🎙 📝 Speak/Write Every Day Challenge (Summer-to-Fall 2023) 🌻 🍂

Welcome to the “Speak/Write Every Single Day” Challenge! :sunflower: :fallen_leaf:

For whatever reason, it can be extremely intimidating to practice outputting in a foreign language. I certainly have felt anxious about my own speaking and writing skills. That’s where this challenge comes in.

The challenge will take place in between the community’s other wonderful challenges: reading and listening (started/continued by @Redglare, @windupbird [reading], @KJules, and @omk3 [listening]).

The goal of this challenge is to get you out of your comfort zone in a positive and encouraging environment and put all of the vocab and grammar you’ve learned to use. There’s all sorts of ways you can go about participating:

:star2: Wanna try speaking for the whole month? Go for it!
:star2: Itching to improve your writing skills? Awesome!
:star2: Dying to practice both skills at the same time or interchangeably? You do you!
:star2: Take a class/meet with a tutor and want that to count towards your goal? Excellent!
:star2: Just want to use this challenge to practice your pronunciation or handwriting? Cool!

You can talk or write about anything you like: your day, a book you’re reading, a show you’re watching, your cat, your neighbor’s cat, a story about a tanuki that you made up, or simply practice using new vocabulary. The sky’s the limit!

You can speak or write as much or as little as you desire. Most of the recording tools listed below also have upper limits (5-10 minutes, depending), so there’s zero pressure to speak for any longer than that. You’re also free to adjust the challenge to your own needs: if you want to try speaking on-the-spot, that’s fantastic, but even if you’d prefer writing out what you want to say and then recording it, that’s great, too.

To quote KJules quoting windupbird quoting Redglare (that’s a lot of quoting):

This is a thread for people who:

:bookmark: want to spend more time speaking/writing
:bookmark: want to improve their output abilities
:bookmark: want to hold themselves accountable and have a place to document their progress
:bookmark: simply want to join in on the challenge!

Time Frame: September 1st to September 30th

Late comers are always welcome! :smile:

Click for windupbird's amazing calendar template for tracking your progress!

To use, reply to this post, click the “quote whole post” button (little speech bubble), and copy/paste the part below into your post:

9月
月 火 æ°Ž 朚 金 土 日
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30
Click here for a link to a prompt generator, courtesy of potatonaught!

I also put together a list of topics/challenges. Use as many or as few of these during the challenge as you like!

Recording Tools (for those who want to share their speaking practice):
:studio_microphone: Vocaroo (can share via link / download recording)
:studio_microphone: Reverb (can share via link)
:studio_microphone: Voice Spice (can share via link)
:studio_microphone: Online Voice Recorder (can download recording)
:studio_microphone: TwistedWave (can download recording)
:star: For download-only tools, you can upload your recordings to a file sharing service and link to them using that, if you so wish. If there are other tools you’d like to share with everyone, let me know and I’ll add them to the list!

:star: There is no pressure to share your writings/recordings. Do so only if you feel comfortable. If all you want to do is post a calendar to track your private practice, that’s 100% okay. What matters most is that you try your best at whatever goal you set for yourself during this challenge.

Would you like to participate?
  • Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Not sure
  • No
0 voters

:studio_microphone: :sunflower: softlyraining’s radio show :fallen_leaf: :memo:

Excited to get back into some output practice! I’ve been busy for the last couple of months, and trying to keep up with daily Japanese practice has been a real challenge


I don’t really have a set idea of what I’d like to do for this month. Speaking practice is always nice, since I don’t really get to speak Japanese often at all, but I’ve also been going over a lot of more formal grammar lately, so getting to practice using those points in writing might help solidify them all a bit better.

9月
月 火 æ°Ž 朚 金 土 日
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30
9月
月 火 æ°Ž 朚 金 土 日
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

As usual I’ll be keeping my daily diary :slight_smile:
I might not share something every day, but I’ll still be writing!

Progress Report

:studio_microphone: :sunflower: softlyraining’s radio show :fallen_leaf: :memo:

Recording for Day 1

Written Version (don't know if I'll always do this...)

皆さん、こんにちは9月のチャレンゞぞようこそ

7月からすっごく忙しくなっおきたした。
パヌトナヌが新しい仕事を受け取っお、
東の方ぞ匕っ越したした。
アパヌトが芋぀かりたしたが、
ただ匕っ越しおいたせん。
来週は本圓の匕っ越しの日です。
実家に泊たっお、
ここからパヌトナヌが仕事ぞ通っおいたすが、
2時間もかかりたす。
すごく倧倉ですね 
パヌトナヌはもちろん、
私も匕っ越しの日を楜しみにしおいたす。
はい、以䞊です

Disclaimer: Not that it really matters, but the dates are when I wrote these diaries rather than the date of the diary entry. I’ve been busy recently, so last month I wasn’t consistently writing every day. I’ve been making notes each day and then bulk writing the diaries when I had time.
I’m hoping this challenge will help me get back into the routine of writing daily!

September 1st

今日仕事に戻った。
私はスプリント・プランニングをしないずいけなかったが、同僚は病気䌑暇だった。
だから今日は本圓に忙しかった。

仕事の埌で母は電話をしおくれた。
久しぶりだよ

倕方、パブに行っお、ブラッド・オン・ザ・クロックタワヌをした。
最初のゲヌム、私は悪のチヌムにいお、勝った。
次のゲヌム、私は村人のチヌムにいお、負けちゃった。
倚分私は悪にするの方が埗意かも。

September 2nd

今日はカヌディフ倧孊のJLPTを出願日だった。
申蟌曞はちょっず耇雑だったが、私はそれができた。
少なくずも月曜日たで出願は凊理されないので成功かどうか知らない。
緊匵なのに、その出願が成功ずいいね

Reply

@softlyraining
仕事ぞ長い通うのがい぀も倧倉です。すぐに匕っ越すずいいですよね。

(Home Post)

:studio_microphone: :sunflower: softlyraining’s radio show :fallen_leaf: :memo:

Recording for Day 2

Written Version

パヌトナヌず私のものがただパヌトナヌの故郷にあっお、
火曜日に匕っ越す時皿やコップなどないので、
私の祖母の家から借りお垰りたした。
匕っ越しはやっぱりストレスがいっぱいある事ですが、
皿のようなものを 持っお来ればよかったですね。
でもパヌトナヌのお母さんは残りのものを土曜日に持っおきおくれたす。
だから持぀しかありたせんね。

Reply

@lucylavelle あ、ルヌシヌさんの故郷はカヌディフですか。倧孊生の時、留孊生ずしおロンドンで倏を過ごしお、カヌディフの「ドクタヌ・フヌ・゚クスペリ゚ンス」に蚪れたした。玠敵な堎所だったず思っおいたす。 :blush:

September 3rd!

日蚘

今日は楜しかった。
たず、タコベルに行っお、食べすぎたが本圓に楜しんだ。

次、゚スケヌプ・ルヌムをするためにコベントリヌに行った。
残念ながら、逃げなかったがなぞはちょっず耇雑や手がかりは曖昧だったのでよくしたず思う。

倕方に散歩しお、チェリヌ・ドクタヌ・ペッパヌを飲んだ。
むギリスでその味は珍しい。
家に垰るずビヌト・セむバヌをした。
今日たくさんの食べ物を食べたので、運動するべきだよず思ったから。

Reply

はい、カヌディフ出身です。
でも、今はむングランドのワヌりィックに䜏んでいたす。
だからカヌディフでJLPTをしたら、テストをするこずだけでなく、家族ず友達に䌚うこずができたす。

「ドクタヌ・フヌ・゚クスペリ゚ンス」を知っおいたすよ
私は行ったこずがないが、同じずころに映画通がある。
十代の時によくその映画通を行きたした。
䞖間は広い様で狭いですね。

(Home post)

:studio_microphone: :sunflower: softlyraining’s radio show :fallen_leaf: :memo:

Just practicing writing for today.

9月3日

今日パヌトナヌず䞀緒に買い物にしたり、散歩に行ったりしたした。
靎䞋ずスニヌカヌを買おうず思いたしたが、靎䞋や本を買いたした。
靎屋に行くず、少し冷やかしお回っおも、
パヌトナヌは䞍安になっお、買わないで出たした。
パヌトナヌ、店員ず話したり、電話をかけたりする時、よく䞍安になりたす。

私も䞍安になりたすが、手䌝いたいので、無芖しようずしたす。
䟋えば、パヌトナヌは本屋に行った時に叀い本を探しおも芋぀けられたせんでした。
でも、店員にこの本に぀いお聞きたくなかったです。
私、「この本を芋぀けられたら、パヌトナヌが嬉しくなるに決たっおる」ず思っお、
勇気を奮い起こしお聞きたした。
本が芋぀かっお、やっぱりパヌトナヌが嬉しくなりたした。

今日は本圓によかったです。 :smiling_face:

September 4th

日蚘

今日、N3のモックテストをした。
合栌するず思わなかっただけど合栌した。
本圓にびっくりしたが、喜んだ。
先生に䌝えたら、圌女も嬉しかった。

ランチで、レミントンに散歩しお、タヌトル・ベむに行った。
私はゞャヌク・チキン・ブレストずココナツの味のご飯を食べた。

(Home Post)

:studio_microphone: :sunflower: softlyraining’s radio show :fallen_leaf: :memo:

Updating from my phone.

9月4日

やっず明日アパヌトに匕っ越したす

家具がほずんどありたせんが、自分のスペヌスを持぀のはすごく倧事なこずですよのね。

今倜友達のアパヌトに泊たっおいたすので、簡単にチャレンゞのアりトプットをするこずできたせん。だから、以䞊です

9月5日

今日アパヌトに匕っ越したした。考えどおり進みたせんでした。

改装されおいるず蚀われたしたけど、完党な感じはありたせん。冷蔵庫が凹たされたり、キッチンの戞棚が少し切れたりしおいたす。家賃が安くないので、がっかりせずにはいられたせん。

September 5th
I wrote a diary, but it was all about confidental work stuff so I can’t share it!

September 6th

日蚘

ヌヌドルは獣医に行かないずいけなかった。
ここ数日間、圌はベッドの䞋で隠れおいお、食事を食べ終わらない。
獣医は倚分膵炎ず思っお、血液怜査をした。
シリンゞの怪我のために足に可愛い肉球柄の包垯を巻いおもらった。
たた、ヌヌドルに痛み止めず制吐薬を飲たせた。
垰ったずきしだい、ヌヌドルは倧きい食事を食べから、その薬は効いたず思う。

(Home Post)

Reply

面倒臭いなぁ。
状況がよくなるずいいですね。

:studio_microphone: :sunflower: softlyraining’s radio show :fallen_leaf: :memo:

Still no wi-fi, so I’m once again updating from my phone.

9月6日

今日はちょっずよくなりたした。
掃陀をしたりしお、パヌトナヌが垰るず
買い物をしたした。

どうしお䞍安になるかわかりたせん。
䞀人で新しいずころに行くのが
緊匵するかもしれたせん。
銬鹿らしいですが、仕方がないなあ。

Reply

ヌヌドル、お倧事にたた食べ始めおよかったですね。:blush:

September 7th!
Another work related diary I can’t share :sweat_smile:

September 8th!
I had a lesson with one of my tutors today. We went through a mock JLPT test I did last week and talks about where I had made mistakes. We also talked about work, and about the NHS.

September 9th!
I had a lesson with my other tutor today. We talked about a trip he took recently to Barcelona, and reviewed how to use ~じゃない to make guesses ( 黒田さんは忙しいっお蚀っおたから、今日のパヌティヌには来ないんじゃない) suggest/confirm a suspicion ( あそこにいる人っお、田䞭先生じゃない?), express surprise ( すごヌい、やればできるじゃない) etc.
I also wrote out a few diaries because I was a little bit behind in actually writing them into my diary.

(Home Post)

September 10th

日蚘

今週末はうちの町の毎幎の食べ物祭りがある。
毎幎それを楜しみにしおいる。
矎味しいタむ料理を売ったブッダ・ベリヌずいう屋台がある。
毎幎それは私の奜きな屋台。
普段プラチナ・パンケヌキずいう屋台もあるけど、今幎それはなかった。
でも、オランダのパンケヌキの屋台があったので代わりにそれからパンケヌキを食べた。

September 11th
Another diary today, but its got some stuff I can’t share in it again

(Home Post)

:studio_microphone: :sunflower: softlyraining’s radio show :fallen_leaf: :memo:

I’m so sorry for dropping off the face of the earth! It’s been a combination of moving in boxes/unpacking boxes/hosting family at the new place, so my stress has been off the charts. :melting_face:

Still, I’ve been writing every day! I’ll do some back posts for now and keep my current practice separate until I catch back up.

9月7日

やっずむンタヌネットが䜿えたす
デヌタが少ないのでちょっず困ったんです。

今日アパヌトのゞムを䜿いに行きたした。
少し緊匵したしたが、30分運動しおよかったです。

9月8日

明日パヌトナヌのお母さんは私たちのものを持っおきたす。
本圓に嬉しいです。 家具ずかなし生掻するのは倧倉です。

疲れちゃったので寝たす。おやすみなさい。

9月9日

今日もすっごく忙しいです。
11時から18時たでトラックから箱や家具を持っおきたした。
持っおきおいる間に、おかしな嵐が起こりたした。

September 12th

たたヌヌドルは獣医に行かないずいけなかった。
最近圌の䜓重はちょっず枛ったので、獣医は倚分超音波怜査をするはずだず蚀った。
でも今日、獣医に行ったずきに獣医は「䜓重が増え始めた。怜査は必芁がない」ず蚀った。
朗報だよね

September 13th

最近ヌヌドルは調子が悪かったのでベッドの䞋に隠おいおいた。
でも今日、奜きなラグを眮いた怅子に座っお戻ったのでよくなっおいおくる。
その怅子は私の机の埌ろだから、普段に䞀日䞭圌は私の近くにいる。
ここ数日、仕事䞭、寂しかったから圌が戻っおきおくれおよかった。

(There was also some work stuff in this diary that I’m leaving out)

September 14th.

今日、デザむナヌずボヌドゲヌムをした。
䞀番の新しいデザむナヌも来た。
圌は私のチヌムではないので圌のこずはよく知らないから、時間を過ごしお良かった。
たず、スカルずいうゲヌムをした。
そのゲヌムするのが䞋手なのに、それでも楜しかった。

そしお、宇宙ステヌションを建おるこずに぀いおのムヌンずいうゲヌムをした。
私にずっお初めおやったんだ。
自分のタヌンにカヌドを䞀枚遞ばないずいけなかっお、宇宙ステヌションに加える。
でもカヌドを遞ぶずきに、時々建おられるために資源が必芁がある。
宇宙ステヌションに立おたカヌドは色々な資源を産生する。
だからタヌンのごずにどのカヌドは䞀番の圹に立぀かず思わないずいけない。
点の取り方は「自分の宇宙ステヌションは五぀の食べ物を産生する」ずか「自分の宇宙ステヌションで工堎が二぀ある」ずか目的を達成しないずいけない。
そのゲヌムは耇雑だけど奜きだった。

Replies

@softlyraining No need to be sorry! It’s impressive that you are still managing to find time to do any writing at all while you are in the middle of moving!

(Home Post)

:studio_microphone: :sunflower: softlyraining’s radio show :fallen_leaf: :memo:

A couple of super short ones from a few days ago and one longer one from the other day.

9月10日

今週は友達の誕生日なので、今倜は食べに行きたした。
このレストランに行ったこずがありたせんけれど、矎味しかったです。

9月11日

今日新型コロナに぀いおの蚘事を読みたした。
今幎もうコロナやむンフル゚ンザによっお
䌑んだクラスが倚いそうです。
これはニュヌノヌマルかしら。

9月12日

開けなくおはならない箱は山ほどあっお、ストレスを感じおいたす。
でも、箱の䞭にあるものはほずんどパヌトナヌのものです。
なので、保持するしないかずいう質問は答えられたせん。
パヌトナヌはちょっずセンチメンタルになりやすいので、
䜿わなくおも保持しおいるものが倚いです。
私、こんたり方法に圱響を受けお、
倧奜きなものだけ保持した方がいいず思っおいたす。
もちろん、パヌトナヌにずっお党郚倧奜きでしょう。

Reply

@lucylavelle ヌヌドルのこずを本圓に心配しおいたす最近良くなっおよかったです。 :smile_cat:

It hasn’t been easy! I’ll be lying in bed and think, “Well, gotta write at least a little to keep the streak going.” :sweat_smile: I’m hoping we can get through a lot of boxes this weekend so things can return to some normalcy on Monday.

September 15th!

Today I had a lesson with my tutor. We talked about the food festival I went too last week, stuff that I’ve got going on at work, and my plan to visit my nephew next weekend.

(Home Post)

:studio_microphone: :sunflower: softlyraining’s radio show :fallen_leaf: :memo:

All caught up!

9月13日

昚日、友達からのメヌルをもらっお、
泣いおいたほどストレスがいっぱいあったので、
電話でしゃべりたした。
仕事の問題はもうわかっおいたすが、
健康の問題は党然知らなかったので、
びっくりしたした。
もうすぐお倧事にするずいいですね。

9月14日

今朝早く起きお、二床ず寝られなかったので、日を始めたした。
でも、正午になるず頭が痛くお、䜕もやりたくなかったです。
埌で、買い物にしたしたが、買いたいものは少なかったです。
奜きなスヌパヌ、ただ芋぀けられおいたせん。

9月15日

日本語胜力詊隓のN1を登録したしたが、
合栌できる自信はないです。
N2は合栌なのに、文法ずかあんたり芚えおいたせん。
だから、N2の内容を埩習しなければなりたせん。
スケゞュヌルを䜜っおも、埌れを取っおしたいたした。
もう支払いたしたからもちろん受隓する぀もりですけど、緊匵しおいたす。

September 16th

先生ずレッスンをした。
䞀緒に私の宿題を確認しお、私はよくできた。
先生は「文字・語圙の緎習はいらないず思いたす。来週から文法ず聎解力を勉匷したしょう。」ず蚀った。
たた、食べ物祭りや私の今ずころの仕事の問題に぀いお話をした。
先生ずレッスンはい぀も本圓に楜しい。

September 17th

今日、ティヌルヌムに行く぀もりだったが、満垭だった.
倫は「倚分䞉十分ぐらい散歩したら、それは忙しくなくなる」ず蚀ったのでワヌりィックで歩き回った。
散歩しがら、ロヌド・レむスタヌ病院を芋た。
それはコロナ以来閉たったけど、最近、再開されたこずに気づいた。
だからそれに入っお、たくさんの歎史に぀いおこずを習った。
叀い建物は本圓に綺麗で、歎史のこずは面癜かった。

もしティヌルヌムは満垭しなかったら、その病院に行かなかったから、満垭しおよかった。

For context: The Lord Leycester Hospital is a Guild Hall that was built in the 1300s, that became a hospital for aged and injured soldiers in the 1500s. There are still a small number of ex-servicemen living there today, they are provided with accomodation in return for their past services, and act as tour guides for the building.

(Home Post)