Aquatic Life Appreciation Thread 🐳 🐠 🐙

白鳥【はくちょう】swan &
鯉【こい】 carp
koi swans
(I guess they’re feeding the koi and the swans are getting in on the action. )

koi

14 Likes

Kinda looks like they’re feeding the swans, but the swans are feeding it to the koi instead.

10 Likes

I guess that’s also a possibility! ^^;

Here’re some nice 烏賊【いか】cuttlefish, squid. I wish I knew the individual types of squid in Japanese. If anyone knows, please share!
44d2853b36b5126814227a59582241e2

DGcW

Giant squid 大王烏賊 だいおういか or ダイオウイカ
ung0ayskepnj3u0jmjfr

Vampire squid コウモリダコ bd6aa315ec2aabe1c6b61738bcaeccca

Pyjamas squid
tumblr_mjzxo5Ks4W1qe6e6jo1_400

26 Likes

What elderitch horrors tasty dishes in waiting *ahem* beautiful creatures

:yum:

I appreciate marine life as well…

19 Likes

I must confess that I’m a huge fan of calamari as well. :joy:

Now, you’ve made me hungry! Those dishes look soo yum! :yum:

9 Likes

There is this guy who does fabulous underwater videos, sharing them on his YouTube channel Bubble Vision. He’s an amateur videographer, but does some truly amazing close-up videos of marine life! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

Here, have some deadly sea creatures :joy:

Blue-ringed octopus

octopus

Lion Fish

lionfish

Nudibranch

nudibranch

Beaked sea snake

sea snake

Cone Snail

Smooth Trunkfish

19 Likes

Here are some of the fish names in Japanese from Jisho:

Red lion fish: 歯並蓑笠子 はなみのかさご or ハナミノカサゴ
Blue-ringed octopus: 豹紋蛸 ひょうもんだこ or ヒョウモンダコ
Nudibranch (family of seas slugs): 裸鰓類 らさいるい
Seaslug: 海牛 うみうし or ウミウシ [sea cow :joy:]

3 Likes

Thanks!

Also…

isn’t this also a sea cow? :joy:

8 Likes

Yep, nudibranchs in particular are known for their vicious nature :wink:

3 Likes

Whales are so amazing and I used to want to become a marine biologist just so it would be my job to study these incredible animals.

15 Likes

Pygmy seahorse (cute!) :heart:
pygmy seahorse

Moorish Idol 角出 つのだし or ツノダシ

Nemo, no, I mean Clownfish 熊の実 (or is that “bear truth” :joy:) くまのみ or クマノミ
clownfish

18 Likes

Sea bunny :rabbit: I have no idea what they’re called in Japanese :joy:

21 Likes

Cute!!! :grin: :blue_heart:

I really like the Japanese legend about orcas or killer whales. Majestic creatures and quite intelligent! :nerd_face: In Japanese they’re called 鯱 しゃち or シャチ

51ddc73906cc9e93a3b6074f25eca64a

giphy
(just hanging out with one’s friends :sunglasses: )*
tumblr_m8ur24NTYu1rdt98to1_500

*In reality, I think they are looking for penguins=food=nom nom :sweat_smile: )

16 Likes

You don’t need to be vicious to be deadly.

3 Likes

Gorgeous but cruel, aren’t they? But who am I to judge?

Summary

2 Likes

“Thus we see the parts of the plan fall into place: the water receiving from earth and air the simple materials, storing them up until the gathering energy of the spring sun wakens the sleeping plants to a burst of dynamic activity, hungry swarms of plank-tonic animals growing and multiplying upon the abundant plants, and themselves falling prey to the shoals of fish; all, in the end, to be redissolved into their component substances when the inexorable laws of the sea demand it. Individual elements are lost to view, only to reappear again and again in different incarnations in a kind of material immortality. Kindred forces to those which, in some period inconceivably remote, gave birth to that primeval bit of protoplasm tossing on the ancient seas continue their mighty and incomprehensible work. Against this cosmic background the life span of a particular plant or animal appears, not as a drama complete in itself, but only as a brief interlude in a panorama of endless change.”

– Rachel Carson, from the book “Lost Woods: The Discovered Writing of Rachel Carson”

:blue_heart:

2 Likes

Oh, another nature thread. XD

6 Likes

Welcome to the thread! ^>^

More sea slugs 海牛 うみうし or ウミウシ, because they’re dangerously beautiful!
34a5e7ed2193dd85c28858e4f1943c1f

seaslu4

seaslugs

seaslug 2

9332567133609a6d9b10d43afba9a0b7
(I only recognize this last one from having played Endless Ocean 2 (Wii) :joy: If only I remembered the name, white-striped something something (?)…:sweat_smile: )

23 Likes

Some googling later…It appears this rather popular sea slug does have a Japanese name “gomafu biroodo umiushi, which loosely translates to black speckled velvet sea slug” according to some unverified source.* At least the last part should be right, it is a 海牛.

Also:

*source Bushy-Tailed "Sea Bunnies" Are the Cutest Slugs Everyone is Falling in Love With

5 Likes