Favorite Japanese music?

AKFG is also my favourite band. I saw them live in Mexico city on their second to last world tour (so upset I didn’t see them when they were in Mexico again in 2017) and it was a trancendent experience. I hope to meet them again! My favourite song is Korogaru Iwa, Kimi ni Asa ga Furu, but c’mon, you can’t beat Haruka Kanata!

3 Likes

Ah, Haruka Kanata really brings back memories!

I’m going to leave this one here, too:

A little difficult for shower singing, but great when making wok noodles :wink:

5 Likes

Ken Ishii! oh, how much I loved Ken Ishii’s music years and years ago, thanks for bringing it back into my mind - is he still going?

1 Like

Probably my favorite non-weeb Japanese song! I actually stumbled across this cover first, which I prefer to the original:

In general, many of my Japanese song preferences are from popular anime (Cruel Angel’s Thesis from Eva, Again from FMAB, Hikaru Nara from Shigatsu, Unravel from Tokyo Ghoul…). It’s hardly a requirement, but I love anime music that much more when it connects with the story well (e.g. Angel Beats and Charlotte OPs foreshadowing major plot developments). If I had to pick just one anime for music, it’s this one:

White Album 2 (which is a fantastic adaptation of an even more fantastic VN) has some of the best emotional development and every word of Todokanai Koi is packed to the brim with all that feeling

4 Likes

I’m a big fan of Ado’s music. Her voice is really good, but recently she’s been singing banger after banger. ギラギラ, レディメイド and うっせぇわ are all very good recent hits.

Kenshi Yonezu is an incredible singer as always. Favorites are KANDEN, 馬と鹿 and paprika.

Eve was mentioned before, but I do love his songs a lot. 心海 and いのちの食べ方 are great.

2 Likes

Been listening to quite some Junko Ohashi and Tomoko Aran lately and picked up this gem again:

X Japan- 紅

I could just link an absolute plethora of 氷川きよし songs here because they’re my favourite artist of all time, but I’ll restrain myself.

龍翔鳳舞 just gets me on a vocal level every single time - first time I ever watched this performance, I was in awe.

If we have any Dragon Ball Super fans or Kouhaku watchers in the house, they did the OP 限界突破xサバイバー:

And since it would be remiss of me to actually mention them without mentioning that their roots are in enka, and it was actually their enka that made me an enka fan in general as well as their fan, here’s a performance of 大井追っかけ音次郎 from back in 2002, because nothing brings me joy like a good やっぱりね. Also so tinyyyyy:

I could go on, because I have seen Kii live now 12 times and there is nothing I love talking about more.

Their most famous song is きよしのズンドコ節, but I don’t wanna go spamming too many videos when I could be highlighting some others!

In terms of other artists I like…

Enka-wise, I love はやぶさ、 水森かおり、彩青、辰巳ゆうと、山内惠介、純烈 (although they’re more kayokyoku)、新浜レオン、真田ナオキ、細川たかし、パク・ジュニョン、ジェロ、五木ひろし、坂本冬美、岩佐美咲… I really could go on, actually.

Outside of enka, I love boybands like NEWS, KAT-TUN, Hey! Say! JUMP, Sexy Zone, SixTONES, 嵐… any Johnny’s goes, to be honest. Also love 二丁目の魁カミングアウト 、めせもあ。、cosmic!!.. basically if it’s a boyband, I’ll probably love it.

Rock-wise, I lean towards Mr. Children, レミオロメン and Galileo Galilei. Though I tend to be pretty easy with rock, and I like listening to anything (I have a fair bit of MTH and The GazettE in my playlists too!) but I do love me some affectionately-named dad rock.

I also listen to a lot of the stuff that gets popular here, so your 米津玄師s and NiziUs and viral songs like 香水. I get a lot of recommendations from junior high school students, which is pretty lucky.

Now I Will Shut Up, Finally.

1 Like

susumu slaps for real and the mad lads got a fat discography to last me a lifetime, his voice just comforts my soul like a fathers lullaby, warm and familiar, transporting me to a different world every night with those whack ass timeless instrumentals and choirs that aint nobody else can do the way he do

1 Like

Not sure whether he’s been brought up already, but Catarrh Nisin is great, although pretty unknown. I’d recommend checking out Exhale and 凡庸. (Grime)
In the same vein there is DEKISHI with No Country 4 Young Men (at least check out the first track of that, it’s really good) and Itaq with classics like I Am That I Am.
Haruka Nakamura is pretty good in general, too. (instrumental (hip-hop at times))
Tohji also has some tracks worth listening to (Mall Boyz got brought up a while ago in this thread ayyy), sugAA/I’m a Godzilla duh are probably two of the easier ones to get into.

That was a lot of Hip-Hop and Grime, now for some diverse shout-outs:

As a last note, as you might’ve picked up from my profile picture, 2hu is good, indeed. If you don’t like the original songs there are tons of mash-ups (haru is really good regardless of whether you like touhou or not, as long as you like hip-hop), remixes, covers and anything else that you can think of in any music style regarding the touhou soundtrack.

EDIT: Just saw that someone suggested Yellow Magic Orchestra earlier, and had to repeat that; their music was incredibly advanced in style for the time and it still holds up today.

1 Like

Do anime openings count? If so, then each and every opening present is my favorite Japanese music. :grin:

Day6’s Japanese songs are bangers, go check 'em out :star:

(For example:)

2 Likes

Here are a few that I have found recently and like. Also a fan of the 80s city pop

1 Like

Someone’s yet to mention Envy, Alt of the Society, Killie, Heaven in Her Arms, DIMLIM, even Ling tosite sigure.

It might not be the best music for language learning (as the vocals often get explosive and impossible to understand). But worth a listen for the sheer emotional intensity.

Here goes a personal favorite of mine, to which I usually listen when I’m warming up to go to the gym:

Also, MOROHA, which sound different from everything else:

2 Likes

An album from 2005, but has very strong 1970s vibes and a beautiful, gentle vocal by サノトモミ.

3 Likes

Required Malfunction from The Gazette:

And Memento from Nonoc:

It’s almost 10 pm here so it’s time for an ear worm, cause who doesn’t like ear worms :smiley:

お休みなさい!

4 Likes

My favorite band of all time is Plastic Tree. I have all their albums that can be purchased on itunes.

1 Like

KANA-BOON make some great music besides their anime tracks, these songs are especially good:

I’m listening to Reol a lot lately, especially this one「 第六感」 [link to the youtube video]

2 Likes