WaniKani Kanji Quiz Game Show?

Leebo and I have been talking, and we think it would be fun to do a little kanji quiz game show with some members of the wanikani community. We would be together on discord while we are presented various words/yojijukugo that we need to read to get points.

Leebo and I were considering facing head to head, but are interested in hearing if any of you guys would like to participate as well. If so, it would just be like a fun little quiz show, and we would be competing for nothing more than bragging rights.

We are still discussing the details, but for the time being we were curious if anyone else would be interested in participating. Any comments, thoughts, or suggestions are welcome.

@Naphthalene @SyncroPC @rodan @Belthazar

18 Likes

This sounds super fun, but I feel like I would want to work on my abilities more before I participated in something like this, since if it targets you too I imagine it will be a lot of 四字熟語 (which I basically know none of) and non-WK kanji, which I know only maybe 100 or 200 of.

2 Likes

And here I was imagining a battle taking place through Kahoot.

5 Likes

I fell like I don’t have the right to be in this thread because I’m not level 60 while everybody else is.

Yeah, sure. Sounds great!

6 Likes

I have a feeling this will simply wind up highlighting that I actually know less than I thought I did. :stuck_out_tongue:

Leebo’s only level 3. :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

And honestly I suspect he is actually more like a level 2. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

So for those interested, me and Leebo have been thinking, and we figured that its probably best if we don’t have it be a race, and rather just award points based off of if you get the right answer within the allotted time. That way, you don’t have to worry about being the fastest, just accurate.

Also, we took a 2kyuu kanken level quiz and thought the level was very doable and would be good for a quiz show. The 2kyuu only uses joyo kanji, so if you have gotten level 60, you should know nearly all the kanji that would appear.

10 Likes

Hmm, I may try participating then.

2 Likes

This is what we do while we play Rocket League.

3 Likes

I appreciate the vote of confidence implied by the tag, but I would maybe be punching above my weight (or rather years-spent-reading) class!
I’m intrigued, but inherent shyness + a timezone and sleep schedule that’s especially out of sync with Japan might preclude me from participating depending on what the details end up being.

1 Like

I think I’d be interested in joining, although my skills may not be up to par, but it sounds like a fun challenge.

4 Likes

Awesome! If we get a handful of people, I was going to just be the host rather than a contestant and prepare the quiz myself. If thats the case, I was thinking more of a jeopardy style where there are different categories and easier/harder questions for each category. That way, for at least some of the questions everyone has a shot. iirc jneapan you passed n1 right, so I imagine your skills will be fine lol.

4 Likes

Same. Or I’d like to be at least a spectator.

3 Likes

I hope so, it’d be pretty embarrassing otherwise :sweat_smile:. I have a lot of holes and blind spots in my knowledge of Japanese, and 四字熟語 are definitely one of them. My knowledge of kanji isn’t very deep either so there’s a lot of kanji where I don’t know the kunyomi, stuff like that. But a quiz sounds like a fun way to find out what my weaknesses are.

3 Likes

I thought that some people might want to watch since we might have some well known people competing, but I havent quite thought the whole spectator thing through. Honestly it was just a lot of fun doing the kanken quizzes with leebo, so the original vision was just for the contestants to have a fun time mainly. Not much of a SHOW, lol, but if enough people wanna watch it for whatever reason we can figure something out.

2 Likes

I’m sure there should be people interested in watching just for the Kanji knowledge, regardless of the “well known competitors” hahaha

4 Likes

Perhaps! If there is, maybe we can figure something from a spectator perspective. Also if I end up making the quiz myself, I will probably not stick strictly to joyo, but in a way that makes it easier if anything. Id probably avoid using one of the rare joyo kanji and might have a word or something with like 嘘 in it, for example. Not joyo, but Im sure everyone competing would know it.

4 Likes

I studied a bunch of 四字熟語 back during the Durtle Heaven puzzle, so if one of those comes up, I might know what’s going on. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It depends on how it’s organized. I do not want to have people hear my voice nor see my face :sweat_smile:
Other than that, it does sound fun!

3 Likes

I can’t imagine any need to see anyones face, but I did envision us being in a call together. You don’t have to verbally talk though if you don’t want to since I would be getting your answer a different way

2 Likes