Level-up emails

Level-up emails

Wanikani recently added a new feature: sending a congratulatory email from Koichi each time you level up. The emails are fun and motivational, so people have started wondering what’s in the emails for levels they’ve already passed.

The intent of this thread is to serve as a repository for these emails, so people can see what they’ve missed on lower levels.

Adding missing levels

We have all the levels now. Thanks, everybody!!

Warning: Don’t peek at anything higher than your current level! You’ll miss the fun of experiencing them as you level up.

Level 1

1st email

Why do I need to wait for reviews?

こんにちは、 {username}!

We’re going to get you to 2,000 kanji.

But, it’s not going to happen overnight.

The first step is to do your lessons. These lessons will just be “radicals,” which are like the building blocks of kanji. You’re going to use these to create mnemonics that will allow you to learn a kanji’s meaning and reading(s) much more quickly (in the medium-to-long run).

Once you’ve done your Lessons, these items will be transferred to your Reviews pile. Here is where we make you wait, on purpose. I wanted to tell you this because the most common email we get goes something like: “Hey, why are you making me wait? I quit.”

The waiting is SO important, though. WaniKani’s reviews are a type of spaced repetition system (SRS). The idea is that you make the largest improvement in memory if you recall something right as you’re about to forget it. An SRS helps you to automate that. It makes your reviews as efficient as possible. When you don’t know an item well, the wait between reviews is much shorter. When you do know an item well, the wait times will get longer and longer. The better you know something, the longer you have to wait before the next review.

Because you’re just starting out, WaniKani has to assume that you don’t know anything. Because there are so few items initially, it will feel slow at first. But, as long as you do your reviews when they are available, you’ll be unlocking kanji within a couple of days. Then a couple days after that you’ll unlock vocabulary and hit Level 2 (the first couple levels are a little accelerated). If you can be patient and make it through Level 3 (the last free level), you’ll have a pretty good idea of what you can expect. You’ll also have learned approximately a year’s worth of classroom Japanese kanji learning, all in less than a month. And, we’ll send you an email offering to send you stickers, because, that’s a pretty cool achievement.

While you wait for your next available reviews, I highly recommend that you check out the WaniKani Guide. It goes into a lot of detail about why things are so different here. The WaniKani forums are also an unexpectedly fun place to hang out. Also, if you don’t know hiragana and katakana yet, you should get going on that. You’ll need it once you start unlocking kanji in a couple days. We’ve put together a system that can get you ready to go, really fast.

So, let’s work hard!

If you have any questions or troubles, don’t hesitate to email us. You can just reply to this email, and someone will help you out.

:heart:,
Koichi & the WaniKani Team

2nd email

Ready for kanji?

こんにちは again, {username},

As long as you’ve completed your initial Lessons, and have been doing your Reviews, you’re well on your way to unlocking kanji. With radicals, we only ask for its English name. So, even if you can’t read hiragana or katakana yet, it’s no problem. But, once you unlock kanji, you’ll need to be able to read (especially) hiragana (slowly is okay). And, you’ll need to know how to type it, too.

When WaniKani asks you to tell it a kanji’s meaning , it just wants the English meaning. For example, when you see 大, you would type in “big.”

But, when it asks for a kanji’s reading , it wants you to type in the Japanese. So, for 大’s reading you would need to type in だい. This will require you to understand some of the basics of typing in Japanese. Don’t worry, it’s not too hard. And, WaniKani uses a built in IME (which converts things you type into hiragana) to make it even easier.

For example, if you needed to type in だい, you would just write “dai,” and it will change automatically. Or if you typed in “sushi” it would change to すし automatically. Pretty cool, right? There are some weird things, like combination kana and the small tsu, and for that I would recommend this guide on the basics of typing in Japanese. Do that after you learn how to read hiragana so you’re ready for kanji.

If you already know how to read and type hiragana/katakana, then you have nothing to worry about.

Good luck, and let us know if we can help with any of this!

3rd email

Everything okay?

Hi {username},

Just wanted to check in to make sure everything is good. Need any help with WaniKani things? Questions? Concerns? Confusions? You can just reply to this email if you want.

Also the FAQ, Guide, and Forums have a ton of info, too, but it’s nice to be able to talk to a human, sometimes.

Tell me what I can do to help!

Koichi

Level 2

Level 2! (The Crabigator is Proud of You, {username})

Whoa, {username}, you finished Level 1! Nice!

I talked with the Crabigator about it, and it is very pleased with your progress. Time for more radicals, kanji, vocabulary, and (most importantly), more reviews and less waiting. WaniKani is totally free until you hit Level 4, and even if you stop there you’ll get to around 75 kanji and 200+ vocabulary words. That’s more than most Japanese classes teach in a year (seriously).

And don’t forget - if you ever run into any trouble, or get confused about anything, just shoot us an email. Reply to this email if you want. Otherwise, just keep doing what you’re doing, {username}. Seems like it’s working well. I’ll be in touch again when you hit Level 3 to see if you like stickers.

Level 3

こんにちは, {username}!

You did it! You’re Level 3!

unnamed%20(2)

You want some WaniKani stickers, or what? You deserve it. Just tell us where we should send it (please double check your address, we want them to arrive!).

And hey, keep up the good work. You’re doing awesome.

I’ll check back in when you hit Level 4 with some statistics about the things you’ve learned, and what you’ll be able to do with it.

Until then…

:heart:

Level 4

First email
こんにちは {username},

unnamed%20(1)

You’ve made it to Level 4! That’s a monumental achievement. You pretty much just finished a year’s worth of kanji and vocabulary in most beginner Japanese classes.

Unfortunately, this is the time when WaniKani becomes a service that costs money. To continue, you’ll need to subscribe. The costs break down to:

• $9/month
  • $89/year (save $19 a year compared to monthly)
  • $299/forever (save or lose money, depending on how fast you go!)

I hope now that you’re at Level 4 you have a good idea of whether or not WaniKani is worth it for you. I hope you can see how (relatively) fast learning kanji can be, no longer the hardest thing about Japanese.

Let me know if there’s anything we can answer or help with. If not, here’s a big subscribe button for you. Once you do it, you should start seeing your Level 4 Lessons will start appearing.

Love,
Koichi

Second Email

Hiya {username}!

unnamed%20(1)

You did it! You finished the first three levels of WaniKani.

That may not seem like a lot, but that’s already a year’s worth of kanji and vocabulary when it comes to a regular Japanese classroom. So, pat yourself on the back and then get back to your Lessons and Reviews. A bunch of them will appear for Level 4!

It’s going to start getting harder now. Make sure you do your reviews every day and you’ll get through it. Don’t feel bad if you have to slow down your Lessons a little bit. Think realistically about how many reviews you can do a day and adjust accordingly.

Keep up the good work, see you on Level 5!

Love,
Koichi

Level 5

Hi {username}

You made it to Level 5! !:confetti_ball:

This is the level where you really start to get into more useful words. On WaniKani, you see fewer “useful” words early on because you’re learning the kanji that is simplest in form, not meaning. We do it this way because the form of the kanji is the thing that’s hard for non-Japanese people, not the meanings behind them. You’re not a child (I’m guessing), so meanings shouldn’t give you that much trouble.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy Levels 5-10. Vocabulary gets more useful and I think that’s really fun. But, do you remember how slow the first few levels felt? We called it the “slow zone.” Now you’re moving into an opposite place. Things will speed up before leveling out again. Keep up with your reviews and you’ll be fine. Feel free to reach out if things get hard, too, and we can give you some pointers.

unnamed

Love,
Koichi

Level 6

Hi {username}

You made it to Level 6!

Have you noticed that things are starting to get harder? That’s because you’re getting more reviews to do. Do you know how to control that? Just do fewer (or more) lessons to slow things down… or speed things up, if you want to be hard on yourself.

People tend to have the most trouble between levels 6-10. But, if you control your Lessons and do your reviews every day, you’ll get through it. Just prioritize the time for your reviews (I know, I know, that’s the hardest part!). Keep working hard, I promise that when you get onto the other side of Level 10, things will begin to ease up. That’s about when you start burning things. That means some items will leave your review pile.

Keep it up.

Love,
Koichi

Level 7

Hi {username}

Yay! You made it to Level 7! ![:confetti_ball:]

Oh no. You made it to Level 7.

Level 7 reminds me of that scene from Yojimbo where the nameless samurai ronin, played by Toshiro Mifune, is walking down a much larger group of thugs.

The thugs are your reviews and you’re the Yojimbo. Do you know how he was able to succeed? Well, I should let you watch the movie (it’s really, really good!). But, basically he worked hard and persevered through a ton of pain.

In a way, that’s how you get through Level 7. Feel free to be methodical about it and slow down if you need to, but now’s the time to embrace the difficulty. Be like the nameless samurai and cut your reviews down one at a time with an almost businesslike attitude (and maybe go watch the movie after).

If you run into trouble, you can always call in reinforcements, though. That is, email us and we’ll help you out.

Love,
Koichi

Level 8

Hi username

Welcome to Level 8.

How’re the hard levels going? Are you making like the nameless samurai and cutting down reviews?

I don’t have much to say except “keep up the great work.” If you need any help, you know where to find me.

Love,
Koichi

Level 9

Hi username

You made it to Level 9? You made it to Level 9!

Probably the most important word you’ll learn in this level is 大事.

That’s just a little Level 10 joke. You’ll get it soon.

Love,
Koichi

Level 10

Hi (username)

You made it to Level 10!

mail

Hey, that’s pretty impressive, actually. It means you finished the hardest group of levels, which (for most people) is levels 5-9. If it didn’t happen earlier (it all depends on how you do your Lessons) Level 10 is about where things begin to even out. As in, you should be burning items and getting them out of your review queue. If you aren’t, you will soon. Everything. Will. Be. Okay.

Level 10 is also a really good time to start learning grammar. Pick up any beginner (and possibly intermediate) Japanese textbook. You’ll find yourself knowing how to read pretty much every kanji you come across. That’s a wonderful thing! It means you can focus on learning the grammar without having to look up every other kanji/vocab you see. The “hardest part of Japanese” has become… easy for you?

Anyways, if you haven’t yet, I’d recommend you start learning grammar now. It’s a good time to do it (in parallel with your kanji studies, of course).

Love,
Koichi

P.S. Hey, we’re seriously proud of you! Nicely done (username)

Level 11

Level 11: Welcome to “Painful” :sob:

Hi {username}

Did you know that every 10 levels on WaniKani has a category? Levels 1-10 are known as the “pleasant” levels. Do you know what Levels 11-20 are called?

“苦 Painful.”

But, no pain, no gain, you know? And you’ve gained a lot.

You know 98.73% of the JLPT N5 kanji and 75.9% of the JLPT N4 kanji. You know 88.75% of the kanji Japanese kids learn in second grade. Even more impressively, you can read 65.75% of the kanji on NHK News Web Easy, 54.96% of the kanji that shows up on Twitter, and 54.1% of the kanji on Japanese Wikipedia. And, you’re still only 10 levels in!

So, pain isn’t such a bad thing, right? It means you’re growing, learning, and gaining new opportunities. Keep up the good work, there’s more you’ll get to learn.

Level 11 is a fun one, too. Some words to look forward to learning:

気持ちいい: good feeling
電波: reception
味: taste
働く: to work
勝ち: victory

(and beyond!)

Love,
Koichi

Level 12

Hi {username}

You finished the first “苦 painful” level. That wasn’t so bad, right? You’re not descending into madness, or anything…

Anyways, I’m really looking forward to you learning the kanji in Level 12. 悪 (bad), 寒 (cold), and 歯 (tooth) are pretty good ones.

There’s some useful words, too. 飲み物 (beverage), 勝手 (as one pleases), 音読み (on’yomi, which is the reading you usually learn with the kanji), and 家族 (family), to name a few.

You know how to make it happen, too. Careful not to do too many Lessons, if Reviews are feeling heavy, though.

Love,
Koichi

Level 13

こんにちは <username>,

You made it to Level 13, the unluckiest level.

But, you’re learning Japanese, so really you don’t have to worry about Level 13. Just Level 4 (死), 9 (苦), and maybe 44. What I’m saying is, you’ve already seen the worst. Your studies should be evening out. It’s just a matter of you doing what you do.

Anyways, here’s your reward gif,<username>:

Nice job.

Love,
Koichi

Level 14

Welcome to Level 14, <username>hi!

A few kanji from this level are particularly noteworthy, though all of them are worth knowing, of course.

基 (foundation), which is how you’re learning kanji. Foundation first, then building upon it.

望 (hope). Something you’ll need to get through all this.

折 (fold). Finally you’ll be able to read that tsundoku of origami books.

Time for me to 消える!

You’ll get that once you move on to Level 15.

Get reviewing!

Love,
Koichi

Level 15

Welcome to Level 15, <username>!

giphy

You’re about half way through all the 苦 painful levels.

It probably feels like you have a 岩 (boulder) on your back, but you’ll get out of it if you 信 (believe). No matter how much you 泣 (cry), just keep your 勇 (courage) up. It’ll be 春 (spring) soon.

(↑ You’ll learn all those kanji and more by the end of this level)

Get reviewing!

Love,
Koichi

Level 16

Welcome to Level 16, <username>!

You may have learned 泣 in Level 15, but in Level 16 you’ll learn 笑 (laugh) and 幸 (happiness). You’ll also learn useful kanji like 書 (write), 辞 (quit), 危 (dangerous), and 急 (hurry). With kanji like these (as well as some useful vocab to look forward to), things are looking on the up and up.

Get started!

Love,
Koichi

Level 17

Hi <username>

You made it to Level 17!

You can look forward to kanji like 愛 (looooove), 恋 (romance), and 喜 (rejoice).

unnamed

You also finally learn the word for 👃.

Get to work!

Love,
Koichi

Level 18

Hi <username>

You made it to Level 18!

You can look forward to kanji like 脳 (brain), 禁 (prohibit), 洗 (wash), and shoot, what was the last one? I 忘 (forget).

Get to work!

Love,
Koichi

Level 19

Hi

You made it to Level 19! We’ll watch with bated breath as you head towards Level 20.

There’s some fun kanji in this level. 若 (young), 宇 (outer space), 忙 (busy), 舌 (tongue), and 減 (decrease) are some of my favorites.

Reading this email won’t help you to learn them, though. Get to work!

Love,
Koichi

Level 20

Hi (username)

Welcome to Level 20. Kind of a milestone, if I say so myself. It’s also the last level in the “苦 painful” category too. I wonder what’s next :thinking:

When you finish up Level 20, you’ll know quite a bit.

• 98.8% of the JLPT N4 kanji (as well as 100% of the JLPT N5 kanji).
  • 65.94% of the JLPT N3 kanji.
  • The amount of kanji a Japanese 3rd grader should know (and 70% of what a 4th grader should know).
  • 87.03% of the kanji on NHK Web Easy.
  • 76.92% of the kanji on the average Japanese Wikipedia articles.

Many people don’t realize this, but there’s a step after “burned” when it comes to your kanji / vocabulary, and that step is reading. At Level 20, you should be able to do that. It may not be pretty (yet), and it may still be difficult (depending on your grammar levels), but reading is what will get you to that next step. Even though it won’t be easy, it’ll take your Japanese to the next level.

Anyways, that’s all for now. Well done getting to Level 20. If all the WaniKani members were my children I’d definitely pick you as my favorite.

Let’s get to it!

5WHS67r5Cfx8sZTlNm1TcVEWtjlFzlFNpCkIGzoiY_pkwZ3yFd_5H2Q2Xmh9W_eggsfL8jSmpLlPzpXdtoy1R-Z-DNJzaMhr7ct7_BTDV0a6WbaumCJV8gLcMrlYwDExatzzvVSpi16-dl9T-jcSLH-rtKAssPmYbwE%3Ds0-d-e1-ft

Love,
Koichi

Level 21

Hi

Level 21. Out of the 苦 levels and into the 死 levels.

We figure if you’ve embraced your reviews this regularly for this long… you’re well on your way. Sometimes enlightenment takes a few rounds.

Kanji now will begin to get more and more specific. Still quite useful, but you’ve finished the most common stuff. It’s “everything else” that gets you to the end goal, though. It’s also what takes you from “good at Japanese” to “fluent in Japanese.” What I’m saying is: don’t give up now, the fun’s just started.

You can look forward to kanji like 敵 (enemy), 増 (increase), and 義 (righteousness)––which is one half of 正義 (justice).

I look forward to our time together in death.

Love,
Koichi

Level 22

Hi <username>

You’re one step closer to completing the 死 levels: Level 22!
unnamed

In this level, you ll learn the kanji for the thing that I love most: 寝 (lie down/sleep). How much sleep do you like? If I could, I would 寝る at least 十時間 per night.

More good kanji you’ll learn this level:

罰 (penalty). Try typing this into your IME, it ll produce the emoji ❌!
宮 (shinto shrine). This is a good one if you're traveling around Japan.
各 (each). Make sure you learn each kanji.

Here’s a link to your dashboard just in case, you know, you wanted to learn some new kanji, or something.

Love,
Koichi

Level 23

Hi username

You’re on Level 23!

I don’t know if you realized this, but you’re getting close to the halfway mark. See? It’s right here, right in this box…

You’ll learn 乳 (milk), 贅 (luxury), 鬼 (demon), and 幹 (tree trunk). Tree trunk may not seem that useful, but it is actually the かん part in しんかんせん, the world famous bullet train. You’ll have to complete this level to learn what the other parts are, though.

Back to studying, I guess. For the bullet train! 🚅

Love,
Koichi

Level 24

Hi username

You’re on Level 24!

You’ll learn 質 (quality) and 量 (quantity) in this one. What do you think your kanji learning is all about? Quality? Quantity? I’d say quantity is the deciding factor. The more kanji you can read, the easier it is the learn more kanji until it becomes almost automatic. That’s right, you can actually get better at learning kanji more quickly with practice. Quantity is what’ll get you there (then feel free to loop back around for the quality through reading actual Japanese).

More more more (learning)! Fill that brain up to the brim.

Love,
Koichi

Level 25

Hi {username}

You’re on Level 25!

480x315

Did you know that a long time ago, WaniKani only had 50 levels? If it were still a long time ago, you’d be halfway done! But, now we have 60 levels, so what is that? Do I look like a person who created WaniKani for math? (please do that, somebody).

On Level 25, you’ll learn the kanji for 輩 which will allow you to learn the word 先輩 (senpai!). You’ll also learn the kanji 隠 (hide), 活 (alive), 捕 (catch), and many more.

If you want your ワニカニの先輩 to notice you, I’d recommend getting started.

Love,
Koichi

Level 26

Hi Username

Level 26, here you come!

Kanji like 占 (fortune), 我 (yet another kanji for “I”), pig/pork (豚), 汗 (sweat), and another kanji for river (河) await you.

This is a WaniKani link (use it to get started on Level 26)

Love,
Koichi

Level 27

Level 27 is ready for you now.
unnamed
Kanji like Steps (段), 貸 (lend), 痛 (pain), and 怒 (angry) await you presence.

Vocabulary like 値段 (price), 巻きずし (rolled sushi / maki sushi rolls), 頭痛 (headache), 貸す (to lend), and 健忘症 (amnesia) sit in the wings.

Level 28

That table over there ordered you some Level 28. I think they want to congratulate you on a job well done.

If you close your eyes while you drink this Level, you’ll notice subtle hints of 並 (line up), 麗 (lovely), 傘 (umbrella), 巨 (giant), and 攻 (aggression)./details]

Level 29

Hi Username

You made it to Level 29. How does it feel to be almost finished with the 死 levels?

You’ll learn 娘 (daughter), 怖 (scary), 恐 (fear), 杯 (a cup of liquid), and many more kanji + vocabulary. I wouldn’t say this is the best level, but it’s a pretty good one.

Go ahead and get to it.

Love,
Koichi

Level 30

Hi Username

Level 30. One more Level and you’ll have made your way in 地獄 levels.

!

Don’t worry, you’ll learn that word on Level 35.

Level 30 has kanji like 婚 (marriage), 遊 (play), 盗 (steal), and 乏 (scarce).

Oh, also, did I mention you’re halfway through, now? With fewer radicals, it only gets easier from here.

Anyways, the only way to get to 地獄 is to get started.

Love,
Koichi

Level 31

Hi Username

Level 31. You’ve made it to the 地獄 levels.

unnamed

What did you expect after finishing all the 死 levels?

But it’s not all 地獄. You’ll get something out of it.

Kanji like 泥 (mud), 普 (normal), 驚 (surprised), 粉 (powder), 似 (resemble), and more will get you through Level 31. Vocabulary like 航空券 (airplane ticket), 中華 (Chinese), and 富士山 (Mt. Fuji) are there for you too.

If your Reviews aren’t too much (in which case you should do Reviews for a bit until they’re under control), you might as well get started on your Level 31 Lessons.

Love,
Koichi

Level 32

Hi username

Level 32! Each level takes you closer to the end than the beginning. Look how far you’ve come, how much you’ve learned.

unnamed

Some great kanji in this one: 卵 (egg), 机 (desk), 汚 (dirty), 興 (interest), 欲 (want). It’s a really good level, if I do say so myself.

Love,
Koichi

Level 33

Hi <username>

Lucky number 33! People love threes, do you know why? Neither do I…

47a7d4f5-4fa0-4b91-9a5e-03fe779ff9d9

Regardless, some new kanji are yours for the taking now.

灰 (ashes), 肺 (lung), 糖 (sugar), 賃 (rent), and 窓 (window) are some kanji to look forward to. You’ll be able to read that classic tale about the time ashes fell onto the village, getting into everyone’s lungs and windows. Then it turned out it wasn’t ashes, it was sugar, causing the rent to go up. You know the story.

Get started

Love,
Koichi

Level 34

Hi <username>,

You’re on Level 34 now! Feelin’ good.

30bbb5dd-7d2a-4ba5-a2d9-d0705cb997f7

Level 34 consists of the kanji 豆 (beans), 爪 (claw), 降 (descend), 芋 (potato), 奴 (dude), 吐 (throw up), and many more.

Get started!

Love,
Koichi

Level 35

Hi <username>,

You’re Level 35 now!

熊 (bear), 汁 (soup), 払 (pay), 鍋 (pot), 恥 (shame), and 獄 (prison) are all kanji you’ll learn.

You’ll also learn the vocab word 地獄.

Go ahead!

Love,
Koichi

Level 36

Hi <username>,

You’re on Level 36!

超 (ultra), 舞 (dance), 踏 (step), and 甘 (sweet) are some kanji you can look forward to.

Keep up the good work.

Love,
Koichi

Level 37

Hi <username>,

Level 37 :tada:

In Level 37, kanji like 跳 (hop), 香 (fragrance), 爆 (explode), 跡 (traces), and 戻 (return) are yours to learn.

Anyways, enough with the high fives!

Love,
Koichi

Level 38

Hi <username>,

You’re Level 38!
In Level 38, you learn the kanji for 妊 (pregnant), 逃 (escape), 賄 (bribe), and 賂 (also means bribe).

You’ll also learn the hilarious vocabulary word: 馬鹿馬鹿しい.

Don’t be 馬鹿馬鹿しい and get to it!

Love,
Koichi

Level 39

Hi <username>,

You’re Level 39! Keep driving in the same direction, you’ll get to your destination soon!

WK39

In Level 39, you’ll learn the kanji for 仙 (hermit), 片 (one sided), 壁 (wall), and 甲 (turtle shell). If anything, the kanji keep getting better, especially with a turtle shell in the mix.

Here’s the link to start studying.

Level 40

Hi {username}

Level 40 :tada: Last of the 地獄 levels. It’s not so bad when you actually go there, right?

Level%2040%20Gif

Level 40 has neat kanji like 殿 (milord), 孝 (filial piety), and 吹 (blow).

Anyways, only one way to get out of 地獄 and into 天国.

Love,
Koichi

Level 41

Hi {username}

You’re in the 天国 Levels now. You went through the pain, then death, then hell… so now you deserve ten levels of paradise, don’t you think?

What paradise awaits you? 蛍 (firefly), 券 (fist), 虎 (tiger), and most importantly, 蜂.

Lesson, Review, Review. :honeybee:

Level 42

Hi {username}

Level 42, you hoopy frood.

掘 (dig), 泊 (overnight), 焦 (char), 双 (pair), 到 (arrival), and 滑 (slippery) are some of the good ones.

Also, did you know that for this level only, you have access to a special section of the forums ? If you don’t see it, just log out and log back in.

Better yet, just do your lessons/reviews . It’s all durtles and distractions on the forums, anyways.

Love,
Koichi

Level 43

Hi <username>,

Now you’re on Level 43!

da642a24-817a-4465-a429-62bbd18c32b4

Plenty of great kanji you’ll be learning. 筒 (cylinder), 距 (distance), 珍 (rare), 撲 (slap), and 沼 (bog) are some of my favorites. I wonder which ones you’ll like (and which ones you’ll hate… there’s always that one, right?).

Love,
Koichi

Level 44

Hi <username>

Level 44, huh?

Maybe get through this one quickly. For 吉 (good luck)… which, coincidentally, is a kanji you’ll learn in this level.

[Get to it!]

Love,
Koichi

Level 45

Hi {username},

Level 45!

There are some wonderful kanji in this Level, but perhaps the most wonderful of all is 塊 (lump, ball), which is the かたまり of Katamari Damacy!

Other kanji are worth mentioning too, like 菌 (bacteria), 呪 (curse), and 霊 (ghost). There’s also another leg kanji (脚).

They won’t learn themselves, though.

Love,
Koichi

Level 46

Hi <username>,

You’re on Level 46!

b475bfcc-13f1-4759-9011-1e3fba0c3fd7

魔 (Devil), 猿 (monkey), 零 (zero), and even 黙 (shut up) are kanji you’ll learn in this Level.

You can learn them now!

Love,
Koichi

Level 47

Hi <username>,

Level 47! How’re the 天国 levels treating you? Wonderful, right?

460x256

To make things more heavenly, you’ve got 箸 (chopsticks), 虹 (rainbow), 婆 (old woman), and 霧 (fog) to look forward to.

Starty Mcreviewy.

Love,
Koichi

Level 48

Hi <username>,

It’s for you to jump into Level 48.

tumblr_nabyzwGvMH1tzs8fjo3_500

脇 (armpit), 咲 (blossom), 蚊 (mosquito), 帳 (notebook), and 悔 (regret) are some of the kanji you’ll be learning.

Get to it.

Love,
Koichi

Level 49

Hi <username>,

You’re getting close to the end of the 天国 levels. How does Level 49 feel? Real, perhaps?

5bc0f1bf-8d37-4f97-9acb-590d697486af

You’ll be learning the kanji 煮 (boil), 鶴 (crane), 紫 (purple), and 誓 (vow), among others. 天国’s turning out alright.

Get to it.

Love,
Koichi

Level 50

Level 50 ! :tada: 天国 Paradise is coming to an end and soon 現実 Reality will set in.

There are only two important kanji in this level. They are 鰐 and 蟹. You’ll see why when you get them done.

Level 51

Hi,

Did you enjoy 天国? Because now you’ve moved on to 現実 Reality.

Speaking of reality, I’m running out of gifs. So, here’s one.

480x300

But, I’m not running out of kanji, and neither are you.

耕 (plow), 媛 (princess), 塚 (mound), and 渦 (whirlpool) are incoming.

Love,
Koichi

Level 52

Hi <username>,

You’re Level 52! These last ten levels go fast, don’t they?

Also, no way any of these gifs will make sense anymore. I’m so done finding gifs (but, I’m still into your leveling up).

c48a524a-684d-48c7-9fda-c2bd018406a9

In Level 52, you’ll learn the kanji for 呂 (bath), 慢 (ridicule), 芳 (perfume), and more. Kanji are getting more and more specific, but don’t let that stop you from learning them. If you read, you’ll run into all of these from time to time.

Here’s the link to start studying.

Love,
Koichi

Level 53

Hi <username>,

Another level’s gone by. You’re invading Level 53 now!

2fdf8f77-c32e-439c-ace1-64aa7f850a86

Kanji like 瓜 (melon), 莉 (jasmine), 胞 (cell), and 鯉 are waiting for your study, young master.

Love,
Koichi

Level 54

Hi <username>,

Already Level 54, huh? You must have gotten a lot of your answers…

6084123e-65e6-414c-a028-3b87b5959c06

Level 54 has some interesting kanji. 杏 (apricot), 謡 (noh chanting), and 鯨 (whale), to name a few.

You’re getting close to the end, though. Have you thought about what you’ll do when you get there?

Love,
Koichi

Level 55

Hi <username>,

Another level’s gone by. You’re chill. You’re Level 55.

466feb9d-8d9e-4f84-ade2-bcc602753800

The kanji 旦 (dawn) is in this level. I bet you can just look at it and figure it out. Cool, right?

Also, you’ll learn the kanji for これ (this). You almost never see it as the kanji, but at least you can learn the word for clownfish.

Love,
Koichi

Level 56

Hi <username>

Level 56 :tada:

I’m running out of gifs now so here you go.

7c786c16-3f4a-4620-aec7-465e7f6c2bfa

Level 56 has 窮 (destitute), 寂 (lonely), and 凡 (mediocre). Not a bright bunch, that’s for sure.

We’ll see you at Level 57, but only if you do your Reviews.

Love,
Koichi

Level 57

Hi <username>,

Another level’s gone by. You’re invading Level 57 now!

2fdf8f77-c32e-439c-ace1-64aa7f850a86

Awaiting you are the hilariously spot-on kanji 凸 (convex) and 凹 (concave).

Also, the almost-just-the-bird-kanji 烏 (crow).

Some other good ones too, like 漬 (pickle), 萌 (sprout), and 胎 (womb).

Love,
Koichi

Level 58

Hi <username>

Level 58! The slow countdown counts down yet again. Maybe you should do more?

06fe4eb6-d790-4b82-b3e6-c1f03c4cf0c6

I’m pretty excited you’ll be learning the kanji 鶏 (chicken), 錠 (lock), 濁 (muddy), and 朽 (rot).

I’m also excited for how close you are to the end!

Get started

Love,
Koichi

Level 59

Hi <username>

Level 59 is exactly one level away from the final level.

Just one more step and…

b7a6b258-cbe4-413c-8dd2-0976ed446556

Kanji like 胆 (guts), 沙 (sand), 亜 (Asia), 崇 (worship), and more await you.

Start Learning?

Love,
Koichi

Level 60

You just got to Level 60, <username>

I don’t even have a gif deserving enough of your accomplishment.

Not many people get to this point, so what you did was really special.

I know this is an automatic email, but I’m seriously, actually really proud of what you’ve done.

I really hope it takes you places in life, work, or school. Knowledge truly is a powerful thing, and I hope you go out there and use it as much as you can. New doors are opening for you.

Speaking of which, it’s time to start thinking about leaving the WaniKani nest. You know how mother birds push their baby birds out of the tree to teach them how to fly, and sometimes they do but sometimes they don’t? That’s what needs to happen here. Although I’d love for you to use and pay for WaniKani forever, there’s a time where it’s better for you to go out into the real world, and that time is now. Feel free to finish this level and burn out previous items, but get out there and read Japanese! That’s why we’re doing this, after all.

Anyways, such a good job. You worked really hard. I know it’s tough. I’m really proud of what you’ve done, <username>.

Sincerely,

108 Likes

You’re not gonna mention the True Purpose for these e-mails?:stuck_out_tongue:

15 Likes

I added 16-18, I glanced at some of the higher level ones just to check if the “get to work!” and “get started!” were there and I didn’t see it, but I don’t know if that’s something you removed or just aren’t there in the higher levels.

I replaced the tracking link with a generic wanikani.com link in each of them, but feel free to remove if that’s how we want them standardized :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just added 13 and 14. I hope I did it right. :smile:

2 Likes

And if you are not receiving level up emails but would like to, you may need to go into your account settings and toggle the emails off and then back on. :tofugu:

11 Likes

Added level 2 and 11.
Does every level come with different subject/title?

1 Like

No, most of them are just “Level {number}”

Oh, okay then.
I just added email subjects for level 2 and 11, as they have different ones.

1 Like

How can you see if someone is editing?

EDIT: I’m done with editing, added 35, 36, and 37 :blush:

1 Like

On the ‘edit’ window, it shows the profile image of the person editing, with “editing…” next to it. This is on the upper-right side of the edit window.

2 Likes

I have 12

Summary

You finished the first “苦 painful” level. That wasn’t so bad, right? You’re not descending into madness, or anything…

Anyways, I’m really looking forward to you learning the kanji in Level 12. 悪 (bad), 寒 (cold), and 歯 (tooth) are pretty good ones.

There’s some useful words, too. 飲み物 (beverage), 勝手 (as one pleases), 音読み (on’yomi, which is the reading you usually learn with the kanji), and 家族 (family), to name a few.

You know how to make it happen, too. Careful not to do too many Lessons, if Reviews are feeling heavy, though.

Love,
Koichi

2 Likes

Leave the details tags in when you’re editing or the hidden nature of it will be ruined. Just delete the (hidden) in brackets.

I’ll add 28 now.

1 Like

Originally, we were all digging for the hidden Durtle puzzle clues, but of course we’re finished with that now (aren’t we??). (Or did you mean something else?)

3 Likes

Well, I’d love to provide the ones for 40 and 41 but I still have yet to receive anything. :neutral_face:

Starting to feel left out here… :eyes:

3 Likes

It never wants to work for me. xD May somebody please get the drop down to work correctly for Level please.

Does your email account support whitelisting?

I know WK’s email thing doesn’t work every time, but whitelisting is the first thing I’d try just to make sure. Then toggle the setting off and on again.

1 Like

I know I just posted, but please fix the Level 6 drop down. xD

You can post down here if you want someone to merge it for you.

You should just need:

[details="Level X"]
insert text here
[/details]

I’ve already tried toggling quite a few times.

And I wouldn’t think I’d need to white list, considering I’ve received many other Tofugu/WK emails, as well as individual ones from Kristen and Cyrus. But I guess it’s a possibility…

Actually, it looks right to me.