Aquatic Life Appreciation Thread 🐳 🐠 🐙

I love it when animals are transparent, it’s so cool to see the inner workings!

5 Likes

Arctic Cod 北極鱈 ほっきょくだら

6 Likes

Click-baity title, but it was a really interesting read. Never heard about these lanternfish, nor about the discussion on whether to fish them or not - nor about the potential consequences of doing so. :eyes:

4 Likes

Video footage from the Lembeh Strait レンベ海峡

3 Likes

I don’t have a specific image or video to share right now, but does anyone here also have fond memories of the endless ocean (or I guess, Forever Blue as it was called in Japan) video games?

The first one is my most played Wii game and it totally got me hooked on all things aquatic from a young age!
(that being said I think the trench area gave me a fear of dark underwater spaces… I tried playing Subnautica on switch and when I realised I had to go into the murky Reaper leviathan-filled water, I ended up never playing more)

2 Likes

I loved playing both Endless Ocean games, though #2 a bit more. So calming and relaxing. :smiling_face: At first the sharks might give you a bit of a scare, but really, you won’t get in much trouble even if you get bitten. After all, you only loose a tiny bit of air-time and you can always go back to the boat and start a new dive. :diving_mask:

images

Coelacanth!
hqdefault

2 Likes

I have the second game!
It was weirdly hard to find, apparently it didn’t sell a lot in Europe but my mum managed to find a copy on ebay (:sob: I can’t believe a Wii game still cost £20 in 2020…)

I need to get around to playing it but the Wii was connected to the living room TV and ever since we got a dog, gaming is quite difficult because whenever you sit down he tries to jump up on you and see what you’re doing! :rofl:

2 Likes

How cool is this? Sea anemone living on the underside of an ice floe in the Antarctic! :astonished:

Possibly a new fish species. Brittle stars and sea squirts in the background.

Giant Antarctic Sea Spider. It’s an example of polar gigantism: creatures that exist elsewhere in the world, grows especially large in the polar regions.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/wpy/gallery/2021-creation?tags=ed.current

6 Likes

Oh it looks like it’s made of ice, how pretty! :astonished: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m so curious about how it lives its life lol, like I have so many questions

This, on the other hand, is terrifying :joy:

4 Likes

Not a favorite documentary creator, but I still found this one intriguing about bogs and moors, which is often overlooked as aquatic habitats for a variety of species. :slight_smile:

New vocab: (from Jisho)
bog; marsh; swamp; quagmire; morass​: 泥沼 どろぬま
marsh; swamp; wetland; bog; pond​: 沼 ぬま

3 Likes

What better way to bring the spooky into this thread than with some rare deep sea creatures! :ghost: Don’t mind me, I’m just a tad excited about the upcoming Halloween! XD

This footage is taken off the coast of Japan. The discoveries were done with unmanned research submarines.

I tried to find the fishies in this video, even though I know they’re very recent discoveries. I at least found some wiki- and Smithsonian links if anyone is interested:

I found nothing on Flota. :eyes:

5 Likes

I found this a very relaxing and beautiful video of swamp life. No talk, just nature sounds and footage! :relaxed:

The featured animals are in the video description with timestamps, if anyone wondered. Here’s an attempt by me to find out what these creatures are called in Japanese (from Jisho and JP Wikipedia):

00:10:10 Water strider 水黽 あめんぼ
00:11:37 Eurasian wigeon 緋鳥鴨 ひどりがも
00:16:12 Grass snake, water snake ヨーロッパ山棟蛇 ヨーロッパヤマカガシ
00:35:26 Mallard 真鴨 まがも
00:40:56 Beaver ビーバー
00:42:29 White wagtail タイリクハクセキレイ
00:45:32 Great spotted woodpecker 赤啄木鳥 あかげら
00:51:33 Common sandpiper 磯鷸 いそしぎ
01:12:59 Fieldfare ノハラツグミ
01:26:43 Whinchat マミジロノビタキ
01:27:48 Western marsh harrier ヨーロッパチュウヒ
01:33:35 Great egret 大鷺 だいさぎ
01:34:00 Roe deer 獐 のろ
01:58:30 Northern shoveler 嘴広鴨 はしびろがも
02:00:22 Eurasian coot 大鷭 おおばん
02:02:39 Red-necked grebe アカエリカイツブリ
02:21:12 Western yellow wagtail ツメナガセキレイ
02:28:36 Great crested grebe 冠鳰 かんむりかいつぶり
03:01:53 Swan 白鳥 はくちょう
03:08:32 Grey heron 青鷺 あおさぎ
03:12:13 European herring gull 背黒鴎 せぐろかもめ

3 Likes

This is a bit niche, but if anyone’s into horror and visual novels, there’s a really great aquatic themed VN on steam called "Sound of Drop - fall into poison - ", and you can also read it in japanese, if you want to practice your reading skills.There’s a lot of different fish names and the plot is really good, so if you’re up for a challenge maybe give it a try! ^ー^ :cherry_blossom:

6 Likes

Multiposting this one:

Basically, I got a YT recommendation of this Alaskan national park live feed. :eyes: I took a look and there’s brown bear cubs breast feeding from their mom and all sorts of stuff going on! Nature is so beautiful! :sob: <3 :bear: (also brown bear cubs are so sloppy eaters! :joy: )

https://community.wanikani.com/t/the-poll-from-mercury/58859/5999?u=ekg

Loots of footage of the salmon making their way up the river as well. ^>^ Not sure if this live cam is always of the waterfalls, or just this time of year as they are expecting the salmon to return to their breeding grounds and the brown beers to look for food! XD

EDIT: I’m reading the video details now and yeah, apparenlty Brooks Falls in Katmai National Park is a known location where you’ll get to see brown bears catch salmon as they migrate upriver! :slight_smile:

And so there’s this solar-powered live-came in place. And they film when they have enough sun-light to do so. :sun_behind_small_cloud:

I’m seriously surprised ANY salmon make their way upriver with this sort of offensive force waiting for them as they swim upriver! O_O

5 Likes

Apparently, there’s been a photo contest with some really cool microscope images of various creatures, including some aquatic ones. :slight_smile: :microbe: :microscope:

A 2-month-old juvenile sea star. (Dr. Laurent Formery/Courtesy Nikon Small World

6 Likes

Another good video of the Lembeh Strait. This one has quite a bit of footage of young fishies. It’s quite a feat to spot those tiny, tiny fish!

There is no commentary, but for names of most of the fish shown here, watch the Bubble Vision Lembeh Strait video I already posted. :eyes: I recognized a lot of fish in this, from what I’ve seen there. :slight_smile:

Pikachuu! :3 :durtle_yellow_rodent:

3 Likes

Kurzgesagt vid about the depth of the ocean. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This documentary is about he Coral Triangle, which is perceived as a major cradle of biological diversity of marine life. :tropical_fish: :turtle: :fish::whale2: :dolphin: :shrimp:

4 Likes

Octopus and their pocket sand

5 Likes

til that there are coral nurseries!

3 Likes