🐉 極主夫道 ・The Way of the Househusband, Volume 1 (Beginner Book Club)

Welcome to 極主夫道 ・The Way of the Househusband Volume 1

Note: We read Volume 1 as the Beginner Book Club!, and are continuing to read as an offshoot book club.

If you want to take part, just buy the book and join in the discussion! We also recommend setting this thread to ‘watching’ so that you get notified when the discussion threads are posted. Although we’ve moved on to later volumes, the threads stay open as long as they are active, so feel free to post comments and questions!

Not sure if this is for you? Check out the Nomination Post and read the first chapter for free on bookwalker - remember that your fellow book club members and the vocab sheet will be here to help you out though!

Buy the Book

Physical | CDJapan

eBook | BookWalker | Kindle

If you haven’t used Amazon JP before, note that you will need a separate account.
CDJapan has (slow) economy shipping options available so is usually cheaper.

Reading Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter End Page Page Count
Wk 1 04 Dec Chapters 1-2 31 28
Wk 2 11 Dec Chapters 3-4 59 28
Wk 3 18 Dec Chapters 5-6 89 30
Wk 4 25 Dec Chapter 7 105 16
Wk 5 01 Jan Chapters 8-9 137 32
Wk 6 08 Jan Bonus 1-3 161 24

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion, please select ‘yes’!

Please read the editing guidelines before contributing!

23 Likes

I pretty much stuck with @Radish8 's BBC home thread template, I hope you’ll forgive the plagiarism :innocent:

Regarding the schedule, here’s what the six week schedule I proposed in the main thread would look like:

Wk 4 25 Dec Chapters 7-8 121 32
Wk 5 01 Jan Chapter 9, Bonus 1 147 26
Wk 6 08 Jan Bonus 2-3 161 14

Since the holidays around Christmas can be a busy time for some people, I wanted to check in if people wanted a one-week break around that time anyways. Another option would be to only read one chapter in week 4 and then read all three bonus chapters in week 6. The schedule would look something like this:

Wk 4 25 Dec Chapter 7 105 16
Wk 5 01 Jan Chapters 8-9 137 32
Wk 6 08 Jan Bonus 1-3 161 24

Which option would everyone prefer?

How many chapters do you want to read in Week 4?
  • None (1 week break)
  • One chapter
  • Two chapters
  • I have another idea (please comment)

0 voters

8 Likes

Two quick questions:

• How slow is CDJapan? Is it like Alibaba slow? If I order this week, will a physical copy arrive in Europe by December?
  • Does anyone know of an online bookstore in Europe that would be selling physical copies of 極主夫道?I tried Verasia, but they don’t have it :frowning: .

I’m asking because my plan is to slowly start accruing books and manga in Japanese :smiley: .

4 Likes

They have several shipping options, ranging from taking a few days to a few weeks, but getting it by December is definitely realistic. In my experience, the limiting factor is usually how long the package gets stuck in customs :sweat_smile:

Oh, and a quick word of warning: Sometimes on CDJapan the express shipping options by DHL and Fedex can be almost the same price or even cheaper than the economy options. But they (as in DHL/Fedex) usually send you a very nice letter/email after a few days asking you to pay an extra 12 euros for their fast-track customs service :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

I’ve been looking for another manga to read and this might just be the book club to get back into it :slight_smile:

Gonna try my best to keep up with this one. Last one (やがきみ) I joined late planning to catch up with the volume 2 book club, kept up until halfway through volume 1, then forgot about for a good long while before binge-reading all 8 volumes :joy:

5 Likes

Alternatively, if you’re fine with preowned (because used stuff is super quality here still) and using a proxy service, BOOKOFF online has really cheap prices. I got all my JoJo (~60 volumes) from it for between ¥15,000-18,000.

4 Likes

I’d also like to recommend Manga Republic they have used and new copies of manga with the shipping cost already in the book price. They do ship a bit slower though. I’ve had books come between 2-3 weeks usually, but that’s to the US, so I’m unsure of shipping speed to Europe.

3 Likes

I tried to google it but the manga-republic.com returned a 404 error message. Do you have a link by chance?

2 Likes

Works for me, link to volume 1

3 Likes

Maybe they forcibly don’t sell to Japan?
This is what I see.

I’ll have to try looking next time I use my VPN.

2 Likes

Doesn’t seem to be it - at least, if I use a JP-based VPN I can just pull up the site.

I think this is what scientists sometimes call “a bit weird” :sweat_smile:

3 Likes
5 Likes

That’s so weird. I know their whole thing is to make manga more accessible to people outside of Japan, so maybe they don’t sell in Japan? The link you posted worked for me. :sweat_smile:

Edit: :joy: :joy: I’ve never heard the full song apparently lol

4 Likes

Then Yami shouldn’t have been able to access the site while using a vpn :thinking:

It’s a good song isn’t it? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This reminds me of how https://united-states.kinokuniya.com/ always brings up “403 Forbidden” for me, even though I’m in the US. (Except, even using a VPN to other countries, I still get that error.)

5 Likes

I did enjoy the song :joy: and yeah this is so strange. Maybe the universe has decided to block you and @ChristopherFritz from certain manga sites :sweat_smile: :joy:

4 Likes

I will be joining in!
I’ve ordered the book.
I’m jumping in over my head, but it’ll be nice to be able to ‘read’ along at the same time as the club.

7 Likes

Oddly enough, that one does load for me lol!

3 Likes

It’s really fine. I live in Japan, so I can just walk over to a physical bookstore lol. I just like buying used since the quality in Japan is still great and the prices are cheap.

I’ve already got the 1st two volumes :slight_smile: if I didn’t already own it, I wouldn’t have joined the club honestly.

3 Likes

OMG but the video :joy_cat:
and I thought all bad music videos were from the 80’s :grin:

Anyways, I actually came here to say that the first three volumes are currently heavily discounted on Bookwalker (actual discount, no cashback!)

Vol. 1 is 100 Yen (+ tax if you are in Japan)
Vol. 2+3 are 270 Yen (+ tax if you are in Japan)

until 2021-11-10T14:59:00Z

7 Likes