Kaniwani Major Update: 1.3.4!

Thank you (and Taddy) for taking the time to switch over to V2 :pray:t2:

3 Likes

Hello there. There are some words that already deleted from WK.
For example 大いに.
And I guess content doesn’t update follwing changes made in WK?

It doesn’t hurt to learn the deleted words, does it?

It helps you remember them better when they’re gone! :wink:

This tool is simply fantastic. Many thanks to the developers for creating this!

1 Like

Inconsistent darkmode.

Works for Chrome/Andriod, but not for Chrome/Win10 or Chrome/iOS.

Suggestions?

Hi! Just wanted to mention that a LipSurf user has made a prototype plugin to use LipSurf with KaniWani. What does this mean?

• improve your recall by activating a different part of your brain
  • get comfortable speaking Japanese faster
  • use KaniWani hands-free

If you have feedback, we would love to see it on the LipSurf forum post (in step 2 below) so we don’t hijack this thread. See these two posts on how to get started right away:

1. Install LipSurf:
    LipSurf - WaniKani Voice Dictation. Review while you eat, do chores, etc
  2. Install the community KaniWani plugin:
    :tada: New Bunpro and Kitsun.io plugins now available! - Official - LipSurf
1 Like

Hi. Thank you for this app.

I have a question / problem: sometimes I don’t remember a word. I need to be able to see the answer, study it for a moment, then mark the question as not answered and move on. But I cannot find a way to do it!

I tried typing the shortcuts (K, etc) into the answer bar, but it doesn’t work. I’m on mobile, so I don’t have other ways to input shortcuts.

Is there a button that I’m not seeing, that I can use to reveal the answer? Right now I need to look it up in the dictionary, trying to remember which word had a certain definition in wanikani.

Edit: I’ll be damned! You need to click on the tiny “INFO LOW” rectangle!? I would have never guessed such a thing was a button. And then, I suppose, click on the X if it was a typing mistake, but on the right arrow if it was a real mistake?

The other app, Jakeipuu, has the same kind of confusing interface. I wonder why? Maybe I’m just too old to find modern interfaces intuitive at all.

I think I just found a bug, because I don’t have any lessons available, despite being level 7 in wk and resetting my progress back to the start at kaniwani. I refreshed the page and put a new key but it didn’t fix anything

Try heading to the Vocabulary page on KW and unlocking any levels you wish to study - you may have locked them all via your reset.
Toggle Follow WaniKani to on in Settings to keep unlocking new items you unlock in WK.

1 Like

I have a question about KaniWani and I didn’t know where to post it, so I hope you don’t mind.

I just started using KW and had to set up an API token. I wasn’t sure what options I was supposed to pick, if any, when I did that… so I left them all unchecked. It seems to be working, but is that the correct way to generate the token?

よろしくお願いします!

This is how I did it and it worked fine for me. I guess you did it right.

1 Like

Hello users of Kaniwani! My apologies for dropping off the face of the earth.

As of this today, a new update has gone out to Kaniwani. It contains a few things:

• Fix for similar words, e.g. mom,mother,mama. If words are extremely similar, correct answers are now set to interchangeable between them. Note this is a manual process of merging, so if you find 2 words that are identical that are tripping you up, shoot me an email and I’ll see if they are candidates. So far mother,father,young girl are all the ones I’ve merged. I’ll be going through my (many) emails to find more, but please feel free to email me via the website to submit things you think are identical.
  • Resetting to a given level which reset everything above that level, not everything above and including that level. Thanks to Travis-Taylor for the contribution.
  • Expanded vocabulary search bar to include user meaning synonyms. Thanks to Travis-Taylor for the contribution.
12 Likes

Hi @Tadgh11 or @Subversity , maybe you can respond to this:

2 Likes

Bug
I am using the latest version of Microsoft Edge (Chromium based) on Windows.
I am having an issue when doing lessons where getting an item incorrect doesn’t show anything in the info box.
If I get it incorrect infobox is empty, but INFO: High is set. If I press spacebar, it toggles through low/medium/high, but still stays empty.

I need to click the infobox button with my mouse, and then it is shown, and spacebar to cycle does work correctly.

1 Like

Hey @Dabi do you have this setting toggled on in the Settings page?

You can also hit f to open the info box.
To be fair, I should probably force open the box if you try to toggle the info level when it’s closed.

Check that setting though, by default it’s closed when incorrect so you can think of what the right answer might have been rather than see it immediately.

Hi! I thought I put KaniWani on Vacation Mode, but actually, I didn’t… I now have a scary pile of reviews.

Is there any way to reset the Reviews without compromising my progress? Not sure if Reset Kaniwani Progress would address this issue…

1 Like

Hey there. If you didn’t go on vacation there’s not much we can do.
Personally I’d just slowly work at getting the review pile down.

To make it easier you could lock some levels in the vocabulary section, which will reduce your review load - and then unlock levels one at a time as you have more work capacity.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer. I’ve started reviewing my pile little by little. Hopefully, I should be back on track in the next few days!

Is it possible to update my KaniWani username to my current one on WaniKani? My account still lists the old username, and I couldn’t find a way to update it.

Just found out the existence of this API !
Thank you for the work on it. Will help a lot. :smile: