極主夫道 | Week 4 Discussion

Chapter 7

Start Date: 25 December
Last Week: Here
Next Week: Here

極主夫道 ・The Way of the Househusband Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines before contributing!

Useful resources

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: texthere
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).
  • To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this point yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

7 Likes

Another hilarious chapter. I filled in the vocab spreadsheet (first time doing so in a bookclub :blush:).

Finally, all that time playing Hanafuda in Clubhouse Games for the Switch paid off! :joy: If only I played more Mahjong in there, I would have known the pon one as well without having to look it up. But in my defense, Mahjong is hard!

Interestingly, the version in the video game above is just called “Hanafuda”. However, when I looked it up to be sure, it seems that the version of Hanafuda where you can call “koi-koi” is actually a variant that is itself called “Koi-Koi”.

10 Likes

Wow, you did a great job too! You answered my main question before I even asked it (半か丁か), and if I’d checked the spreadsheet first you would have saved me a lot of time on instant glue. :joy:

6 Likes

Whenever there is a bunch of kanji strung together like in that second example, my first instinct is to just throw it all into Jisho and see what comes out :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

That’s what I did, but had to look up most (all?) of the kanji by radical, then copy/paste to Jisho, then back to my dictionary … :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Ah, gotcha. If it makes you feel any better, these kanji are all in WaniKani. So in time, you’ll be able to read and type words like this even if you don’t know what they mean. That’ll make looking them up easier :grin:

Even words with kanji that aren’t in WaniKani become easier to look up, because you think, “well, this kanji looks like this other one I know, so let’s try using the same reading as that one”, and often it will be the same! I did that recently with 秘訣, where I guessed the second kanji was read けつ since it looks like 決 and that was right.

So, it does get easier!

5 Likes

Thanks! I seem to be one of the book club participants with the lowest WK level :sweat_smile: but that’s okay! It’s still going pretty good, even with hardly any furigana. Just a little bit extra sleuthing from time to time. :blush:

7 Likes
Chapter 7 translation

91。
そうなの急にPTAの仕事が入っちゃってぇうちの亮太少し預かってくれない?
Well, listen, there is an emergency PTA thing, can you look after my Ryota for a little while?
はいいいですよ
Yes, sure
本当!?助かるう
Really? You saved me!
いい子にしてなよ!
You, behave yourself!
たまに見る怖そうなおじさんだ。。。
This is one scary-looking guy …
92。
さぁて。。。亮太くん何して遊ぼか?
Hmm, Ryota-kun, what should we play?
93。
お世話になりました
I’m very grateful to you
ん?おい待ったんかい
What? Hold on!
甘いのいらんか?
Do you want sweets?
94。
さっきクッキー焼いた所なんや
I just finished baking some cookies
。。。これおじさんが作ったの?
Did you make these yourself?
超うめぇ
Super delicious!
焼いといて良かった
Thank god I baked them in advance
よっしゃ なんかゲームでもしょか
Alrighty, what kind of game should we play?
え!ゲームあるの!?
Ah? You have games?
おつゲーム好きなんか
What games do you like?
あのね あのね 僕モリオカー超得意な。。。ん
I’m, I’m, I’m very good at Morio Kart // Did they use Morio not Mario on purpose?
半か丁か
Odd and even
こいこい ポン ピンゾロ
Koi-Koi。。。 。Pon。。。 Snake eyes。。。
思ってたのと違う!!!
I thought we’ll be playing different games!
もしかしてねえちゃんとかおった方が良かったんか。。。?
Perhaps, it would be better if some girl took care of him?
あっこれ ポリキュアのコバルトポリスだ!!
Oh, this is Polycure Cobalt Police!
どーしたぁ
What!??
ケガしてへんか亮太くん!
Are you hurt, Ryota-kun?
ご。。。ごめんなさい。。。これ。。。これは。。。
S-s-sorry…this… this is
嫁が大事にしとるポリキュアのなんたらかんたら
My wife treasures this Polycure what’s her name.
。。。おい!おい!!しっかりせぇっ!!
Hey! Hey! Get a grip!
ポリキュアの青いのぉ!!!
You blue Polycure thing!
ど。。。どうしょう
What are we going to do…
心配すんな ケツモチは任せろ
Don’t’ worry Leave it to me to clean after you
失敗は誰にでもある
Everybody makes mistakes
大事なのはその後。。。 どう取り返すかや
What’s important is whether you can fix then after or not
うちの組長もよう言うとった
That’s what my boss used to say
やってもうたんたら埋めたらぇぇ
If you made a mess, you bury it.
あれー何してんの?
Huh? What are you doing?
瞬間接着剤
Super glue

4 Likes

Yes. Nintendo is notoriously lawsuit-happy, so they have to use a fake name to dodge troubles.

4 Likes

This is gonna be a quick one, I don’t have much to remark on this time :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

No corrections on this one, but one point of note: both 急 and 入っちゃってぇ express it’s something that came up suddenly.

This feels both a bit forced with the explicit mention of “in advance” and a bit strong with “thank god” - you’ve got the idea, but the “in advance” meaning of ~ておく doesn’t necessarily mean “in preparation for something” or whatever, just something you did beforehand. Considering the previous sentence and this being a surprise visit, something like “good thing I baked these” is enough.

なんか is something along the lines of “something like …” - so this is Tatsu suggesting playing the game (and being open to other suggestions), not so much him asking what kind of game to play (which would be strange anyway considering what follows).

Yes - in addition to the lawsuit-happy nature of Nintendo as mentioned by @MrGeneric, it’s just common practice to slightly change popular brand names, so you’ll get things like WcDonald’s, Bepsi and Burger Queen.

Japan doesn’t have fair use laws around copyright, so making use of a company name legal in any way, shape or form requires written approval from said company. Most publishers and authors opt to change the name in favour of going through the hassle.

ケツモチ refers to something like the Yakuza cleanup crew (referring to disposing of evidence and such), so I’d say this is more like “leave it to the cleaners” - but it’s not wrong per se, since he does mean himself

どう is how rather than if, so this is “how you make things right” rather than “whether you can fix them or not”

I gotta say, you’re making noticeable progress :slight_smile: It’s mostly some nuances and minor things here and there but no outright mistakes (as far as I can tell anyway), and your only point of (mild) confusion was the use of Morio instead of Mario. Do you notice reading this manga is getting easier for you by this point?

5 Likes

Believe me I had many other confusions along the way:slight_smile:The biggest one is why reading Japanese is so difficult. With this manga I rely on pictures so much. The text here is also very colloquial (plus dialect), so harshly different from beginner grammar textbooks like Genki.

I feel more comfortable reading now then let’s say a year or two ago, when having kanji without furigana would make such text out of reach for me. I should probably acknowledge to myself that I’m making some progress.

Thank you for your feedback!

5 Likes