Are there any English words that Wanikani forced you to learn how to spell?

Big one for me is bureau :laughing:

23 Likes

Personnel :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

No, because it seems you can smash out anything that closely resembles the word and it comes up green.

:sweat_smile: :joy: :melting_face:

34 Likes

Bureaucrat. Still don’t know how to, failed it more times than I can count, but I just let it pass now. It’s not english that I’m learning after all.

15 Likes

filial piety…not exactly a term i was terribly familiar with prior to wanikani in all honesty

8 Likes

Mediterreannean

except clearly not

49 Likes

Not really. I feel I am like a half-visual type, who can imagine alphabets in my head, even if it is pronounced differently.

Bureau is indeed an exception, but at some point, I started to focus on exceptions.

But it might the case for new words, e.g. Troupe (I only know of Trope), Ratification

1 Like

I discovered I was spelling calendar wrong…

11 Likes

chrysanthemum

14 Likes

Not really… it’s just highlighted how bad my spelling is based on how often I see the ‘your answer was a bit off’ message.

I am dysgraphic (type of dyslexia), so I can’t spell English words to save myself. They have the answer input set with a spellcheck=“false” attribute so I can’t even tell my words are misspelled, because they look fine to me. I wish they left spellcheck on for the English answers so I could see before I click submit that I’ve fudged it, then maybe I could correct it and learn how to spell the word properly.

Luckily it’s pretty loose with what it accepts but I still manage to mangle some completely. I add simpler synonyms to get around some of then, sorry Wani but I am not learning how to spell narwhal!

It usually goes like this: I see 入り口, I type enterance, it says my answer is a bit off, I look and see it’s actually spelled entrance, I learn nothing and make the same mistake next time.

I did learn that you can spell moustache as mustache in the US, that was new knowledge for me!

9 Likes

narwhal, and I dont even know why ナ uses narwhal as the mnemonic

1 Like

Presumably it’s mostly because it’s a funny word that starts with “na”, which makes it a bit more vivid that some other possibilities, but the mnemonic also says you can imagine the shape as a narwhal as well.

3 Likes

Yea I cant deny that it works, cause here i am remembering it.

4 Likes

No but I was forced to learn that Wanikani thinks that vermilion is spelled with two Ls. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Hahaha, same energy. Also bureau, but that one I sometimes managed to wing somehow. I blame French in this case, tho. In other languages it’s buro :stuck_out_tongue: .

5 Likes

Both work, but two L is less common or outdated? Maybe @wanikani really should list vermilion as primary, and hide vermillion? (And I also used No Cigar)

2 Likes

Fine, but if I answer it with one L it says I have a typo. Maybe I took it too personally :slight_smile:

koichi 

10 Likes

Honestly, separate. >> Oh god and feudal. Takes me two tries every time. >< Recently I’ve been using the swipe keyboard and sometimes even it doesn’t know where I’ve gone wrong. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Not really. If I’m unsure of the spelling of a longer word, and I know it’s off by one or two letters, I just leave it as is. It still gets accepted as a correct answer. Work smart, not hard, lol I’m generally good at spelling, I think.