📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2023 🧣🍂🍁

I haven’t posted in this challenge for a while but I am still reading every day. I finished Fatal Twelve the other week with the vn club and reading Flowers with the informal club. Outside of that, I’ve been reading random things here and there.

Idolmaster Shiny Colors recently added two new girls to the game, Hana and Haruki, so I am going through their initial stories. I finished Hana’s and her story was pretty interesting. Her preview bio was about how she’s basically the “natural idol” and it showed in her introduction as everyone seems to fall in love with her immediately. It’s kind of funny that is how the in-game story is because all of the Shiny fans have also fallen in love with her immediately too. She has a very 当然 attitude about her success too so I’m hoping the later stories explore her failing and how she handles that. Her character design is really cute too.

Since its almost the end of the year, a small recap of what I've read this year

I managed to finish 10 VNs this year (I think I’ll finish Printemps before the year ends, so it might hit 11). A decent increase from the 8 I read last year considering some of the things I read this year were a lot longer in comparison. The vote date is when I finished the VN.

I also managed to finish 18 volumes of manga and 4 light novels. I basically had 0 light novels read before this year so it was nice to get some in. LNs tend to take me the longest to read since narrative sections are harder for me/I have the least experience there so I’d like to read some more in the next year but I might get distracted with VNs again

17 Likes

:leaves: :snowflake: (home) :snowflake: :fallen_leaf:

Mon Dec 11 :art: This Art Club Has a Problem - (BBC wk 2 ) p 18, one page so I could say I read something today!

Tues Dec 12
:art: This Art Club Has a Problem - p 19-23 … ohh that’s what other people were cringing about. Bleh.
:eyeglasses: ホリミヤ - p 47-48 (ABBC wk 6 thread )

Wedthurfri “Today was really busy, it’s fine if I skip just one day” …and where the heck did the rest of the week go?

17 Likes

:house: home post :house:
:calendar: 12月16日 :calendar:

:question: Title How much read today Currently at Notes
:art: この美術部には問題がある! Chapter 2
:exclamation: あなたも殺人犯になれる! Chapter 16 47 new words
:orange_book: 奥日光 2 episodes 7/62
:kimono: 舞妓さんちのまかないさん 2 chapters 70/261
:railway_car: 阪急電車 2.2% 8.1% 45 new words

@polv ah I played BU$TAFELLOWS with the VN club and actually it’s one of my least favorite of the VNs I’ve played (not that I have played that many). Without revealing too much (but even a bit is still a bit too much if you prefer to know nothing about it, so putting spoiler tags just in case) what I didn’t like was that it was very extreme, as in, big Hollywood movie twists all the time. I’m fine with things that are a bit more soft, you don’t need to try to blow my mind like 10 times in a row

@lucylavelle wow cool job indeed! Yeah sounds like a tough decision, but leaving a stressful job is always the best decision I believe :muscle: Enjoy the coming break and good luck finding your next adventure! Will be fun to update your CV and add your Japanese skills to it if it’s not there already hehe

阪急電車

The only thing to see at the Takarazuka-minamiguchi station is the Takarazuka Hotel.

18 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Dec 16 :maple_leaf: :snowman_with_snow:

・サイレント・ウイッチ III (79% → 100%)
・サイレント・ウイッチ IV (0% → 4%)

Finished Silent Witch 3. That was very interesting, I liked it. Also the fact that アイク was a name one of the characters went with. I couldn’t stop thinking about Ike Eveland, lol.

As for amount of lookups, seems like there were more while I was reading this book compared to the previous volume: 220 vs 192-ish. It’s not a huge difference, but I do wonder about the difference in amount of unique words between the books. I don’t think it’s added on jpdb yet, so I can’t check.

Silent Witch 4 is going hard on the backstory - no wonder main character has massive social anxiety, she was hella traumatized :disappointed_relieved:

18 Likes

Dec 17

• Another three chapters of Ms Elf 3. Thank god we’re finally out of the fantasy stuff and back to the real world again, there’s so much damn fantasy guild political talk.

And remember kids,

日本語を学べば学ぶほど作品の本質を理解できることが楽しいの!
”The more Japanese you study, the more you understand things, and that’s super enjoyable!"

21 Likes

2023-12-17T01:20:00Z

I managed to read the whole sentence but I didn’t understand what it meant until I looked at the spoiler. At the very least, WaniKani is working for me. I can recognise the kanji even if I can’t understand the words in a sentence yet. :grin:

8 Likes

It helps if you know this N3 grammar point: ば〜ほど (JLPT N3) | Bunpro – Japanese Grammar Explained

7 Likes

Dec 17, Sun of Week 12 of Fall Q4 2023 :maple_leaf:

• STEINS;GATE (VN) Ch.4 (1 hour)

• DIJG : なしでは

Also なしでも, なしには. It’s that 無し.

Words of the day
  • うるうるした = teary eyes :sweat_drops:
  • そでとおす = to put on clothing
  • 念頭ねんとうく = to bear in mind
  • 伝家でんか宝刀ほうとう = treasured family sword; one’s last resort; hidden ace
  • 重役出勤じゅうやくしゅっきん = arrive to work late like a boss
  • 下火したび = dying down; waning

16 Likes

OK this week I was crazy busy with work, and then I was busy (with good things for a change!) over the weekend as well… :woman_facepalming:

I had started to read the first story of 小江健三郎 short story collection, but I did not get very far (about halfway through) when I realized that I should better tend to the 月の裏側 book club, but I didn’t make enough time to finish that reading either :cold_sweat: So bottom line: I did not make it too far into the 小江健三郎 short story, I am slightly behind on the 月の裏側 book club (although technically the new week only starts tomorrow, and I have only 20 pages left, so it’s still possible to catch up :sweat_smile:), and I am now three weeks behind on the あなたも殺人犯になれる book club :astonished:

My plan going forward is to definitely finish 月の裏側 this year, so I will prioritize this over everything, and secondly I want to finish at least the 小江 short story I started, so this will go second. Once I’m done with these, I will catch up with the IBC. :crossed_fingers:

18 Likes

My impressions on the game in short

I played it too (outside the VN book club) and I liked these twists and fast pace a lot ! What I liked less was that the revelations were always more and more gory and morbid. But I loooooved all the characters !

It was a good reading end of week for me. I can’t read chapters and chapters for now as I’m beginning, but I’ve read :
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: ホリミヤ chapter 1 to try to catch up with the ABBC book club
:sunglasses: Miss Shikimori’s not just a cutie chapter 1 with the ABBC book club
:deciduous_tree: Kiki-Mimi Radio episode 1 (and the 2nd tonight, hopefully) on Satori Reader
and I re-read (おんな)() from Japanese graded reader level 1 (and I understand all of it without dictionnary, which means I progressed a little since the first time I’ve read it :blush: )

21 Likes

:house: home post :house:
:calendar: 12月17日 :calendar:

:question: Title How much read today Currently at Notes
:orange_book: 奥日光 2 episodes 9/62
:kimono: 舞妓さんちのまかないさん 1 chapter 71/261
:railway_car: 阪急電車 1.6% 9.7% 34 new words

Nothing special to say! Have a good week everyone

17 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Dec 17 :maple_leaf: :snowman_with_snow:

・サイレント・ウイッチ IV (4% → 8%)

Short read, busy with exam.

18 Likes

December 16th!

Started reading 可愛いだけじゃない式守さん with the ABBC today.

December 17th!

The first chapter of Volume 3 of スーパーの裏でヤニ吸うふたり today.

(Home Post)

18 Likes

Dec 18

• Finished Ms Elf 3. Last bit flew by.
  • This week’s chapter of 美術部 with the BBC… eh. I’ll finish it with the club I guess but that’s about all I can say.
  • I should probably pick up 式守さん at some point just so I can help out in the ABBC
  • Not sure what’s next on the docket. Coin flip time probably.
18 Likes

:butterfly: December 15 :ocean:

:cat: Book Pages
:tiger: trash 87 - 108
:fallen_leaf: 季節を愉しむ366日 | L30?? December 16

:butterfly: December 16 :ocean:

:fallen_leaf: 季節を愉しむ366日 | L30?? December 17

:butterfly: December 17 :ocean:

:fallen_leaf: 季節を愉しむ366日 | L30?? December 18

Will add description/summary later

16 Likes

Of course!! Please enjoy and hopefully I’ll have the thread for the next challenge up this week.

8 Likes

Dec 18, Mon of Week 13 of Fall Q4 2023 :maple_leaf:

• あなたも殺人犯になれる! Ch.6-8 (17-28%)

• いちばんやさしい世界史の本 (5-6%)

• STEINS;GATE (VN) Ch.4 (1 hour 45 min)

Words of the day
  • ぽか. = blunder
  • ポケベル. = “pocket bell” = pager. That ancient messaging handheld.
  • 使つか勝手がってわるい = not user-friendly
  • 宮中きゅうちゅう = imperial court
  • 象形文字しょうけいもじ = hieroglyph
  • 写実的しゃじつてき = realistic
  • 流砂りゅうさ = quicksand. 流砂りゅうしゃ variant doesn’t work well with the Google IME.
  • 興亡こうぼう = rise and fall, e.g. of nation
  • ノアの方舟はこぶね = Noah’s ark. Also, ノアの箱舟はこぶね.
  • 舌足したたらず = unclear wording
  • なべ = working at night. Like doing 内職ないしょく.
  • 度外視どがいし = disregarding
  • 快挙かいきょ = spectacular feat
  • ほねうずめる = to devote the rest of one’s life
  • あしない = cannot do a thing; to be at wit’s end

17 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Dec 18 :maple_leaf: :snowman_with_snow:

・サイレント・ウイッチ IV (8% → 15%)

Got to read a bit even during busy exam time. I’mma have to pull an all-nighter which I’m not looking forward to, but it can’t be helped. I hate writing reports, this always happens :durtle_durtverted_lvl1: At least the topic is kinda interesting, so not entirely unenjoyable - I’m probably the only one in class with that opinion, hahaha.

20 Likes

12月18日月曜日

:heart_eyes: ホリミヤ chapter 1 second part, week 2 of the ABBC.
I struggled a lot with everyday expressions, hopefully I’ll recognize them next time I encounter them :sweat_smile:

I took a monthly submission to Satori Reader because I’m impressed by the service so far. I want to see more of it ^^

@Redglare best of luck for your exams !

20 Likes

Dec 19

17 Likes