I’ve been working on this beast for over a year. It’s voice control for Google Chrome and I’ve added a WaniKani plugin for it. So now you can dictate your reviews. It’s especially helpful for those with disabilities that affect their typing.
Update - As of 12/30/2018 the WaniKani plugin alone has essentially become a full time gig for me. The WaniKani features of this extension are in the “plus” version only to support it’s continued development. A version in the future may have just WK lessons free but reviews will remain in a payed version.
Here’s a video guide:
Just a small part of the new features:
Works decently for testing your accent, too. Those ふ, る, and く’s can be really challenging for native English speakers especially!
Install the extension
(optional) install the lightning mode user script so you don’t have to say “next” or “次” all the time.
Do the tutorial for LipSurf
Go to the options and choose your primary English dialect (Australia, UK… etc.)
Make sure LipSurf is activated (click to toggle it on/off from the chrome extension toolbar, or just say the wake-word “grasshopper” if you have Pro and the wakeword activated)
Say “crocodile crab” or “wanikani” WHILE YOU ARE NOT ON A SPECIAL
chrome://...page… IMPORTANT: you must be on a normal tab, like
google.comor a LipSurf tab (options, tutorial etc.). This is a google-chrome extension API shortcoming.
Speak your reviews in the appropriate language (Japanese for readings, otherwise some dialect of English)
- Only the correct answer will get filled in… to prevent speech recognizer mis-hearings
- Say “wrong” or “だめ” when you don’t know the answer (you have to manually mark any wrong answers)
- (NEW in v1.8) click the live text (transcript) to make a correction or a custom synonym.
- After 3 wrong answers (3 speech utterances) you will see the answer in the textbox, at this point you can decide whether you were right or wrong and say the appropriate command.
- Say “correct” or “正しい” to manually mark a work as correct, if the speech recognizer is having trouble
- (NEW in v0.5) say “えいご” to switch to English if in Japanese/reading mode and then you can spell out kana as you would on the keyboard. (eg. for しょうがつ just say s-h-o-u-g-a-t-s-u) and the answer will be inputted only if it’s correct. Super helpful for the short one-syllable kanji that recognition has trouble with, especially.
- Say “info” or “じょうほう” to simulate clicking the info button for the current item
- You can also spell out English words for meaning items
Consider supporting the project! I really need support to keep the thing maintained and improving. I would also super appreciate reviews in the chrome webstore, if you can’t back the project in any other way but you think it’s cool.
Here’s the site that has more details:
Most recent update: 4/5/2019 – v1.14.0 Contexts for wanikani, and performance improvements!
See more details and past updates here: https://www.lipsurf.com/updates/