📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

Main Post

A bit later than normal, but I did finish reading through Cells at Work! volume 1. It was a good read. Kinda hard to place difficulty wise, because it’s easy to follow the action and knowing what’s going on, but there was just a lot of vocabulary I’m unfamiliar with. So I had to look it up and break down chapters in smaller pieces. It’s something to pick up again in the near future, manga or anime.

That makes 50 volumes worth of manga read this year. That one piece rush really made a difference. Haven’t been very good at being able to read multiple things unless it’s very different like manga and games. Between manga and books, it’s usually one or the other. My last thing on the list is Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata which I started this week. Only was able to read a few pages till now. It had always looked scary whenever I glanced upon it, but it doesn’t seem to bad now. Sitting with it for a minute it looks much cleaner and less dense than. Am I getting better at reading Japanese or is this better written, too early to tell. There is a challenge in finding good points to stop for the night when reading as there no chapters, still I think I’ll figure things out as I go along. I don’t have anything specific planned after this, so I can take till the end of the year for this.

Gaming wise, it would be nice if I can finish Pokemon Scarlet this year. I also have some shiritori puzzles left that just kinda beg to be completed. I have the time off between xmas and new years, so I can catch up on all things.

22 Likes

I remember reading some reviews in here that said that it’s not that interesting, but also that it’s an easy read, which is most important for my sauna pick as I’m not allowed to use my phone (i.e. my dictionary) there :scream:
So I guess I will see how it goes, in the hope that it is not too boring :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221214 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 95.90% :ocean:

The conversation still carries on.

Came across some cool words and phrases this time
(the conversation also took a fairly interesting turn too, after pages and pages of rambling)

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

神経衰弱「しんけいすいじゃく」ー Neurasthenia; nervous breakdown
暮色蒼然「ぼしょくそうぜん」ー Dusky; the sombre light of dusk; the colour of twilight (cool word)
物数奇「ものずき」ー Curiosity; fancifulness; whimsy
月賦「げっぷ」ー Monthly instalment; monthly payment

Forms
贋物 = 偽物「にせもの」(Fake; forgery; counterfeit; sham)

Expression
燕雀安んぞ鴻鵠の志を知らんや

燕雀えんじゃくいずくんぞ大鵬たいほうこころざしを知らんや
(The book gives this version which uses slightly different kanji)

Meaning: Only a hero can understand a hero; swallows and sparrows (small birds) can’t understand the aspirations of phoenixes and swans (big birds).

Can also just be expressed as:
燕雀鴻鵠「えんじゃくこうこく」

19 Likes

Dec 14, Wed of Week 12 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• 人間失格 Prologue, and a little into Ch.1 (0 => 5%)
Interesting words
  • おべっか = flattery
  • (おぼ)え = a memory. From (おぼ)える, but I confuse with ()める (目覚(めざ)める).
  • 衣食住(いしょくじゅう) = clothes - food - and shelter. The last one from ()む or 住所(じゅうしょ), but I confused with (はしら).
  • 暗然(あんぜん) = gloomy
  • 手記(しゅき) = memoirs
  • (すこぶ)る = adj meaning, extremely. Sounds to me like (すご)(い)()り.

Phrases

• 千載一遇(せんざいいちぐう) = a rare opportunity. It sounds to me that I usually have to publish 1000+ books before having a single chance, or read 1000+ published books first. However, JJ dict says – 「千載」は、千年、長い年月。「一遇」は、一度会うこと.
15 Likes

December 14 :heavy_check_mark: :tophat: :dancer:

叙述トリック短編集 , 55-60%
おばちゃんたちのいるところ, 43-47%

Today I finished this week’s Wild Ladies (a story both mildly funny and heartwarming) and the 4th story from my advent narration tricks book. The trick didn’t satisfy me this time - I liked the idea behind it, but I felt that the execution left something to be desired.

With this week’s book clubs taken care of (I can’t believe I’m still managing to keep up), I may dedicate the little that remains of the week to progressing with my mountain ghost stories book. It would be good if I could finish it by the end of the year, but I don’t want to rush through it just for the sake of finishing. Note to self: It would also be absolutely fine if I don’t necessarily read two different books on some days.

19 Likes

December 14th

:snowflake: :christmas_tree:Home post:christmas_tree::snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 2 or Aria: the masterpiece volume 2 – progress report

Yesterday: Read up to page 294.of Aria: the masterpiece volume 2.
Today: Read up to page 306, finished chapter 18.

Went back to the explanation a few pages ago, still didn’t understand everything, ah well.
The rest of the chapter was manageable again (except for the second honourable mention today).
Frankly, I was not that surprised to learn that Al is older than he looks, so Aika officially made a fool of herself during her parting words – hell, even Akari called her out on her ‘embarassing’ phrases. :grin:

Speaking of Al, I still need to get accustomed to identifying speech patterns and dialects. While I noticed something being off with the way he talks as it didn’t quite match his appearance, I was not aware that he’s talking ‘like an old man’ according to Aika. I suppose that only more exposure to spoken dialogue in manga, novels and books will help me when it comes to recognising and distinguishing speech patterns more reliably in the future.

@saidahgilbert
Haha, I also typed ちめん for 地面 once as of yet, so you’re not alone in your struggle. :upside_down_face:

Word or expression of the day:

一個一個 - (いっこいっこ) - one-by-one, individual​

Honourable mention(s):
別れ際 - (わかれぎわ) - at parting, on parting
特殊相対性理論 - (とくしゅそうたいせいりろん) - special theory of relativity
:eyes: what is this monstrosity?!

20 Likes

Home post :bookmark:

:maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: Dec 14 :snowman_with_snow::christmas_tree:

・ 封印再度 (4% → 11%)

I finished the first chapter since last time I posted an update. We’re going in the right direction, woo!

Also finished all my exams :3 Thankfully had my study buddy motivating me through the last few days prior to exam. Zoomies with study buddy, working together on a single shared google doc. Enjoyed that a lot actually. She’s so sweet.

22 Likes

December 14th!

Today I read chapter 39 of Shadow’s House. There is a lot of mystery at the moment so I’m looking forward to seeing what happens.
I’m planning to read Chapter 40 tomorrow.

(Home Post)

18 Likes

:frog: Home :phone:

December 14

人間椅子 -

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険56
36 - 99

I felt anxious last night so didn’t start reading until late. Readings made me feel a lot better though so I wish I had done more earlier.

I think I’ll be trying to read in all my free time until this anxiety passes (which it should soon).

20 Likes

Home

The 6 volumes of CLAMP Premium Collection version of xxxHolic that I ordered with my TOM points a few months ago arrived today! They’re so pretty, I can’t wait to read them, or to get more (my last set of points I used on a couple little taibani figures, so it’ll be a while. Which is probably a good thing, considering how many unread books I have lmao).

I read JJK0 ch 2. Ugh, Getou shows up. I don’t remember much about him from the anime aside from that I don’t like him.

Oh yeah, and yesterday I had just done the lesson for 匹 and it showed up in the JJK chap I read, and today I had just done the lesson for 元々 and it showed up in the JJK chap I read. They’re both words I already knew, but it’s still kinda funny.

In other reading news: Yesterday while writing a fic, I used the “[adj.] as all get-out” construction, and I don’t say it—I say “[adj.] as (all) hell”—and I don’t know anyone else who does, so I was wondering where the hell I’d picked it up. Well, while reading Harm for the Holidays, I came across it, so I think I got it from Donn Cortez. Anyway, I had thought I’d started this book a little early, but even if I’ve been reading at least one chapter at a time, I haven’t been reading it every day, so I’ve only just today gotten past the halfway point. I should still finish it before xmas though, I hope. This is the longest it’s taken me to read this book, but I guess that’s not really surprising considering all the other stuff I’m doing.

Some vocab of note:

追い打ち (おいうち) [noun] additional attack on a weakened enemy; additional blow to an already unfortunate situation

18 Likes

Teeny tiny read today, way below my daily goal to finish out the year, but, I realized that with the holidays I’ll actually have more free time since some of my usual social activities are cancelled, so I’m now much less worried about completing on time.

So, I gave into my impulse to binge Japanese listening content. I make great progress when I don’t waffle over what to watch!

Also did my advent reading. Didn’t expect to be reading about salads, but here we are. Kind of disappointed I haven’t found any major gems, though. I feel like as I get deeper into the less read parts of Aozora they’re less read for a reason :upside_down_face:

20 Likes

:snowflake: :christmas_tree: December 14th :christmas_tree: :snowflake: (Home Post Link)

Read:

Good Words

NHK
がん ー cancer
帝王「ていおう」ー monarch, emperor

ホリミヤ
呟く「つぶやく」ー to grumble (also to tweet, like post on twitter)
国語「こくご」ー native language

19 Likes

December 14 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Finals season is still ruining me so just read a bit of 山猫 to keep the habit alive :muscle:

19 Likes

Finished chapter 2-2. Unsure if I want to keep reading today. I’m super tired :sleeping:

18 Likes

Home Post

Day 35 Progress:
お隣の天使様 四冊 - 33.66% → 39.58%

Did you do it? Yes.
What did it cost? Everything, but especially my sleep.

Gonna be one hell of a day at work tomorrow.

Word of the Day: おぼれる - to struggle in the water or sink below (and be unable to breathe). Very amusing that the kanji used is, unsurprisingly, ‘weak to water’.

21 Likes

:house:
Dec 15

かがみの孤城 (上) 90% → 95% (page 445)

I stopped reading for a few days but picked it back up today. I should be able to finish the book tomorrow!!

21 Likes

Dec 15, Thu of Week 12 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• Death Note Vol.5 Ch.43 (end volume)

Deadly meeting. Actually, I watched anime a little ahead.

Sorry, but I skimmed two vols ahead just now. – 計画通り –

• うたわれるもの (a little less than 1 hour)

Night camp and girls. (See vocabularies :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Interesting words
  • ドジ = blunder
  • ボヤキ = grumble. Verb form being ボヤく, meaning to ぶつぶつ.
  • (らく)チン = easy-peasy
  • 競馬(けいば) = horse-racing
  • 召喚(しょうかん) = summoning
  • 魔物(まもの) = demon
  • 夜泣(よな)き = crying (of an infant) at night
  • 災厄(さいやく) = calamity = 災難(さいなん)
  • 人事(じんじ) = human affairs (personnel’s)
  • 母子家庭(ぼしかてい) The first part is 母子(ぼし) = mother and child.
  • (けん) = combination
  • 専念(せんねん) = undivided attention. Think, specialized attention.
  • ()ける = to receive a contract / to redeem = ()()う / ()()
  • 安直(あんちょく) = simplistic. Cheap and direct.
  • 定石(じょうせき) = standard tactics. Like a standard targeting stone?
  • 一環(いっかん) = make a ring / a part of a ring
  • 巡回(じゅんかい) = a patrol
  • 発覚(はっかく) = disclosure
  • ()だくさん = full of ingredients. Well, 具沢山.
  • 世辞(せじ) = flattery
  • 泥濘(ぬか)る = to get muddy. However, such places are called 泥濘(ぬかるみ). An alternative verb form is indeed 泥濘(ぬかる)む.
  • 開墾(かいこん) = cultivation (farming) of a wasteland
  • 塩梅(あんばい) = seasoning
  • 調理(ちょうり) = cooking. Just like 料理(りょうり).
  • 湯水(ゆみず) = hot and cold water. Also means things to use plentifully, wastefully.
  • 湯浴(ゆあ)み = taking a bath
  • 格別(かくべつ) = special
  • しなやか = nimble. Perhaps like a high quality (しな).
  • 余所余所(よそよそ)しい = being distant. Of course, 余所(よそ).
  • ()えたぎる = to be boiling hot / to be on a rolling boil. There is even more Kanji’d form ()(たぎ)る. (Put in for the sake of Yomichan).

SFX

• もたつく = to catch もたもた = slowing down
  • ヨボヨボ = tottering like a toddler / unsteady gait
  • ズラリ = in a row / in a line

Phrases

• 遜色(そんしょく)がない = by no means inferior to. Japanese people just don’t like the color / feel of a (まご) or a son (子孫(しそん)), standing on a scooter.
  • 舌鼓(したつづみ)()つ = to eat with much gusto. The drum alone is called (つづみ), and Kanji also used in 太鼓(たいこ).
  • (われ)(かえ)る = to come back to one’s sense
17 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221215 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 96.71% :raccoon:

The conversation continues, with one of them talking for more than a whole page

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

世態人情「せたいにんじょう」ー Contemporary customs and behaviours
竹槍「たけやり」ー Bamboo spear

19 Likes

December 15th

:snowflake: :christmas_tree:Home post:christmas_tree::snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 2 or Aria: the masterpiece volume 2 – progress report

Yesterday: Read up to page 306, finished chapter 18.
Today: Read up to page 341, finished chapter 19.

I’ve been feeling pretty anxious for the last few hours and I don’t really know why (hopefully a good night’s sleep will put body and mind at ease again). To distract myself from that, I read a whole chapter in midst of the week for once.

Word or expression of the day:

祝う - (いわう) - to celebrate, to congratulate, to observe (a festival)​

Honourable mention(s):
染まる - (そまる) - to be dyed​
使い古す - (つかいふるす) - to wear out (something)​
受け継ぐ - (うけつぐ) - to inherit, to succeed, to take over

20 Likes

Haven’t posted in days.

11/12 5 pages かみさまがまちがえる

12/12 6 pages シャドーハウス, 2 pages かみさまがまちがえる

13/12 skimmed 6 pages シャドーハウス

14/12 read over those 6 pages, plus 2 more