Listening Practice 🎧 What do you listen to for Japanese practice?

I wanted to bring some life back to this thread by posting a link to this super interesting documentary about Hiroshi Kamiya! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Even if you’re not a personal fan of him, it’s great listening practice! ^>^

NHK documentary about seiyuu Hiroshi Kamiya ^>^

1 Like

Love Kiryu Coco. Really too bad about what happened at the end… she didn’t deserve to be harassed like that.

3 Likes

Ooops! This thread hasn’t seen much action as of late. I guess, what few posts I made ended up in the Seiyuu Appreciation thread or the Extensive Listening Challenge thread. :sweat_smile:

I’m thinking of buying some new drama CDs at the moment, as a birthday present for myself. Can’t decide on which series though. They’re a bit costly, so wanna make the most of the purchase. Might even go for something mainstream this time. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Late to the party and replying to a +2 year old post, but Coten Radio is a great source for listening practice. Conversational japanese spoken at a natural pace, just what i was looking for! Also, they’re on Spotify now as well.

Thanks for the recommendation @IgorTheGreat

1 Like

Here’s a fabulous compilation of podcasts you might wanna give a try! :high_touch: :headphones:

3 Likes

I have now created a WIKI of the OP post, where people are encouraged to add Listening Practice Resources. Let’s help each other out when it comes to finding good interesting listening practice options! :high_touch:

3 Likes

I suppose that the autocorrection feature turned anime into animals in the original post. :wink:

2 Likes

I have recently discovered sakuratips.com (thanks to the tofugu overview), which has podcasts with Japanese scripts. She is speaking relatively slowly, but it sounds more natural than NHK’s easy news.

2 Likes

Not really. I just figured that we don’t really need an anime category on here, with the General Anime Thread existing. There is already so much discussion on anime shows on WK that it’s probably best to just leave it off in this case. I just feel it can derail the purpose of this resource list.

1 Like

okay, but how do animals improve your listening to Japanese? Do Japanese dogs bark differently?

Surely you know there exist a lot of pet videos featuring cute cats and their owners talking? :eyes: or it could be help videos for pet owners in Japanese. Just use your imagination.

1 Like

@ekg
Actually dogs do bark differently in many languages:

• Japanese: ワンワン
  • English: bow wow
  • German: wau wau
  • French: woof woof
  • Italian: bau bau

see an extensive list here

3 Likes

:rofl:

How could I forget!

So, I like watching street food and cooking videos. Not cooking shows, but just footage of the kitchen as ordinary working people make food in their restaurant, food truck/stand and so on.

Today I found something of a listening challenge! This old man speaks a nearly incomprehensible Japanese dialect.

I can’t tell which dialect this is, though I do recognize one of the speech-patterns from a seiyuu I’ve heard talking in normal conversation (the “ずらあーっと” expression). That was Wataru Hatano, who is from Nagano. But this restaurant is located in Osaka. Not sure if that’s the dialect here (since people do move from one place to another). Also, maybe there are dialects with similarities. :thinking: I’d love if anyone could identify this guy’s dialect. :slight_smile:

I’d also love if someone could help me figure out what he’s saying! :sweat_smile:

Sidenote: I created a "Dialects and slang category" so people can add listening practice resources in the wiki in the OP post. :)
5 Likes

Like, everything? :sweat_smile: C’mon, put in a little effort :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: What did you get and what not?

I only listened to his very first sentences, and I wouldn’t say I understand everything, but I can sort of inuit between the lines :sweat_smile: In the beginning he’s saying something along the lines of that it will be crammed full (満員ぐらい) because today is Saturday. And waves his hand to show where everybody will be sitting.
Does this help already?
also, not really sure if this is really a dialect or whether he just mumbles a lot :thinking:

4 Likes

I certainly didn’t get that part. I’ve tried relistening a bit, but I still just catch random words here and there. :sweat_smile: Much thank for the help! :bowing_man:

I’m also thinking he’s a mumbler, but maybe, I think, he also stutters a bit? Still, he’s also clearly speaking in a specific dialect as well.

I’ll give it a few more relistens. But, yeah, as much as I know he’s going to be talking about his restaurant and stuff, I can’t really parse it. XD

2 Likes

That was kinda my feeling too…

PS: the speech is all in the first 5 minutes, I think, the rest is just video of the cooking…

2 Likes

Yeah, for sure. This isn’t a talk video as such, just him making various comments. :slight_smile:

Does anyone have an idea as to the dialect? Is this Osaka dialect? Or actually Nagano dialect? Or something else? :thinking:

2 Likes

I really do think it’s just that he’s super mumbly (there are several youtube comments saying they couldn’t understand what he’s saying). The bit at 3:45 or so is definitely です/ます form, even. Hopefully somebody with better ears will be along soon, though…

4 Likes

OK, then let me give it another shot ^^

I gave my impression on the first sentences already. Now I understood that it will get crowded from 7pm.

Then he said that he slept 7 hours and got up at 2 or 3 pm.

That it takes several days to make Gyoza.

And that he would squeeze something (?) and also vegetables, and they get mixed? And that’s why it takes so long. And the other person started at 10:30.

Then he lets out a very long sentence and I don’t understand anything :sweat_smile:
But then he continues understandably again: Previously they did not have noodles, but then they wrapped noodle dough around it.

That’s roughly my understanding of the first 5 minutes :sweat_smile: There are probably lots of gaps and errors in it, so please add at least as much salt as the cook in the video :grin:

4 Likes