Wanikani Synonym Chart?

Is there a wanikani synonym chart anywhere?

I feel as though more and more I an seeing a lot of similar words that I’m sure have subtle differences in meaning. Like I don’t know how often, or for how many kanji I write recent, soon, and neighborhood. I feel like I’m starting to lose track, asking myself is this another use of ‘recent’ cause 最近 must definitely be ‘nearest’. Bah! Wrong! Foiled again! Back to Apprentice 1 for you!

I need to study a chart of these synonyms along with sentence usages in order solidify in my head what’s what.

Completely unrelated, I feel like my core is hollowing out.

Items don’t like to stay Masters very long. They either move to Enlightened or drop back to Apprentice and have to petition for Guru again. I think my Enlightened to Burned percentage is much better than my Master to Enlightened percentage. Which I’m telling myself just means that WK’s SRS intervals are not optimized to my brain and a good portion of the items just need more soak time, but once they get to Enlightened a lot of them stay there. That’s at least what I use to prevent myself from falling into severe depression when I mix にん for じん for the 52 millionth time. I swear 5 years from now I’ll be at level 60 and I’ll have 42 apprentice items 0 Guru, 0 Master, 0 Enlightened, and every last one of those Apprentice items will have a 人 suffix.

9 Likes

I think I failed that today myself… some leeches refuse to die, right @ekg?

If you don’t know what a leech is, it’s an item that you (and probably everyone except for Koichi) keeps mixing up (and is probably on your Critical Condition list) and is definitely in @prouleau’s Item Inspector.

Feel free to hiss at me if I tagged you

1 Like

Not exactly what you asked for, but maybe this thread can help a bit?

6 Likes

The confusion guesser is the closest thing to that I can think of off the top of my head, although it’s not exactly a synonym chart. Basically, whenever you get an answer wrong it will suggest things that you may be confusing the item with. That script combined with the leech trainer script has really helped me decrease my number of leeches.

I also had a period where my number of master items was really low (after getting behind on reviews), but that seems to have gotten fixed. Probably mainly because I started doing reviews more regularly, but I’m sure adding these scripts has helped me somewhat as well.
2020-09-15 (2)

But that wouldn’t be a very nice thing to do, would it?..even though cats like me can be fickle sometimes! ^>^ :cat2:

Still, you’re right that I do know my leeches well. You could say we’ve dropped the honorifics and we’re even on first name basis by now! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I know how you feel! Although It doesn’t get any easier the further you get on in Wanikani. For instance I just now finished a lesson which taught me the word “推薦:Recommendation”, but I was sure I had seen recommendation used elsewhere. So I type “Recommendation” into Wanikani and was greeted with three more words with the same “meaning”…

薦め:Recommendation
推薦:Recommendation
勧告:Recommendation
推奨:Recommendation

Sigh… over time I have worked out some good methods to find more concise definitions and uses, but it sure gets exhausting devoting all this time trying to find this information… Probably my biggest pet peeve with WaniKani.

2 Likes

OMG, I just discovered that little search tool is actually useful! That tip alone was worth the entire thread. Thank you! Sometimes I’m a tad late to the party…

2 Likes

I don’t have a synonym list but there is a way you can get it.

You may use the export to csv function of Item Inspector to export the vocabulary items and their meanings. Load this information into a spreadsheet software. Sort the spreadsheet by readings to have items with the same readings in consecutive rows. Then use the conditional formatting to highlight duplicate meanings. This will give you the synonym list you want.

The settings you need:

For the filters, to select the vocabulary items:

setting

For export, to get the right data exported:

setting1

1 Like

Glad that helped, also you mentioned confusing the words for “Neighborhood”, I also had trouble with those awhile back…

付近:Neighborhood [lvl 9]
近所:Neighborhood [lvl 10]
近隣:Neighborhood [lvl 40]

Here is my understanding of these words…

付近:Vicinity (The area near or surrounding a particular person/place)

Possessing the kanji [付:Attach] + [近:Near]
My Japanese dictionary defines this word as,
そのあたり。“Near that place; Thereabouts”

This can can also be seen with google illustrations…

近所:Neighborhood (The area near to one's home)

Possessing the kanji [近:Near] + [所:Place]
Japanese dictionary definition,
自分の家の近く。近いところ。“Near one’s house. Near place.”

Google illustrations…

近隣:Neighboring (Situated next to or very near something else)

Possessing the kanji [近:Near] + [隣:Neighboring]
Japanese dictionary definition,
自分が住んでいる近所。隣近所。“Near where one is living. Neighboring.”

Google illustrations…

It always stands to mention that this should be taken with a grain of salt, as I am just as much a learner as the next person. But if the information is helpful then I am happy. ヽ(^o^)丿

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.