ふらいんぐうぃっち Vol. 4 🧹

Volume 4 Discussion Thread

Start Date: 16th May
Previous: Volume 3
Following: Volume 5

Flying Witch 4

ふらいんぐうぃっち Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Reading Schedule

Start Date   Chapter                                                      Page Numbers   Page Count
May 16th 19 - 魔女のローブは十人十色 3 - 26 24
May 23rd 20 - 魔女の爪はアーモンド 29 - 52 24
May 30th 21 - 魔女蜂合わず 55 - 78 24
June 6th 22 - 煙草とオイルとコーヒーの香り 81 - 104 24
June 13th 23 - 春の日に兎を釣るように 106 - 130 25
June 20th 24 - 兎の逆立ち 133 - 156 24

Participants

There will be participation polls throughout this discussion thread as we reach each chapter :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Chapter 19: 魔女のローブは十人十色

2020-05-15T15:00:00Z

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I’m dropping out

0 voters

3 Likes

No idea if I did that right sorry, I’ve never posted a poll before :sweat_smile:

Happy to be reading this volume!

5 Likes

Looks good to me and works :+1:

EDIT: Quick remark for @skymaiden: I’ve edited the link you inserted into the weeks table. Please have a look at the format and use it for the next links; it makes them robust against topic renamings (otherwise they stop working). Thx!

2 Likes

Oh thank you! Noted for next time :slight_smile:

(I naively thought the links would have automatic redirection to keep working based on the ID)

2 Likes

Unfortunately Discourse is not that intelligent :woman_shrugging:

(Plus, now you can look at the table without your eyes rolling around in your head from all the escaped Japanese characters :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

I like the time stamp!

Have fun reading this volume, guys :blush: looks like we’ve gained a number of new readers.

5 Likes

Glad to be joining you :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Today I learned that 鶴の恩返し is a Japanese fairytale :smile: Seems like there might be a few different versions of the story running around, but this one seems to line up pretty well with the one they’re referencing on pg 21-22.

(Here’s an English version if you’re not in the mood for Japanese listening practice at the moment xD)

9 Likes

Really happy that we got a lot of scenes with Chito-san in this chapter =^.^=

ニャー

7 Likes

Thanks for the link to the video. I didn’t understand anything about 千夏ちゃん answer on page 22 until I watched it.

2 Likes

I really hope Makoto makes Chito-san a ローブ out of the fabric he chose. :smiley:

The Crane thing was really confusing for me, too. I thought I just didn’t understand the language instead of missing a reference.

3 Likes

I was hoping for a robe too :joy_cat: But judging from the last page it is a nice cushion instead!

8 Likes

I feel an unjustified sense of pride for having learned this story in Japanese class back in high school =D

Soon after, I was at a grocery store that focused on Japanese food items, which had a book store where I picked up this:

(This version of the story replaces the old couple with a young man.)

At the time, I liked that it was mostly hiragana, but I didn’t know most of the words, and Japanese class in high school didn’t really cover grammar in any substantial way.

Maybe I should try reading it now and see how far I get before I run into words I don’t know or can’t figure out without kanji. (Edit: First sentence in, and I already need to look up two words. Scratch that, one word. The other word turned out to be a name.)

6 Likes

Cute chapter! I loved the ending. Poor Kei! :joy:
I love fabric stores, wish I could sew as well as Makoto! I only make small things like placemats, not clothing. I would love glow in the dark cat fabric. It reminds me of the fabric I used to sew a book cover for my daughter.

8 Likes

Hehe yes, Kei got quite the shock :joy_cat:

3 Likes

I only had time to read the chapter today, but it’s cute!

Now that I’m going back through it again now to add a few words to the vocab sheet (hopefully I didn’t add any mistakes), I have a couple of questions:

Page 7

車で乗っけてこうか?
I understand this as something like “should I give you a ride?”, but what exactly is the こうか? Is it 効果 or maybe 請う + か?

Pages 9-11

I thought there was something about not being too conspicuous in the earlier volumes – but it seems that she’s gradually just started flying around and parking the broom wherever, without any problem of people seeing her doing witchy things. Am I just remembering wrong?

@windupbird oh I didn’t even realise it was a reference to a folktale, I thought it was just some kind of expression – thank you!

@2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz me too, and I love the way he she talks with まこと! (Actually is Chito a he or a she?)

@Kappa420 I loved that Chito even chose any :grin: But he she does look very happy with his her cushion

@Kyasurin I loved the the fabric shop scenes in this chapter!
Your cat fabric looks :sparkles:

4 Likes

Page 7: I completely missed the け and just read it as 乗ってこうか = 乗って行こうか. Pretty sure it means the same though.

4 Likes

According to Jisho, it’s a female name.

2 Likes

:woman_facepalming: I didn’t even think to look up a name in the dictionary! (Old habit, names weren’t in any dictionary I ever had)

Thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes