Differences with Anki deck

I recently started with the Anki 2.3 core deck. It’s great, teaches me a lot of vocab which is not in WK.
But I noticed that there are differences between both… for example:
止める - In WK it’s とめる, in Anki deck it’s both とめる and やめる.

The や reading is never taught in WK.

I noticed this with more Kanji, quite some kunyomi and onyomi readings aren’t being taught in WK.
That kind of surprised me :-/

2 Likes

Did you have a question about it?

3 Likes

I would recommend looking up new Anki cards in Jisho the first time you see them. A lot of deck notes are taken straight from Jisho, but the deck authors often choose to omit several meanings (sometimes seemingly at random).

2 Likes

Kind of :wink: I was surprised that WK doesn’t teach all the readings. So the question would be… why not?

That is very good advice, didn’t think of that. Thank you.

As I understand it, when there are two different readings with the same okurigana and they mean different things, WK doesn’t have the ability to have both (how would they be differentiated). And rather than confuse the issue by having both readings and meanings for the same item, they pick one. That is how I’ve heard it explained anyway. (Well this is for WK, no idea about KW.)

4 Likes

Oh, I have no idea haha. never used or looked at kw

1 Like

Crap! I meant WK instead of KW… confusing since I use them both :wink: Will edit my post…

Ah that explains it… good thing I started with an Anki deck then :slight_smile: and I meant WK instead of KW, sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

I recommend trying out iknow, it has taught me loads of new readings and words and there’s a really useful resource here which reorders it according to wk levels

2 Likes

My take: wanikani is not great for vocabulary. It will teach you a lot, just like any resource can, but the focus here is getting you to the point where you can read more or less comfortably, and then your world will expand enough for you to get more out of everything you study, be it native media or educational in nature.

But truth is, WK is shallow in a lot of cases, even with kanji and sometimes to a fault, because it’s aiming to take you as far as you need in a timely manner. It teaches you just enough to keep you going. You’re level 25 now, and that’s when things here start getting overwhelming. Depending on how many lessons you take in a week you might be spending 2-3 hours on SRS alone every day if you’re also doing anki.

But it’s for the best: almost everything you’re learning here or anki you’re probably going to re-learn in practice but interacting with real, live, non-graded Japanese. What you’re forming here are mostly “memory anchors”, but the notes on word usage and examples sentences are barely enough. I personally wish they’d add another 3-5k words, after level 60 just because I like their brand of convenient and well-curated manual input reviews with a good white list/synonym system, but I suppose you have to kick the chick out the nest someday.

3 Likes

That sounds great. What I do now is suspend cards with Kanji that I haven’t learned yet, but this sounds way more convenient.

I think the system of WK is absolutely terrific, I never expected to be able to memorize Kanji and vocab so fast. But only after using the Anki deck I realized WK doesn’t teach all the possible readings.
I did know that WK doesn’t teach a lot of basic non-kanji vocab, but I decided to start with Anki until I was level 25 so I had some basic Kanji knowledge.

And you’re right, I do spend around 2 to 3 hours per day on doing reviews, but since it’s spread out over the day (I do my reviews almost every hour if possible) is still managable so far. And the burns just started which gave me an extra motivation to push on :wink:

1 Like

I looked it up in some dictionaries and will share the weblio link for 止める as an example.

Please note the symbols ▽ (irregular reading) and × (not Jôyô kanji). So やめる is an irregular reading for 止める. Also it is not used synonymous with all the meanings of とめる but rather in one of the following cases:

• when an ongoing condition (/habit) is stopped:
    ** 「酒をやめる」
  • when something scheduled cannot happen (maybe also finished early… I’m not sure^^)
    ** 「旅行をやめる」
  • when an injury / illness is cured

From what I can see for the first couple of explanations under とめる it seems to have a notion of “the stopping is happening at the moment /close to the moment that is talked about”, e.g.:
** 「タクシーをとめる」
** 「息をとめる」
This is the meaning WK focuses on from what I can see on their “context” section, e.g.:
** くるまを止める
** 火を止める

On the other hand, looking at the item 布地 WK does teach multiple readings here. I was looking up that one as well (布地 on weblio). Here, きれじ also is labeled as irregular reading and when I look at the entry for ぬのじ it indicates that this is a synonym for 生地 or for きれじ.

My guess is the following (and it is purely my reasoning… so feel free to ignore / object):

• ぬのじ / きれじ / 生地 may do have their nuances as well but may be used synonymous
  • やめる is only used for a subset of meanings of 止める and because it is an irregular reading chances might be good that an author may also provide furigana or write it in hiragana in the first place if they want it to be read as やめる

Anyways, good luck with your studies :four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

Thanks for figuring this out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, the first thing I thought was, “is that a valid reading?”. I’ve seen it before (in the dictionary), but I always forget because it’s not that common, and my dictionary marks it as usually written in kana.

1 Like

I never heard of Iknow. I do know Kitsun but to be honest I found the dashboard too confusing and didn’t bother spending more time on figuring out how everything works.
Iknow is great though! Especially with the sorted levels. Going to use this from now on instead of Anki.

1 Like

I started with Iknow and it’s a great but… also a humbling experience. Learned about 20 variations of 上 and 下 and I had to google all over the place to understand in which case I have to use which word :smiley: Quite confusing and still not sure if I understand it correctly.
But it also made me realize how utterly necessary it is to study vocab on top of WK.

There was already an explanation but I think it’s overcomplicated. やめる and とめる are two different words, with their own intransitive pairs やむ and とまる. Writing やめる as 止める isn’t jouyou and is pretty rare. For とめる, you can also write them as 停める, 留める, or very rarely 駐める。

In general やめる is about stopping actions while とめる is about stopping movement.

If you want a really detailed explanation, take a look at my self-answered queustion on the Japanese Stack Exchange: usage - How to properly use とまる/とめる/やむ/やめる/とどまる/とどめる/よす/さす - Japanese Language Stack Exchange

2 Likes

Thanks but I didn’t mean to make is specifically about this example, it was just one example of a lot of reading that are completely missing in WK. I never realized WK doesn’t teach all the readings until now.
Your ‘in general’ explanation is how I understood it from the example sentences too so thanks for confirming.
Wish the 5948 combinations of 上 and 下 were that simple :smiley: Meanwhile I wrote almost a novel with explanations and example sentences to get these in my head correctly :wink: