ホリミヤ ・ Horimiya 🎀 👓 Week 6 Discussion Thread (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Welcome to Week 6 of the Horimiya book club!

We are reading as part of the Absolute Beginner Book Club!

Week 6 September 30 2023
Pages 41 - 59 (39 - 57)
Chapter 2
Last Week Week 5
Next week Week 7
Home Thread ホリミヤ・Horimiya
The final panel(s) for this week

Vocabulary

ホリミヤ Volume 1 Vocabulary List - Google Sheets

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Please note that this was auto-generated and might need some additional editing, but it should serve as a solid starting point. If you have any questions/doubts, please post them in this thread!

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Membership

Will you be reading with us this week?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’ve finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m reading this after the book club is already finished
0 voters

For our newer readers

How are you doing so far?
  • It’s going really well
  • It’s going well
  • I’m struggling, but I manage
  • I’m struggling so much I’m thinking of dropping the book
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I have read harder manga/books than this one but I still need to click a poll option
0 voters

(This poll is anonymous)

Just remember that the club is always here! Even if you decide it’s too much right now, you can always come back later and review the threads/ask more questions if they weren’t answered! If there’s anything I can do as the organizer to make things easier for you guys, just let me know as well!

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching if you want to receive notifications for discussion!

Handwritten text this week

Note: Physical book pages are listed in parentheses.

Pg. 41 (39)

堀 Portrait: 地味

宮村 Portrait: ピアス=

堀 Caption: 弟の世話

宮村 Caption: ピアスが目立つはカンベンです。

休日はほとんど家に来てるしね

そういえば

Pg. 42 (40)

あと水泳は選択授業よ…

Pg. 45 (43)

たしかにー

Pg. 46 (44)

目が死んでる

男子高生 1: 堀の水着姿か!?

男子高生 2: おおお…っ

由紀: 男って本当にアレだなぁ…

知らないしっ

Pg. 47 (45)

忙しそうだもんね

男子高生: いいだろ別にー

堀の友達 (貴子?): よくないわよ!!

Pg. 48 (46)

アイスの話で騒いでいた気がする…

(I’m not 100% on the 騒ぐ)

Pg. 50 (48)

んでスタバ行くぞスタバー!!

宮村: 創太はオレンジジュースだなっ

創太: ぼくコーヒーのめるもん!

有菜: マジかっ

宮村: よいしょー

有菜: たじ…

バーカっ

Pg. 51 (49)

でこ!?

Pg. 53 (51)

宮村: おー いいのあったか

創太: コレー?

Pg. 54 (52)

そういえば
その荷物…

Pg. 56 (54)

え、まさか無い…とか…?

忘れたなどと絶対に言えない…

あ、あれ!?

Pg. 57 (55)

でもコーヒーだとちょっと苦すぎるんだよねぇ…

間接キスーっ

Pg. 58 (56)

でも堀さんはカフェラテが苦手おぼえておこう…

うーん

5 Likes

Posted this early by accident. I will get the handwritten text section completed!

This week is a little longer than last week as well, but then we have a shorter week again following after, so don’t stress too much about the speed increase! It’ll level back out!

1 Like

can you please check the last panel pic again? I think it’s the same as last week’s :thinking:

2 Likes

Still fixing opening post! That will be fixed also, don’t worry

4 Likes

gotcha, thanks and sorry !
fatengrii-chasmiss

3 Likes

No need to apologize! It’s totally possible it would be something I forgot if I didn’t have the little reminder while I was working on the handwritten text. :grin:

Everything should be good in the opening post now!

3 Likes

Chapter 2 is among my favourites in terms of how it begins. It’s just such a horimiya thing

2 Likes

I tried to translate the general meaning and have some questions about the grammar, please explain them for me :3

Page 41

堀さん学校での姿とは違い家ではスッピン主婦業に勤しんでいる
Hori-san’s appearance at school is different than at home, without make up and work hard at house work.

What does the と after 姿 do? Why does 違い just sit in the middle of the sentence without any connecting particle? Why does there is a は in 家で instead of a の?

宮村くん学校での暗く地味な印象とは一変
Miyamura-kun’s (appearance) at school is a gloomy, plain impression, at home is a complete change

I thought to connect 2 adj, 暗い and 地味な, we must use て form, like 暗くて地味な? Also why 家とは in stead of 家では?

休日にはピアスだらけのアレな姿で一日を過ごしている
In off-day, spend a day being covered with a fully covered piercing appearance.

What does のアレな mean?

ちょっとしたことがきつかけでお互いの知らない一面を見てしまい
… Saw the unknown side of each other

I can’t understand したことがきつかけで, I just know that こと refers to a thing

今じゃすつかり秘密の共有者である
Now, there is a secret shared by both of us

I can’t understand じゃすつかり

堀さんどうしよう
Hori-san, what should I do?

プールが始まるよ
The pool has started

大変だよ
It’s terrible

いいじゃない
Isn’t that good?

暑い中マラソンするよりは
It’s better than hot middle (?) marathon

What does the 中 do? Is it “in the middle of the marathon”?

よくない
It’s not good

色々なモノが見つかっちゃうよ
There’s a lot of things that can be discovered

I guessed the meaning since I don’t know what’s “っちゃう” grammar is

色々なモノって何
What things…

Thank you very much

2 Likes
Page 42

どうしよう刺青
What to do with this?

The furigana for 刺青 is これ, finally I found a case of the furigana is different from the reading in the wild haha

私はアンタが時々マジですごいのかマジでバカなのかわからなくなるわ
Sometimes I can’t understand if you’re great or stupid

I’m unsure about the grammar at the end, is it わからない + なる, like become can’t understand?

お互いまだ知らないことばかりである
There are still some things that’s is unknown between us

2 Likes
Page 45

あっつい
Hot~

外の暑さってなんなの?クーラーないと死んじゃうって
Do we have to go outside when it’s hot? I will die if there is no cooler

What is “じゃうって” grammar? also さって is て form of 去る right?

この日差しの中体育とか絶対無理だわ
P.E. in the middle of this sunlight is absolutely unreasonable

一人だけ猛者がいるけどね
But there’s only one who is a brave person

そういえば。。。年中通して恰好変わらないよね
By the way, his appearance doesn’t change throughout the year right

極度の寒がりとかかな
I wonder if he’s really cold

I don’t understand “りとか”

違うのよアレ
Wrong

Is のよ is just emphasis or is it a grammar point

It’s 4 am now, I think that’s enough for today ~~

2 Likes
p41

と違う is a common phrase for “to differ from”. と違い is similar, meaning “Unlike x”.

It’s a topic change. Unlike her appearance at school, [topic change] at home… Also adds emphasis.

The く form of い adjectives can often function similar to an “and”.

No 家とは here, maybe you are looking at the 印象とは?

ピアスだらけのアレ is a “thing full of piercings”. “He looks like a thing full of piercings”. Very nice.

ちょっとしたこと is “was a little thing”. Also, that’s きっかけ, aka occasion. I’d translate it as “It was through a coincidence that they saw each others’ unknown sides”, though that’s not at all literal.

That’s 今じゃすっかり…
じゃ, the contraction of では, and すっかり, completely.
“Now we share a secret” is the wanted meaning here

Japanese like to refer to things using words that are tangentially related. For example, pool here is swimming lessons at school.

中 often just means “in”. 暑い中 is “in the heat”. “It’s better than running a marathon in (this) heat”

https://jlptsensei.com/learn-japanese-grammar/てしまう-te-shimau-ちゃう-meaning/

p42

Literally: “I sometimes become not aware, if I think that you are awesome or rather stupid”
I think

p45

That’s not 暑 + さって, that’s 暑さ + って, “hotness = temperature” and casual quotation respectively .“What’s this heat about?!” And クーラー is “air conditioner” in this case.

Also ちゃう but for verbs ending in で in the て form, like しんで.

This is technically correct, but むり is more colloquially “stupid/bad/bad idea”, or anything of the sort.
Think of how it literally means impossible, so the english meaning would also be more extreme.

This かな is more of a rhetorical question. “He must be extremely cold, huh”

That’s not just りとか, that’s 寒がり + とか
gari: https://jlptsensei.com/learn-japanese-grammar/がり-gari-meaning/

の here is the explanatory の particle, so “I’m telling you…”. よ also adds more emphasis.

6 Likes

Thank youuu
象 and 家 looks too similar haha xD Also the font used in the manga makes つ and っ looks alike

2 Likes
Pg. 41

So, first, I broke up the sentences a little bit differently than you did.

学校での姿とは違い reads to me as one sentence. Then the next sentence is 家では[…]

“At school, Hori’s appearance is different. At home, she has no makeup and she endeavors to work hard at housekeeping.”

But either way, to answer the と question, this is actually a combined particle 「とは」which is used when defining something. It’s used to describe the characteristics of something.

In this case, 姿 is being defined as 「違い」

では is both a location and subject particle: “As for at home” essentially.

く is also just a continuative form in its own right. It’s just a little bit more literary nuance than くて.

I think you may have misread something here. It’s 印象とは, not 家. But とは is used as that same defining particle.

The rest @Gorbit99 answered (I’m just leaving the rest of my answers in to add to what he’s already said)

Pg. 42

Yes, you have this correct.

Pg. 45

でしまう, contracted to colloquial. “To do ~ completely”

The second part, no; it’s 暑い in noun form of 暑さ, with って colloquial particle (basically behaving as a は in this case).

寒がり is “someone who is sensitive to cold”

がり itself is a common grammar point used in conjunction with common grammar point used in conjunction with adjectives to say somebody is sensitive to, or similar to, that attribute.

とか is just a generic softener, essentially. “Something like ~”

Emphasis, essentially. 違うの (it is that it is wrong) + よ (to emphasize)

4 Likes

Hmm, took a bit longer to read today because of interrupted reading. Also my god the official scan quality is awful lmao i cannot read half of this furigana.

Chapter spoilers Absolutely love Miyamura offering her his drink without thinking and her nonchalantly taking it and then collapsing outside of the room out of shock instead, it says so much about their personalities lol. And he doesn’t even notice then haha…

p41

Wtf. I just realised I don’t remember ever explicitly learning this piece of grammar even though I’ve seen and use it all the time. Language!

4 Likes
Page 57 (55)

Is it all Hori’s thoughts in the first few dialog bubbles mentioning パパ and ママ?
I’m struggling to work out who this belongs to.

1 Like

Slowly losing my mind with the page disparity, for a second I thought I skipped one week of reading :joy:
I mean, the physical version starts early but also ends earlier than the digital @_@

1 Like

Yeah, top half of the page is all Hori.

2 Likes
Page 46

ただ単に暑いの我慢してるだけなのよ
It’s only a simple heat endurance

本人いわく「Yシャツだと刺青が透け」ってことだしなあ
that said person said if he wears white shirts the tattoo will show through

I think the grammar here is A と B → If A, then B happens

こうも暑いとプールとか行きたいわ
If it’s hot like this I want to go to pool

Idk if it’s the same A と B like the previous sentence but my translation sounds weird so I think it’s wrong

近くにあったらいいのに
If it is close that would be good huh

でも最近太っちゃったからね
But because recently I have gotten fat accidentally

I think the から is making this sentence the cause of the next sentence, but i don’t know if it is “since recently”

今は無理
Now is bad (I can’t go to the pool now because I’ve gotten fat recently)

それで太ってるとか堀
Then, get fat Hori

This sounds confusing, I don’t know if I understood it right. 太ってるとか is “things like getting fat”?

な何よ
W-what

じゃあさ堀達今日帰りヒマ?
Then, today will Hori’s group free after going home from school?

駅前通りのアイス屋さん寄ってかない?
Wanna go to the ice cream shop at the road before the station?

この前出来た所でしょ?いいな
The place that was able to the other day? It’s good right

I’m pretty sure I got this wrong

いつの間に?
In this interval?

Like in this kind of hot weather but I can’t find a more natural word for 間

1 Like
Page 47

結構有名なお店なんだけどな
But it’s the famous and good shop

堀が知らないって意外だね
Hori not knowing is unexpected

あんまり外で食べたりしないから
Because I don’t eat outside much

何何
Nani nani

アイス食いに行くのか?
You guys going to eat ice cream?

今日暑いもんな
Today is hot huh

堀も行くのか?
Does Hori also go?

なんか来た!男子の目的が見え見えなのよ
Why did you come! Your boys’ purpose is visible

寄り道か。。。いいな
A detour huh… That’s good

2 Likes
p46

More or less right, but maybe more like “He’s simply just enduring the heat!” (as opposed to being sensitive to cold)

Yup for だと, though いわくI feel is a bit closer to ‘According to…’ or ‘that person says’.

Nah you’re good. (I think the the こうも is short for こういうも but idk). Maybe more naturally “If it’s going to be hot like this, I wanna go to somewhere like the pool?”

I think it’s more like それで 「太ってる」と か 堀 or “You call that ‘fat’, Hori?”. At least judging by the official eng translation. It is a bit confusing cos it just runs together, I admit.

In this case この前出来た is more like “That place that was recently set up” – you could think of it like “That place it just recently became able to go to”.

This is a shortened form of いつの間にか

Your p47 is all good :+1:

4 Likes