Stump Leebo! Ask questions here! (リーボーさん、絶対見ないで!)

This is the place to discuss Leebo’s idea of creating a hard kanji quiz.

https://community.wanikani.com/t/stump-leebo-a-video-project-submit-your-kanji-challenges/35974?u=saida

Since it needs to be hard for Leebo, try to find words not mentioned in any of the threads he frequents!

Ground rules:
1: For reading challenges VOCAB should not be on WK
2: Amendment: for writing challenges kanji/vocab may come from WK
3: No obscure buddhist scripture
4: Add a context sentence (preferably found in the wild, like a novel or Wikipedia)

We will be making a quiz available to everyone at some point, is the idea, so everybody use the appropriate spoiler blurs and such.

There will be only 1 sentence/word added per user, but of course any submissions can also be saved for an eventual second edition.

Deadline set by Leebo:
4/13 1:00PM Japan
4/13 4:00AM UTC
4/13 0:00AM EDT

This means we will have to have finished the quiz before then. I can find some time to curate the sentences this coming week and look into quizmaster.

Loving all of the contributions so far!

13 Likes

Maybe link through to the original, so people can read the rules and the format there? As well as the overall idea, since the thread might sink out of sight. ^^

1 Like

Oh yeah a link back, I’ll add that

1 Like

Ah! One of the 国語 teachers at my school gave me a kanji book when she noticed me studying - it’s chock full of stuff that isn’t covered on WK, but all still meant for modern usage. I’ve got a project for tomorrow :face_with_monocle:

6 Likes

Ok, let’s give it a shot, from the light novel I’m currently reading.

彼女も 獰猛 にほほえんで、その場に立ちどまって振り向いた。

Reading

どうもう

Meaning

ferocious, fierce, truculent, savage

Hope this format works. ¯\(ツ)

5 Likes

Is the formatting okay like this?

彼女と喧嘩をしたので、蟠りを早く解きたい。

彼女と喧嘩をしたので、わだかまりを早く解きたい。

Edit: switched kanji and reading since it‘s a fairly difficult one.

1 Like

I think so! Great to do it backwards too! Guess the kanji from the reading!

@jneapan I’d say pick one of the two, since if we put one in the quiz, there wouldn’t be a point in adding the second. ^^

I’m considering:

ちがいほうけん」は、外交上の慣例として、派遣国の認証があり、接受国による信任状の受理(接受)があった場合において、派遣された外交官に対して相互に認められる特権として確立されてきた。

Kanji answer

治外法権

Translation:

extraterritoriality

Decided to go with a 四字熟語, since Leebo likes those. It tends not to come up very much in conversation.

Is the sentence enough of a hint, I wonder? :thinking: Otherwise I was also contemplating just grabbing the first sentence of the wiki, where it gives the definition of the word, and then he just has to know the kanji.

3 Likes

It should be, since the kana is also a big hint.

1 Like

I edited my post, how’s it now?

2 Likes

Looks good to me!

1 Like

餅をつきたい

Kanji

搗く

Nice turn of phrase!

(You forgot to add which kanji is the answer)

1 Like

Here’s one I really liked when I came across it a couple months ago while reading. Do you know its reading?

敵は怒のように押し寄せてきた

Hint (if you need it): 怒濤 can also be written as 怒涛 which has the same reading!

Answer

とう

怒濤 is read as どとう

3 Likes

敵が石を投擲している場所を見つけますので、あとは、神様のお力で、一つずつ潰していただければ・・・

Answer

投擲 = とうてき

2 Likes

Wow, I only got 2 right so far (獰猛 and 放擲)…

Anyway, how about my fav’ word (might be easy, since I’m throwing it around all the time)
魑魅魍魎 とは、山の怪物や川の怪物

Summary

ちみもうりょう

I have other fun ones, but maybe later.

5 Likes

That one showed up three times already in 新世界より at this point :joy:

I’ve also never seen it anywhere else, not counting your mentions, of course.

1 Like

Okay, the book was a little too easy (I think it’s a kanken prep book), so I’m taking a bit of a gamble in a different direction. I’m hoping that he will either not be up-to-scratch on his fruit kanji, or an alternate kana-ization will throw him off.

レイシは中国の代表的なムクロジ科の果物です。

Hint

Also known as ライチ

Answer
  1. 茘枝

Still too easy?

1 Like

By the way, I learned 放擲 from sword art online. You should read that one next. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Does it have lots of beautiful exquisite kanji? I wasn’t sure about reading it, but if so I might reconsider…

1 Like