Have you leveled up in February? We need your help

Update: We have the password to B5 now, thanks for everyone’s help!

The password is:

A TURTLE

It was the vignere cipher, thanks @Hawkheart

DURTWEBURNWERISEDESCENDFOREVER
+ WIDTGINIIRZYIBDIVCGWQHVYPLVIMK
= TOMAKEMOREDURTLESYOUMUSTBURNIT

Please let us know if you’ve notice anything strange or different after burning something on WaniKani!

Story is complete

Story is complete
Level Letter Story
1 D “Durtles?” I asked. “But that’s impossible.”
W “Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast,” said the queen.
2 W “Well, I’ll need a crew,” I said.
U “Unless it’s out of my power, Captain Bottomfingers, you may choose whoever you like.”
3 U “Ugly Brodo is who I want, then––the greatest swordsman in the realm and captain of your guard.”
I “I can’t let you have him,” said the queen.
4 I “If you don’t let me take him, then you can find yourself another Digger,” I said.
R “Really, I need some time to think it over. I’ll give you an answer in the morning.”
5 R Ruminating upon the mission, I went back to my quarters.
D Despite my belief that we will not come back alive, I began this journal to record our mission.
6 D “Death and madness is what lies ahead,” is what they say.
T “The lucky ones burned before the madness set in.”
7 T "This journal shall serve as a guide for future Diggers.
T This is my gift to future generations, should I not come back alive, or sane."
8 T Tonight is my last chance to say goodbye to my family.
W “Weemo, my sweet husband, take care of our lovely son Dumbledore, and our baby girl Chorp. Goodbye and goodnight.”
9 W When I awoke, a man was standing over me.
G “Got an answer from the queen,” he said. “Looks like I‘m coming with you.”
10 G “Good news indeed!” I exclaimed.
E “Every other swordsman claims these durtle shells are uncuttable,” said Ugly Brodo.
11 E “Every other swordsman is not Ugly Brodo,” I assured him.
I “It’s time to go find the rest of our crew,” I continued
12 I In the morning, we began our search for crew members.
B Blessed I was, for I could form the greatest Digger team in the history of our realm:
13 B Bipple, the world’s tallest archer:
N Nobody can shoot an arrow from as high up, but his aim leaves a little to be desired
14 N Norman the wizard! Also happens to be the only wizard in the city.
U “Unconventional and non-mainstream spells” are his specialty.
15 U Ugly Brodo, of course, is our distinguished swordman.
I If you stare him in the eyes, he feels uncomfortable.
16 I I had my team of Diggers.
R Righteous followers of the Crabigator, all!
17 R Read my journal to learn how we succeed or fail.
I Included from here is our story, starting from our arrival to the entrance of Durtle Heaven.
23 I It was a particularly dark night, though as everyone knows it grows darker the closer one gets to the entrance.
N Never has the sun touched around this place, like an anti-spotlight darkening down 30 meters around the hole.
33 N Next to the hole–the entrance, we will call it–is another hole.
R Reach in to your shoulder and you’ll feel a key pad.
34 R “Rhymes with ass-word,” said the durtle who was standing there, next to the entrance.
W “Where did you appear from?” asked Ugly Brodo. “Do you stand against us, follower of Big Durt?"
28 W "We durtles stand aside for all who seek descension.
Z Zebras, humans, monkeys, durtles, it matters not," the durtle said.
50 Z “Zebras?” Norman asked quizzically. “Do you have many zebras seeking descension?”
E “Every once in a while,” replied the durtle after a moment of thought.
21 E “Ever been down there? Into Durtle Heaven, I mean”, said Norman to the entrance durtle.
Y “Yes, I too attempted descension once. Made it all the way down to B2.”
42 Y “You have any tips for folks like us? Advice, maybe?” said Bipple.
R “Right now all I can say about that is this: Don’t panic,” said the durtle.
58 R Rage gripped Ugly Brodo in that instant.
I “I’d much like to skip this jiddle nonsense and go straight to answers. What is the password?"
55 I “It rhymes with ass-word,” replied Norman in lieu of the trembling durtle.
I “If I were to guess, I’d say the password is… ‘password.’"
44 I It was indeed the password and we were allowed to descend.
B B1 was open to us as soon as Norman put in the word.
19 B “Bottomfingers… er… Captain Bottomfingers,” said Bipple, pointing at a durtle holding up a piece of paper.
S “Scripture! Scripture is what you four need! While you read it, I will feed!”
47 S “Seems to be a simple Caesar cipher,” said Norman.
D “Don’t Panic… that was the advice we got. Shift the letters by 42 and… voila, the password is 'crabigators eat butts.”
22 D “Definitely aint going to be that easy,” said Ugly Brodo.
E Entered password accepted, said the key pad.
40 E Everything had gone well up to this point. We were making quick progress.
I It was when we reached B2 that everything began to fall apart.
26 I “I’m Dingle, pleased to meet you,” said a human in a smart looking suit in B2.
D “Don’t Panic,’ what a load of garbage, am I right?” he continued.
54 D Dingle, short for Dingleton as it were, had been in B2 for several years.
V “Very into descending I was, before,” he told us. “But I couldn’t figure out the jiddle and one thing led to another… Now I just kind of do managerial work for the durtles of B2."
32 V “Vengeance against all who make it this far is definitely NOT my primary objective,” continued Dingle.
E “Everything and anything you need, I am merely here to serve.”
49 E Every password we tried was a failure. What were these numbers, and how were they related?
C “Could be hexadecimal,” said Norman. If it was, none of the passwords were working.
39 C “Can’t guess the password hmmm?” said Dingle one morning.
S “Suppose I could help you out but you have to help me out.”
52 S “Swordsman. I want the swordsman for my… personal consumption,” continued Dingle.
G “Give him to me, and I’ll bypass the key pad and let you descend."
20 G “Give him to you? What do you mean by that?” I asked. I was desperate though, so I continued to listen.
C “Concern yourself not with trivial matters such as that. I’ll give you until tomorrow to decide, Captain Bottomfingers.”
41 C Cursing Dingle’s name, I took the news to Ugly Brodo and the rest of the Diggers.
W “Well, this could be an opportunity, now couldn’t it?” said Ugly Brodo to the group.
53 W “We now know that Dingle over there has override codes. We could just force him to let us through.”
E “Every durtle on B2 will be on us in an instant. There’s no way we could pull this off,” I said.
38 E “‘Every durtle’ isn’t the realm’s greatest swordsman,” said Ugly Brodo. “You have my sword, Captain Bottomfingers."
Q “Quite so,” replied Bipple. “And you have Bipple’s nipples. We should take the password by force. We have been attempting this jiddle for weeks with no progress to speak of."
45 Q “Quench my blade’s thirst, Dingle will! Dingle! Dingle! Uncle Brodo is here for a visit!”
N “No, we should plan this out first,” I said. But it was already too late. Ugly Brodo was walking towards Dingle with his sword drawn.
24 N “Never mind the password, tell us the override,” demanded Ugly Brodo, sword to Dingle’s throat.
H “Hold on, hold on, oh damn, no, hold on,” gulped Dingle. “I’ll put in the override.” True to his word, Dingle put in the override and the descension door opened.
59 H “Help” was all Dingle could say before Dingle and Ugly Brodo were attacked.
D Durtles from a hundred holes piled and clawed their way awkwardly onto Dingle and Ugly Brodo.
51 D "Don’t let them take me,” said Ugly Brodo. “Don’t let them turn me.”
V "Very well, it looks like it’s Bipple’s time to shine,” said Bipple, standing up tall and straight, pushing out his chest.
48 V “Venerable Captain Bottomfingers, I must stay here. You and Norman must descend ahead of me.”
F “Find the bottom for me… and for Ugly Brodo. We’ll be watching over you from your Review pile."
30 F Fear gripped me as I realized what Bipple was saying. Norman pulled me through the descension hole, but I still saw everything.
Y Yanking off his yellow t-shirt, Bipple’s nipples shown huge and bright.
27 Y “Yes! Yes! Yes!” he screamed as his arrowheads grew huge and red. Then he screamed.
O Out from Bipple’s nipples two arrows flew, striking their targets true.
37 O “Okay, it looks like it’s old Bipple’s time to go,” he said.
P Pouring forth from more hidden holes, durtles swarmed him. The last thing I saw before blacking out was a single, lifeless hand sticking out of a pile of durtles, in a thumbs up.
31 P “Progress, we actually made some progress Captain!” Norman cast a spell to slap me with a bunch of Kale.
R Reality came back suddenly. I was in B3, but two of my Diggers were dead.
56 R “Rest assured they made their decisions by themselves. They knew the risks when they came here,” said Norman.
L Life can be over in an instant. But was it worth two lives, not to mention even one, in order to descend? Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something move.
35 L “Lucky guess?” asked a durtle carrying a long staff.
E “Every time someone comes down here it’s a lucky guess, it seems like. Nobody seems to be able to repeat the password and they’re all crying about 'their friend was devoured, etcetera, this and that.’” I didn’t respond. It was time to get to work.
57 E Eternity: that’s how I’d describe the time we spent in B3.
V Verifying the letters of each textbook numbed me, but Norman took to it like a durtle to distraction.
29 V Vowing to never sleep until he solved the jiddle, Norman never stopped.
V Volatile he became, though as time went by. He’d lashed out at me when I tried to help.
18 V Various answers came close, but we never got it exactly. One day, though, he said:
I “I’ve got it. I solved it B3’s jiddle.”
46 I Indeed, the password was correct, but Norman was not.
E Enduring the stresses of this jiddle for so long stripped Norman to a blubbering, drooling, stump of a man.
25 E Executing Norman was the most humane thing I could do. A knife to the durt, as they say, to make it quick.
M Mental clarity is the most important thing, and we can’t have anyone insane going down to B4, right?
43 M Millions have tried to come this far, and most have failed.
R Right now, though, I sit on the cold floor of B4.
36 R Realization comes to me–I’ve failed too: I can only hope to help those that come after me.
K Knowledge of the password is hidden within my journal. I’ve watched hundreds of durtles come and go and I’ve figured it out.
60 K Kindly take what I’ve written in this journal and look to each and every other line.
D Disciples of the Crabigator should not trust the order of my entries after our arrival to Durtle Heaven, for that is when I believe the madness set in.
Signed Yours Truly,
Captain Bottomfingers.

Work off sheet 4

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b594hcK9QqmNumnWpbAAeUEQ8QBMSOl6Yu7jdOw-PXU/edit#gid=1921819701

Attemps (please add your own)
DURT WE BURN WE RISE DESCEND FOREVER
durtweburnwerisedescendforever
durt we burn we rise descend forever
WEBURNWERISEDESCENDFOREVER
WE BURN WE RISE DESCEND FOREVER
weburnwerisedescendforever
we burn we rise descend forever
DURT we burn we rise descend forever
DURT We burn we rise descend forever
Durt We burn we rise descend forever
We Burn We Rise Descend Forever
DURTWEBURNWERISEDECENDFOREVERS
durtweburnwerisedescendforevers
durt we burn we rise descend forevers
DDUURRTTWWEEBBUURRNNWWEERRIISSEEDDEESSCCEENNDDFFOORREEVVEERR
dduurrttwweebbuurrnnwweerriisseeddeesscceennddffoorreevveerr
forever descend rise we burn we durt
DREVEROFDNECSEDESIREWNRUBEWTRU
dreverofdnescedesirewnrubewtru
REVEROFDNECSEDESIREWNRUBEWTRUD
reverofdnescedesirewnrubewtrud
DURTWEBURNWERISEDESCENDFOREVERTOMAKEMOREDURTLESYOUMUSTBURNIT
DURT WE BURN WE RISE DESCEND FOREVER TO MAKE MORE DURTLES YOU MUST BURN IT
durtweburnwerisedescendforevertomakemoredurtlesyoumustburnit
durt we burn we rise descend forever to make more durtles you must burn it
TOMAKEMOREDURTLESYOUMUSTBURNIT
tomakemoredurtlesyoumustburnit
TO MAKE MORE DURTLES YOU MUST BURN IT
to make more durtles you must burn it

Archive

Help us solve this please!

DWWUUIIRRDDTTTTWWGGEEIIBBNNUUIIRRIINNRRWWZZEEYYRRIIIIBBSSDDEEIIDDVVEECCSSGGCCWWEEQQNNHHDDVVFFYYOOPPRRLLEEVVVVIIEEMMRRKKD

Every forth letter

Tried passwords that’s not the password

Some of you may be familiar with the Durtle Heaven puzzle going on. If you are not and want to find out what it is, I refer you to this thread.

Anyway. If you have leveled up in February and you received an email from Wanikani for doing so we would like you to have a second look at that email for us, since it may contain clues to the puzzle. We are looking for HTML comments in the emails. See below for how to check this in Gmail.

If you haven’t gotten an email yet, you can force the system to send it to you by toggling the option for email notifications on and off (Settings -> Account -> Receive WaniKani Related Emails). It might take around 5 minutes after toggling it back on to arrive.

Currently we are missing the emails for levels:

You can copy the text (with linebreak) you find, or take a screenshot or whatever. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Statistically, this will get exponentially harder to fill up closer to the higher levels, so if you know people on the forum who are your friends that are higher level, flag them down and ask for their help, please!

Resulting letters -- and next step
         1         2         3         4         5         6
D U R T W E B U R N W E R I S E D E S C E N D F O R E V E R
 W I D T G I N I I R Z Y I B D I V C G W Q H V Y P L V I M K
Levels found so far
Level Message
1a “Durtles?” I asked. “But that’s impossible.”
1b “Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast,” said the queen.
2a “Well, I’ll need a crew,” I said.
2b “Unless it’s out of my power, Captain Bottomfingers, you may choose whoever you like.”
3a “Ugly Brodo is who I want, then––the greatest swordsman in the realm and captain of your guard."
3b “I can’t let you have him,” said the queen.
4a “If you don’t let me take him, then you can find yourself another Digger,” I said.
4b “Really, I need some time to think it over. I’ll give you an answer in the morning."
5a Ruminating upon the mission, I went back to my quarters.
5b Despite my belief that we will not come back alive, I began this journal to record our mission.
6a “Death and madness is what lies ahead,” is what they say.
6b “The lucky ones burned before the madness set in.”
7a "This journal shall serve as a guide for future Diggers.
7b This is my gift to future generations, should I not come back alive, or sane."
8a Tonight is my last chance to say goodbye to my family.
8b “Weemo, my sweet husband, take care of our lovely son Dumbledore, and our baby girl Chorp. Goodbye and goodnight.”
9a When I awoke, a man was standing over me.
9b "Got an answer from the queen,“ he said. "Looks like I‘m coming with you.“
10a "Good news indeed!“ I exclaimed.
10b "Every other swordsman claims these durtle shells are uncuttable,“ said Ugly Brodo.
11a “Every other swordsman is not Ugly Brodo,” I assured him.
11b “It’s time to go find the rest of our crew,” I continued.
12a In the morning, we began our search for crew members.
12b Blessed I was, for I could form the greatest Digger team in the history of our realm:
13a Bipple, the world’s tallest archer:
13b Nobody can shoot an arrow from as high up, but his aim leaves a little to be desired
14a Norman the wizard! Also happens to be the only wizard in the city.
14b “Unconventional and non-mainstream spells” are his specialty.
15a Ugly Brodo, of course, is our distinguished swordman.
15b If you stare him in the eyes, he feels uncomfortable.
16a I had my team of Diggers.
16b Righteous followers of the Crabigator, all!
17a Read my journal to learn how we succeed or fail.
17b Included from here is our story, starting from our arrival to the entrance of Durtle Heaven.
18a Various answers came close, but we never got it exactly. One day, though, he said:
18b “I’ve got it. I solved it B3’s jiddle.”
19a “Bottomfingers… er… Captain Bottomfingers,” said Bipple, pointing at a durtle holding up a piece of paper.
19b “Scripture! Scripture is what you four need! While you read it, I will feed!”
20a “Give him to you? What do you mean by that?” I asked. I was desperate though, so I continued to listen.
20b “Concern yourself not with trivial matters such as that. I’ll give you until tomorrow to decide, Captain Bottomfingers.”
21a “Ever been down there? Into Durtle Heaven, I mean,” said Norman to the entrance durtle.
21b “Yes, I too attempted descension once. Made it all the way down to B2.”
22a “Definitely aint going to be that easy,” said Ugly Brodo.
22b “Entered password accepted,” said the key pad.
23a It was a particularly dark night, though as everyone knows it grows darker the closer one gets to the entrance.
23b Never has the sun touched around this place, like an anti-spotlight darkening down 30 meters around the hole.
24a “Never mind the password, tell us the override,” demanded Ugly Brodo, sword to Dingle’s throat.
24b “Hold on, hold on, oh damn, no, hold on,” gulped Dingle. “I’ll put in the override.” True to his word, Dingle put in the override and the descension door opened.
25a Executing Norman was the most humane thing I could do. A knife to the durt, as they say, to make it quick.
25b Mental clarity is the most important thing, and we can’t have anyone insane going down to B4, right?
26a “I’m Dingle, pleased to meet you,” said a human in a smart looking suit in B2.
26b “'Don’t Panic,’ what a load of garbage, am I right?” he continued.
27a Yes! Yes! Yes!” he screamed as his arrowheads grew huge and red. Then he screamed.
27b Out from Bipple’s nipples two arrows flew, striking their targets true.
28a "We durtles stand aside for all who seek descension.
28b Zebras, humans, monkeys, durtles, it matters not," the durtle said.
29a Vowing to never sleep until he solved the jiddle, Norman never stopped.
29b Volatile he became, though as time went by. He’d lashed out at me when I tried to help.
30a Fear gripped me as I realized what Bipple was saying. Norman pulled me through the descension hole, but I still saw everything.
30b Yanking off his yellow t-shirt, Bipple’s nipples shown huge and bright.
31a Progress, we actually made some progress Captain! Norman cast a spell to slap me with a bunch of Kale.
31b Reality came back suddenly. I was in B3, but two of my Diggers were dead.
32a Vengeance against all who make it this far is definitely NOT my primary objective, continued Dingle.
32b Everything and anything you need, I am merely here to serve.
33a
33b
34a
34b
35a “Lucky guess?” asked a durtle carrying a long staff.
35b “Every time someone comes down here it’s a lucky guess, it seems like. Nobody seems to be able to repeat the password and they’re all crying about ‘their friend was devoured, etcetera, this and that.’” I didn’t respond. It was time to get to work.
36a Realization comes to me - I’ve failed too: I can only hope to help those that come after me.
36b Knowledge of the password is hidden within my journal. I’ve watched hundreds of durtles come and go and I’ve figured it out.
37a “Okay, it looks like it’s old Bipple’s time to go,” he said. Pouring forth from more hidden holes, durtles swarmed him.
37b The last thing I saw before blacking out was a single, lifeless hand sticking out of a pile of durtles, in a thumbs up.
38a “Every durtle’ isn’t the realms greatest swordsman,” said Ugly Brodo. You have my sword, Ca ptain Bottomfingers."
38b “Quite so,” replied Bipple. “And you have Bipple’s nipples. We should take the password by force. We have been attempting this jiddle for weeks with no progress to speak of.”
39a Can’t guess the password hmmm? said Dingle one morning.
39b Suppose I could help you out but you have to help me out.
40a Everything had gone well up to this point. We were making quick progress.
40b It was when we reached B2 that everything began to fall apart.
41a
41b
42a “You have any tips for folks like us? Advice, maybe?” said Bipple.
42b “Right now all I can say about that is this: Don’t panic,” said the durtle.
43a
43b
44a It was indeed the password, and we were allowed to descend.
44b B1 was open to us as soon as Norman put in the word.
45a
45b
46a
46b
47a “Seems to be a simple Caesar cipher,” said Norman.
47b “Don’t Panic… that was the advice we got. Shift the letters by 42 and… voila, the password is ‘crabigators eat butts.’”
48a
48b
49a
49b
50a “Zebras?” Norman asked quizzically. “Do you have many zebras seeking descension?”
50b “Every once in a while,” replied the durtle after a moment of thought.
51a "Don’t let them take me,” said Ugly Brodo. “Don’t let them turn me.”
51b “Very well, it looks like it’s Bipple’s time to shine,” said Bipple, standing up tall and straight, pushing out his chest.
52a
52b
53a
53b
54a
54b
55a
55b
56a “Rest assured they made their decisions by themselves. They knew the risks when they came here,” said Norman.
56b Life can be over in an instant. But was it worth two lives, not to mention even one, in order to descend? Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something move.
57a "Eternity: that’s how I’d describe the time we spent in B3.
57b Verifying the letters of each textbook numbed me, but Norman took to it like a durtle to distraction."
58a Rage gripped Ugly Brodo in that instant.
58b “I’d much like to skip this jiddle nonsense and go straight to answers. What is the password?”
59a "Help” was all Dingle could say before Dingle and Ugly Brodo were attacked.
59b Durtles from a hundred holes piled and clawed their way awkwardly onto Dingle and Ugly Brodo.
60a Kindly take what I’ve written in this journal and look to each and every other line.
60b Disciples of the Crabigator should not trust the order of my entries after our arrival to Durtle Heaven, for that is when I believe the madness set in. Signed Yours Truly, Captain Bottomfingers.
How to check your email for hidden messages

Please keep the original line break formatting! That means if there’s a linebreak, please keep it in the spreadsheet!

Discussion thread: Descent of the Durtle into eGoooott - NOW AT B4!

35 Likes

You might want to highlight “the second Koichi” as the email itself is twice in the raw code and people might overlook it.

1 Like

Levelled up to 33 today - got nothing. shrugs

3 Likes

Hmm I should be leveling up in max 3 days so I’ll have to see if I get one.

1 Like

-Checks email- :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Made it a wiki post so feel free to change anything you’d like

1 Like

For the record, I leveled up to 27 today but got an email about level 26. The exact timing might be a coincidence but I guess my point is it might not happen immediately upon leveling up. Might happen a week later like for me.

1 Like

Also, I was unsubscribed from the emails and leveled up exactly one day ago. When I turned it back on, I immediately got the email

1 Like

This is likely the case. I haven’t got an email yet, and i know I’ve leveled up within the month.

I guess I’ll start doing some lessons tomorrow, so I should be able to get us the message for level 24 in a bit over a week if nobody else gets it before then.

Turning the email option off and on actually triggers the email, I just successfully forced the level 4 email after a 5 day wait or so. added level 4 hidden message

2 Likes

@Kumirei Can you please include this spreadsheet so everyone could contribute without the downtime of needing someone to edit the OP?

1 Like

I levelled up yesterday but did not get any email.

I’d like to help, but if I have to keep checking my email every day I’m not gonna do it.

1 Like

See my post:

If you haven’t gotten an email yet, you can force the system to send it to you by toggling the option for email notifications on and off (Settings -> Account -> Receive WaniKani Related Emails).

Also check the spam inbox!

I leveled up to 40 yesterday but I haven’t received anything.

2 Likes

I think i reached level 5 on february 3rd but didnt get an email. I did get the level 6 email tho

@Ryouki If you haven’t gotten an email yet, you can force the system to send it to you by toggling the option for email notifications on and off (Settings -> Account -> Receive WaniKani Related Emails).
It should arrive about 5 minutes later.

Capture

If I did it right, this was in the level 12 email.

2 Likes

That doesn’t really make sense but I’ll give it a go.