think it’s a technical term…according to this site:

りんごの花は、芽から5~6つが放射状にまとまって咲き、最初に咲く中心部の花を『中心花』、少し遅れて咲く周りの花を『側花』といいます。

Basically I think he’s saying “only leave the most developed one, which is known the 中心花”.

p68:
I think this is 足元に投げてって(こと/訳) . It could also be もいい but those too feel more right to me…does that make things more clear?

2 Likes

Yes, it does. Thanks.

chapter 22, page 99

あの子はねー美人だし実力もあるんだけどいまいちツイてないんだよね

fan translation: “…but she’s not so lucky.” At first I thought it was “…but the other one [Makoto] isn’t so lucky.” :joy:

1 Like

Chapter 23: 春の日に兎を釣るように

2020-06-12T15:00:00Z

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later (or soon)
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

4 Likes

So many pages without words!

Page 14: プラプラ

This one wasn’t in my dictionary, so I had to look it up online after reading.

According to this page:

My attempt and making sense of it:

「ふらふら」 means to sway unstably.
「ぶらぶら」 means to sway in a certain direction.
「ぷらぷら」 is close in meaning to 「ぶらぶら」, but is lighter (less heavy).

I’m not certain if that helps me any on understanding what Inukai is saying. The gist I get is that Inukai is saying that she’s just kind of aimlessly driving about, but that seems counter to her very next sentence saying she’s going to the beach (unless that’s just one stop for the night).

She also loses me with the 「…だけなん だけどね」. Any help on the nuance of this part would be nice, or is she just kind of speaking プラプラ as well?

4 Likes

I looked this up recently because it appeared on page 90, meaning “dangle dangle” in that case, in reference to the tassels on her cloak.

Other meanings are “limp” and “floppy” - Search @ The JADED Network

When it comes to nuance, I’m probably the last person on the list you’d ask for help, so I hope someone else will help out for the last bit.

2 Likes

Thanks for the screenshot! I normally don’t pay much attention to sound effects (besides reading them occasionally). Maybe I should pay them more attention, since onomatopoeia is such a big thing in Japanese.

2 Likes

I just caught up… it sounds like she was wandering aimlessly, but… now she’s going to the sea. だけなん だけど got some google hits that were beyond my comprehension, but I got the feeling it was some kind of set expression surmounting to “but”.

2 Likes

Oh, that makes a lot of sense. I’ll have to go over the panels later with this in mind and see how much better it reads for me.

1 Like

I think you cut it a bit in the wrong way; I think it should be nothing more than

だけ - only
なんだ - なのだ, explanatory tone
けど - but (used at sentence end to add vagueness)
ね - sentence end that asserts reassurance

So it’s just a phrase to make things more vague and indirect.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, did not mean to reply to you @davids68 :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

I think I cut it where the author put a line break, so I’ve now determined the author is trying to sabotage Japanese language learners.

5 Likes

I suspected that all along since the father opened his mouth for the first time :joy_cat:

5 Likes

I think it’s saying ぶらぶら/ぷらぷら is a “pendulum/swing-like motion”, where the thing goes back and forth regularly, whereas ふらふら is when the thing is swinging unpredictably (like a tightrope walker loosing their balance).

An interest point on mimetic words is that usually, voicing the vowel intensifies the action (potentially indicating it’s too much). So ぷらぷら is a gentle swinging, and ぶらぶら is stronger swinging, possibly to the point of being unpleasant. It’s quite fun looking for the difference in nuance this gives (そっと vs ぞっと is a good one).

3 Likes

Fun fact, the title of the 23rd chapter, 春の日に兎を釣るように, according to a fan translation, is an idiom. It means waiting for something even though it might not appear. Edit: I found this in the way of confirmation.

5 Likes

I found the long version of the proverb in ch23, p115: 世間は広いようで狭い
I don’t remember ever seeing this ようで construction before. How does it work?

2 Likes

Considering that smartphone video someone recently shared online showing a rabbit emerge from the ocean, and go running across the beach, I think 兎を釣る sounds like something more likely to appear in 2020.

Edit:

I would expect that we have the sentence 「世間は広いようだ」, then だ becomes the で form to attach 狭い to it.

Edit 2: From 【N2文法】~ようで/ようでいて | 毎日のんびり日本語教師, ようで is used when saying something is different from what it seems like. Something seems like one thing, but it’s actually something else.

2 Likes

Oohh, I think I get it. Didn’t know だ could do that. It’s like the −て from with verbs, right?

2 Likes

As I understand it, yes. (But if someone with more knowledge than me says otherwise, I’ll defer to their experience.)

So here you’d have “the world is seemingly vast”, with だ as で to join it to “small”. “The world is seemingly vast, but it’s (actually) small.”

3 Likes