Little Nightmares Episode 1 Discussion

どうも、皆さん、おはこんばんにちは!

This week we’ll be watching the first episode of 弟者 playing Little Nightmares!

Little Nightmares Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Watching Tips

• You can click the three dots to the far right of the like button and select “Open Transcript”. That will show the entire script and allow you to click on a line to replay that section of the video!
  • You can slow down the video if that helps you understand the speech better.
  • If you can download the video and subtitles, you can put them into Voracious and even more easily repeat sections, create flash cards etc.

Discussion Rules

• When posting a question, include the time in the video. You can also link directly to the appropriate section.
  • Consider using spoiler tags for game events that people might want to experience firsthand
11 Likes

As our host, I’ll start us off!

毎週金曜、夜19:30開場、20:00ゲームスタート弟ライブ
Understanding spoken numbers is for some reason still what’s the most difficult for me! There’s no way I’d get this on the first listen!

追加コンテンツをチェック中
Gaming lingo makes an appearance: 追加コンテンツ = DLC :slight_smile:

完全にこのシーンだとわたくし、「ルパン三世カリオストロの城」で、銭形さんが下に落ちちゃってね、ずっとこう、洞窟みたいなところをこれで、さまよっているっていう。
I did not get this on the first listen. Just pointing that out!

Also, I still find it cute how even fictional characters get the 〜さん treatment. (Though on the other hand he did refer to a wooden box as 木箱さん in his Limbo let’s play so…)

And I think it’s a bit interesting how he switches between わたし, わたくし and おれ.

オイルが切れないうちにどんどん行くか
Am I right in interpreting this as him thinking (or pretending that the character is thinking) that the lighter is going to run out of fuel eventually?

4 Likes

Wheee, I’m excited to start! I’m not really sure what kinds of questions I’ll have, given that I feel like I’ll either understand (hear) what he’s saying or not :sweat_smile: but will be fun to chat about the video either way.

Edit: I actually found that watching at 0.75x gave some weird auditory artefacts, so I’m forging ahead at normal speed after all. by “forging ahead” I mean “stopping and starting continuously”

2 Likes

I thought it was more like the opposite, actually: commenting on the fact that the oil (seemingly) never runs out? Like “so can my never-running-out-of-oil self keep going continuously?”

I was so confused when he was like “L2 ボタン” and then I remembered I was watching someone play a game :sweat_smile: fun to hear 右スティック too :grin:

1 Like

新しい健康方とかそういう感じかな
What does 健康方 mean here?

I think he does think that, thus saying “Should we go on before the lighter runs out of fuel?” (does it not? seems like a reasonable assumption to think that it might)
〜ないうちに: before something happens

1 Like

Ooooh, why do I always assume うち means “me” :confounded:

I second your question about hygiene :sweat_smile:

I understand all of the words in this long sentence, but could somebody parse it out for me? :bowing_man: (7:42)

3 Likes

I’ll try my parse

7:42

開けるというより: I am not sure if this is the potential of 開く or just 開ける. If it’s the potential, I would have said that this means something like “Rather than (the fingerprints) indicating that you can open this/this can open”
If it’s not the potential, I am not sure how to parse it. So I’ll just leave it at that

どちらかというと: “if anything, if I had to say”
誰かに連れ去られそうになって: “(someone) got almost kidnapped by someone”
ここで: “and here”
最期の抵抗をしているように見える: “resisted at last, it looks like”

“Rather than the fingerprints indicating that you can open this, it rather looks like someone was almost kidnapped and held onto this door at the last minute”

2 Likes

I take it to mean “health method”, i.e. exercise or similar. Referring to the guy doing… I dunno chinups or something? Totally not having hanged himself at any rate.

It does not.

#supersecret!

1 Like

That’s good to know! :grin:

1 Like

I got more of a “made their last resistance” vibe. Like, it probably didn’t go too well for them.

I didn’t really know what to make of it, but that seems to make the most sense IMO as well.

1 Like

Well @crihak beat me to it, but 弟者 is indeed saying that it’s probably a new method to stay fit. That guy is obviously practicing some deadhangs :crazy_face: (that’s an actual exercise name)

1 Like

Quite appropriate!

1 Like

Fair enough! I didn’t find the right words to express that in English, and then I wasn’t sure anymore what to make of it :smiley:

2 Likes

Also 23:21

By the way, I totally thought we were in some kind of underground complex until the chains in the middle of the episode, where 弟者 noted we might be on a boat, and then it made complete sense.

Also (end-ish of the episode) I kinda wish he had woken up the babys to see what happens :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

He did mention it at 5:42 as well.

Yeah, I was thinking of that as well! Although I thought he called it 先輩 :slight_smile: (He does like to call a lot of things 先輩 as well)

1 Like

Also just as an aside, I like his

っは、夢か

Every time he dies and respawns :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Aaah, thank you so much :blush: it was mostly the first half that was confusing me (and how it tied into the second).

I was wondering at first whether he’d actually noticed, after he was just like, “huh, huge shoes!” :sweat_smile:

Yeah, I really like that - makes me snigger ^^

One of my favourite parts was 俺天才かな

4 Likes

This (frankly hilarious) さらばだ! - is that farewell plus だ? At first I thought it was like some Japanese abracadabra or open sesame or something :sweat_smile:

Just, seriously, that change in tone from “あああああ 怖ぇ!” to “OK! スイッチON!” cracked. me. up.

I wish another beginner was also watching…

2 Likes

Yeah, I assume so. I didn’t know さらばだ wasn’t a word in itself :sweat_smile:

He’s got both a great voice and an enjoyable showman personality :slight_smile:

Hopefully the others will show up as well. They do have a week after all :wink:

3 Likes