Listening Practice 🎧 What do you listen to for Japanese practice?

You’re my savoir! You made out so much more than me! :astonished: I mostly got his talk about how me makes the filling for the gyoza, mostly since I know about how it’s done. You mix veggies and mince. But why it would take several days is still strange to me. :sweat_smile: It never does for anyone else. Hours yes, but days?

Maybe he’s actually first talking about the big pot boiling away with the meat, creating a stock? :thinking: that could indeed take a day to make, reducing that down. And yeah, sifting it out using a fine cloth to get all the impurities. They do this with ordinary ramen stock as well, and there is indeed squeezing involved then. :thinking:

With your rough map of what he said, I’m giving it another go today. With a fresh brain and ears! :grin:

Much thanks again!

tenor-3

4 Likes

Yes, this is very hard to get. Just before he mentioned the use of noodles in the filling, there’s some more dialectal phrases for sure. Maybe Osaka-ben? It’s a unique drawl. But, yeah, no matter how many times i try to relisten. I just can’t parse it. :face_holding_back_tears: But, I think a customer made the suggestion to add the noodles, and so that’s the route they took. :slight_smile: He might be mentioning something about cooked rice “gohan” before that??

2 Likes

Oh yea that’s a good call, I thought he talked about the wrapping :sweat_smile: He said かける which can mean so much, but adding noodles to the filling would indeed make more sense.

That’s very well possible, I thought he had said something about who came up with this, but I was too lazy to listen more than once or twice, so I didn’t catch that fully.

Haven’t noticed that, but that doesn’t mean anything of course :grin:

2 Likes

Not sure if it was mentioned already, I searched for some of the URLs in this thread, but nothing showed up, so…

ちーにゃチャンネル on YT has a fun short (5-10min) video series (100+) called パンダ家族の日常
It’s made in the Animal Crossing game (though I always wonder how they make the villagers do what they want like that, but I haven’t really played New Horizons)

Quite easy, every day language. Some of the higher pitched voices can get a bit annoying though.

2 Likes

Comedy is one of the hardest points to learn in any language. So, I’ve heard. And I can’t disagree.

I was again looking for some nice relaxing cooking, but found this inexplicable gem of a restaurant that lets comedians do part-time work to allow them to launch their career! :astonished: So, there’s the main chef and then different comedians do the assistant chef tasks.

In any case, there’s plenty of casual conversation to practice some listening comprehension and if you understand the jokes! :eyes:

1 Like

@ekg requested that I post some Japanese language content related to 大工(だいく) (carpentry).

I will update the top post as I think of good resources that are particularly good for listening practice.

Probably the most regularly updated content I can think of is this guy’s channel:

My only concern is that he edits all of his videos to remove all of the natural speaking pauses (uhms and errs). What’s left is reasonably well enunciated, and the content is excellent, but it’s quite dense and moves at a very fast clip.

Japanese beginners like myself will want to keep their fingers over the pause button. And there is no shame in slowing it down to 3/4 speed.

Note that 大工(だいく) has a fair bit of specialized vocabulary. For one, Japanese carpenters use slopes (勾配(こうばい)) rather than angles (a rise over a run, rather than degrees). They call the three sides of a right triangle the (こう) (the rise), () (the run), and (げん) the “mystery cord” that connects them. (I’m attempting to maintain my own list of specialized terms on kitsun.)

As an example, here’s his latest post in a fascinating series explaining in detail how to create a model showing off traditional Japanese roof joinery:

(I plan to eventually follow that series from beginning to end and write about my experience in English on my own blog.)

3 Likes

Sad to hear it’s not just retakes he does. I feel like, it might be a teaching tool for how - unnatural but still legible language is used perhaps! :eyes: If you add it to the Wiki, make sure it’s an exercise of sorts in how to understand strangely edited Japanese. Make it clear to anyone clicking the link what they’ll get and it’s a resource to me.

If more complex listening exercises appears, it might be tempting to make it’s own subheading and similar headlines are an assumed general listening advise.

1 Like

I think this is getting more common with YouTube videos in general. He just seems a little gung-ho about it.

People want shorter content. Content creators get dinged for speaking slowly and clearly (making their videos longer).

I’ll make a note, but it’s not THAT hard to understand. He just removes pretty much every gap between separate thoughts. If you are still trying to parse what he just said, you’ll miss the next thing he’s onto…

3 Likes

I guess, it just makes more sense for anyone wanting a challenge! XD

Thanks for adding it to the Wiki! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been consistently watching Terrace House for about 5 months (only time for a couple of episodes on a weekend) because I love it! I think the key is compelling interesting and comprehensible inputs. You have to enjoy what you’re watching/listening to.

I find Terrace House talks alot about basic everyday things like food, small chat, weather etc which is accessible if you know your basic grammar.

I also enjoy old enough every now and then!

Edited to add

• Terrace House is a series on Netflix. It’s a cross between the Aussie show ‘Big Brother’ and ‘Goggle Box’ to me. Three girls and three boys aged between 20-30 get put in the house in the hope some will develop a relationship. The hosts are very entertaining because they pay out the kids in the house!

• Old Enough are quick 15 minute shows about toddlers (2-5yrs old) get sent on their first errands by themselves. Very cute!!

5 Likes

I’ll add it to the wiki, if you already didn’t, but please add any note you wanna make about the series in short terms! Thanks for sharing the tip! <3

1 Like

God, I can’t stand this kind of editing in any language :sweat_smile: You should really practice speaking a bit more if you can’t utter two words without having to take a cut. Incredibly jarring to watch.

And I’m saying this as a person who regularly puts videos\podcasts on 1,5-2x and uses smart speed on podcasts to remove silence.

Today I stumbled upon this great basic Japanese vid, that puts extra emphasis on pronunciation of common phrases and common mistakes in pronunciation. It’s not listening, but speaking skills, but that is close enough for this thread I felt. XD

I’ll be checking out more of these guys’ vids for sure. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

New cooking channel I found. I really like listening to her talk you through these recipes! ^>^

Another channel I found focus on healthy stuff, if that’s your thing.

4 Likes

I just noticed the TabiEats guys are back with another basic language lesson. This one is about useful phrases for visiting restaurants and food vendors in Japan.

While not being listening practice, but language production, I think these two things go hand in hand. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, I found this great Vlog showing the life in the Japanese country side, a truly rural lifestyle that most don’t have, but I guess still exists. ^>^

Gorgeous scenery and views. Great listening practice of natural speech. :slight_smile:

(link to the channel is in the Wiki now under the subheading “Everyday life in Japan”. Hopefully more people will add Vlogs like this one, but of city life etc. )

Also, it’s got Japanese subtitles, for those that prefer that! ^>^

3 Likes

For those that wants to find some podcasts for their level, I think these two Tofugu articles are a great starting point! :high_touch: :headphones:

Anyone on here that’s tried some of the podcasts mentioned here? I’d love to hear some opinions about them. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve been listening to back-episodes of 4989 American Life Podcast and I’d agree it’s really good for the Upper Intermediate Level.

Having lived in Japan I will attest that the podcast creator definitely speaks at a normal speed of a native Japanese speaker when creating content for other native speakers. The speed and also vocabulary level perfectly fits what I was looking for in order to get listening practice while out for a walk or while driving – something to listen to in Japanese where I can understand pretty much all of it without having to pause and look up words, but where I’m still getting exposed to vocabulary and phrases I might not hear often in anime or movies or more scripted settings.

I’m American so the topics are interesting to me a lot of the time since she focuses a lot on differences between life in the US and in Japan and a lot of them are things I’ve never thought about, like the relative quality of cling-wrap.

She also publishes transcripts on her website, so if I ever do have trouble with understanding a particular episode I can look that up.

I also tried Japanese with Teppei and Noriko but they spend a good amount of time just chatting with each other about stuff like “what did you do last week?” at least in the episodes I tried, and also it didn’t work well for me as a “listen while doing something else” thing because whenever they were speaking about a topic I was interested in they would use vocabulary I was unfamiliar with.

5 Likes

Thanks for that review! That podcast sounds really worth to check out, also for non-Americans, if you just enjoy talk about cultural comparisons, which in the end help us understand Japanese culture. :slight_smile:

I’ll add it to the wiki for easier navigation to it. ^>^ :+1:

I found a couple old threads here on WK with some links to listening practice resources. Some links were dead, but in one case a new site had been created. :+1: In the end, I added a couple of Japanese radio channels, but also other stuff to the wiki. That included making the decision to post the previous discussion clubs to two Japanese movies, even though those threads are closed.

Remember folks: if you want a thread re-opened, you only have to ask the Mods to do so, by @-ing them properly and making the suggestion.

So do check the subheadings you’re mostly interested in, and if something has been added that you might enjoy for listening practice! :high_touch:

2 Likes