Noticing spelling improvement with WaniKani

This post was inspired by one about English vocabulary. I too noticed an improvement, but not with my vocabulary (though I must admit the wanikani team has some rather creative writers on hand)

Anyway, What I really noticed while using this app was that my SPELLING ability was actually getting better. In an age of automatic correction, regardless of how many times you’ve ever typed out “separate” as “seperate,” “recommend” as “reccommend,” or “vacuum” as “vaccum,” you somehow never manage to actually learn how to do it for real. Now I know WaniKani accepts these alternatives since they closely resemble the original, but since I’m a perfectionist I’ve really drilled in all the common mistakes I’ve ever made. Again, not that this is particularly useful since everything online gets auto-corrected anyway–I just thought it was a neat little bonus, at least in my own case.

17 Likes

That’s a cool little side bonus! Personally I’ve just given up on some of them like phemonoenon phenomeonon phenomenon and reconassaince reconnaisance reconnaissance but props to you for focusing on spelling :+1:

3 Likes

Well, that’s interesting, it’s completely the opposite for me.Thanks to Wanikani my spelling is getting worse and worse !

Because Wanikani is so lenient for English words, especially for long words, and because I want to go as fast as possible during review, every time a long word is coming I just more or less smash my keyboards roughly where the letters of that words are. I just end up writing phenoiemoebn or reconmnaisnace and move on :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

My 6th grade English teacher never did get around to explaining why this is “a rat” of a word, but it’s ensured I never forget the spelling!

5 Likes

And the audacity wk has when it won’t accept my “articles of incormaptonps” or “aricles of incomrpaitons” for the word 定款 :angrymami:

4 Likes

yes, I finally learned how to spell convenient with the help of WK

2 Likes

Not going to bother to look up what these scrambled words are, but I do think for shorter words, WK should be less lenient, and more lenient for longer words…

Maybe use the Levenshtein* distance

*Although someone would probably spell that as Levenshieten or something…

3 Likes

It should be “articles of incorporation” :laughing:

3 Likes

I love Leviathan distance!

2 Likes

3 Likes

Hm. My speling was already inpeckable, so I find myshelf intentitionally mispeling words in wanikani when I know it’s close enourgh to be excepted.

3 Likes

hom. my speling was already inpeckable, so di fidn cmyshlef kintentitionally mispeling words in wanikani when li know itc’s close enoursgh ito bke etptecxed.

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat. Just type fast “yush, looks good enough” - enter - praying that it is good enough to still pass. That’s why I have hilarious screenshots like “police boy” instead of “police box”. Ain’t nobody got the time for those little details.
A pass is a pass.

1 Like

I have give up on mediteerean sea … yep i don’t know how to spell it. But i know what it means at least.

3 Likes

As a non-native english speaker it does increase my english vocabulary aswell.

Nice side-effect

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.