Back to Level 1... But I will not be defeated!

Well, I had high hopes for myself. It’s a habit of mine to start something, be extremely eager to stick with it, and then fail and burn out.

It happened a few months ago, I was making great progress on WaniKani, and to no one else’s blame but my own, I stalled out on my studies. I can use the excuse that this covid stuff is affecting me, or that work has been crazy or that I’m just too busy, but the only reason I can really find is the fact that I just didn’t stick with it. The site icon is on the homescreen of my phone and I see it every day, but rarely did I actually click it and check things out. There’s a shortcut on my work PC and home PC and the same happens with them.

A few weeks ago I got back on and did a few reviews, realized I really didn’t remember many of the readings of the newer stuff I was learning so I reset down to level 10 (I was only on level 12). Once again, I just didn’t go back and then a week ago I decided to try again. After doing a few more, I once again realized even kanji were lost on me. I knew the meanings but I couldn’t remember a lot of the actual readings of them. I decided to do the hard thing and reset to level 1. I had started finally burning on my studies and felt very defeated when I made the decision, but I knew there was no way to keep myself from messing up too much and that a simple “memory joggin dance” would not fix this.

I woke up on the first day of my new beginning and I will say, I feel somewhat refreshed. It’s kind of nice going back and relearning some of the readings and vocab I got rusty with. I honestly believe that I can do this and that if I stay headstrong I will be able to hit level 60.

Thank you for listening to my rant. I just wanted to share my experience with you guys! Have a great day!

23 Likes

I was in a similar situation to yours, after getting to around level 10 I began slowing down, at first I stopped doing new lessons and only did reviews and after that dropped WaniKani all together. At the end of last year I finally decided to get back into it and started again from level 1. Right now I’m higher than where I was when I last ended and definitely don’t regret starting fresh. Reinforcing everything from the lower levels sets you up for the future anyways.

Good luck!

5 Likes

Glad to have you back with us @Nooters :raised_hands:t2:

If you feel like connecting with fellow Durtles and learn along, you can join the below thread.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.