Re Zero volume 5 week 1

I have a couple of pages left, but since I don’t think it will come up again, I’d say he didn’t realize, no. The duel had another meaning for him.

3 Likes
Spoiler

I was sure he mentionned he realized is own powerlessness or something. He thinks he is pathetic after that so maybe that’s the difference.

Yeah he doesn’t. He knows he’s powerless but he does’t know why Julius really did it. And telling him probably won’t make a difference, he won’t accept it.

4 Likes

Yeah I think they were mentioned at least once by Rem when she was torturing Subaru in volume 2.

2 Likes

Really? He did found a meaning in the battle though. He didn’t want to let Reinhart steal the meaning of the battle no? Have I completly misunderstood that part?

For Subaru, it was just a battle of obstinacy. He wanted to prove that he’s ready to do whatever it takes to stand by Emilia’s side even when he knows how powerless he is, that’s the meaning of the duel for him (which is also why he doesn’t accept Reinhard’s intervention, because he actually understands nothing of the two sides). From his point of view, Julius simply wanted to “put distance between Emilia and Subaru”, because he considered him not worthy.

5 Likes

Oh, I didn’t think about that at all. I just re read the prologue, but not that part in vol 2 because no. I don’t think the cult organization was mentioned by name in volume 2? Or maybe I forgot it, I’m not too good with Japanese names for organizations. :stuck_out_tongue:

Having reread, his, ah. Job description I guess? Still strikes me as potentially supernatural. More supernatural than merely witch cult ish that is. I haven’t totally given up on my pet theory haha.

I found it very interesting that he gave Subaru the potential title of another of the 7 sins though. That kind of got lost in the creepy the first time around.

I’m really bad with creepy.

5 Likes

I find that pride suits him very well. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was true

4 Likes

They were. Rem seems to have a past with them

:grimacing:

3 Likes

:grimacing:

3 Likes

I did read your post before, and I do remember some sort of witch organization thing coming up - I just don’t remember that there was an official name for it. And here I though you were linking proof. :joy::stuck_out_tongue:

I might have to actually go back and check at some point. xD

But since you and Naphtalene have both been saying it, you’re probably right. I do forget names irl too. :joy:

3 Likes

That actually was my initial intent but I got lazy :joy:

3 Likes

Oh man, that’s me every time I think about it. I am gonna check back at some point, just… not today. :joy:

3 Likes

you are truly slothful

4 Likes

Oh yeah, I think I also remember that it’s them who attacked Ram/Rem’s village and because of them that Ram lost her horn right?

4 Likes

Yes that’s right. And it’s why Rem was overly suspicious of Subaru, because of the witch’s smell, she knows it very well from that time (it seems only Beatrice and Rem can detect it though, for some reason).

4 Likes

I’m guessing it’s magical in nature, so regular people can’t realize it. Plus, you probably won’t recognize it if you haven’t smelled it before in context. I don’t think a perfume called Eau de Witch would be popular enough for that knowledge to be widespread. That being said, I’m pretty sure Emilia (or at least Puck) and Roswald should realize what the smell is. So they probably have their own reason to just ignore it. (Well Emilia is probably just going for the “don’t assume anything about people” angle).

4 Likes

I was thinking of the same thing. It could be magic in nature and Rosewald could have not said anything. The smell only happen when he return by death so the other probably couldn’t have smelled it. The Emilia is the only thing I don’t know why. She probably know the witch smell. Either by cultist or because they are maybe linked in a way. Puck also did not seem to notice. He can read heart so maybe he ignored it.

Nerxt week is up

3 Likes

Most of the smell happens when he tries to say something about his situation and gets punished. That’s how he keeps attracting the demon dog things (and bloodcrazed Rem) in volume 3. Since he gets randomly punished once in a while, you would assume people would notice if they could, the same way Betty after the first time he got punished.

3 Likes