📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2023 🧣🍂🍁

:leaves: :snowflake: (home) :snowflake: :fallen_leaf:

Sat Dec 16:
:art: This Art Club Has a Problem - p 24-33 (BBC wk 2 )
more cringiness

Mon Dec 18
:eyeglasses: ホリミヤ - p 49-50 (ABBC thread)
OMG the little kids are speaking entirely in hiragana this is pain :fire:

19 Likes

10/12 17 pages Spy Family (finished mission 63), 63 pages 本好きの下剋上 manga, aDoBJG appendix 6

11/12 2 pages Spy Family, 13 pages 本好きの下剋上 manga

12/12 55 pages 本好きの下剋上 manga (finished volume 2), aDoBJG appendix 7

13/12 1 page Spy Family, 6 pages おじさまと猫

14/12 1 page Spy Family, 14 pages おじさまと猫

15/12 4 pages 本好きの下剋上, 11 pages Spy Family (finished mission 64), 10 pages おじさまと猫

16/12 5 pages Spy Family, 3 pages おじさまと猫

17/12 4 pages Spy Family

18/12 4 pages 舞妓さんちのまかないさん

I’ve done ok at reading, less well at posting!

Quite a few days have been very short reads due to tiredness and work. Tiredness is slowly improving. I’m plodding forward on manga but will hopefully have more time end of the week.

21 Likes
It could be worse ;)

9 Likes

I missed this - a late congrats!!! :magic_wand:

12 Likes

Tyy! :owl: :crystal_ball: Chapter two is actually a little easier so far since it’s daily life so uses easier vocab.

9 Likes

Dec 19, Tue of Week 13 of Fall Q4 2023 :maple_leaf:

• いちばんやさしい世界史の本 (6-8%)

• あなたも殺人犯になれる! Ch.9 (28-31%)

• STEINS;GATE (VN) Ch.4 (1 hour)

• DIJG : ねばならない

Words of the day
  • 知事ちじ = (prefectural) governor
  • 偶像崇拝ぐうぞうすうはい = idol worship (other than single God)
  • トロイの木馬もくば = Trojan horse. Wooden horse as a tribute to Troy.
  • 浚さらう = to clean out a well. A well of brain memory.
  • 嘲あざける = to laugh at. Much like 嘲笑あざわらう (あざ笑わらう).
  • 書かき殴なぐる = to write roughly quickly; to scribble = 殴なぐり書がきする. Punching :facepunch: version of 走はしり書がき.

18 Likes

12月19日火曜日

:notes: Kiki-Mimi Radio, episodes 3 and 4 on Satori Reader.

I learn a lot but I have to come across words and expressions several times to recognize them (seems logical :sweat_smile:) For now, I don’t want reading to be a chore so I don’t make flashcards neither take notes.
What do you all do about new words ?

17 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Dec 19 :maple_leaf: :snowman_with_snow:

・サイレント・ウイッチ IV (15% → 17%)

Thank goodness classmate stayed up pulling all-nighter with me. I dozed off so many times, やばかったよ. I ended up staying in that zoom meeting for 28 hours, it was crazy. But now exam done~ :raised_hands:

Thank you! That was the last one, so now I can finally enjoy winter holiday :durtle_noice: :sparkles:

19 Likes

Dec 20

• Finished 少女漫画主人公xライバル on the way home, very cute, will probably read more if it goes on sale.
  • Bought and started 式守さん, but not sticking to the ABBC’s timing. It’s super cute! I love the way かっこいい式守さん is drawn.
18 Likes

Forgot to reply to this earlier. You have the right idea imho in not stopping to make flashcards and interrupting your ‘flow state’ during your initial read. But I also recommend coming back again later to read over the work again and at that point writing down the words you don’t know. If you like flashcards, then you can make them here as well.

12 Likes

Thank you ! I don’t really like flashcards, but reading over again what I’ve already read is something I can do (and already do). I’ll try do do words list at this stage ^^

2 Likes

Dec 20, Wed of Week 13 of Fall Q4 2023 :maple_leaf:

• いちばんやさしい世界史の本 (8-10%)

• STEINS;GATE (VN) Ch.4 (1 hour)

Words of the day
  • 僭主せんしゅ = usurper; despot. Just absolute power. First Kanji in 僭越せんえつながら.
  • 専制政治せんせいせいじ = despotic government
  • プラトン. = Plato. Not to be confused with Plantron.
  • 許ゆるしを請こう = to beg for forgiveness
  • あっけらかん.と = unconcernedly

13 Likes

12月20日水曜日

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: ホリミヤ volume, 5 more pages (alongside with the 3rd week of the ABBC)

まったく ! These tiny tiny furigana will be the end of my eyes :smiling_face_with_tear: I have to watch them with a magnifying glass (for real^^) :open_mouth:

@polv seeing your words of the day these past few days, I get the impression your reading is quite politic.

17 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Dec 20 :maple_leaf: :snowman_with_snow:

・サイレント・ウイッチ IV (17% → 27%)

Just chilling today.

New favorite 5 kanji word: 左右非対称 = bilateral asymmetry

17 Likes

Dec 21

• Finished off 式守さん1, will definitely keep going but will probably wait for a sale - there’s a ridiculous amount of volumes of this…!
  • Might… might start 薬屋の独り言. (Manga version). It’s rated even higher than ティアムーヌ but I watched the anime recently and it seems to have full furigana, so maybe it’s manageable…? At least I’ll chip away at it.
16 Likes

Chip away looks to be about right. Of the first volume’s roughly 3,000 words, there are about 1,500 unique words, of which about 1,000 appear only once.

Not surprisingly, the other manga adaptation has similar stats for its first volume (and also lacks furigana).

8 Likes

Oops, I forgot to post for a few days! I’ve still been reading every day though.

Dec 18th
Shadows House Chapter 143

Dec 19th
Shadows House Chapter 144

Dec 20th
A page and a bit of コンビニ人間 today. I’ve fallen behind on my plan to finish it before the end of the year - but its my last week at my job so its been pretty hectic.
I’m hoping to get enough reading time one I finish work - last day tomorrow…

(Home Post)

16 Likes

Got about 22% in in 35min, though I think the complexity will probably ramp up the more case breakdowns I need to read, so I’m guessing this might be a 3+ hr read or so and I’ll have a lot more palace vocabulary by the end.

The full furigana helps a lot for lookups, I have to say. Kaku is struggling with the quality level + occasionally slightly weird fonts… Android OCR still isn’t there, alas. (Imagine if every manga came with a text file of the script…)

8 Likes

The no-furigana manga adaptation has a higher resolution :wink:

2 Likes

I’m reading faster than Tearmoon despite Kaku having issues. I can’t tell if that means I got better since Tearmoon, Tearmoon is too low/Apothecary is too high on natively, or I’m just more familiar with the language in Apothecary. Maybe all three.

A bit curious about the other manga version though, but it’s not on KU lol

5 Likes