極主夫道 | Week 5 Discussion

Chapter 8 and 9

Start Date: 01 January
Last Week: Here
Next Week: Here

極主夫道 ・The Way of the Househusband Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines before contributing!

Useful resources

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: texthere
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).
  • To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this point yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

5 Likes

p107 Sorry if this is a silly question to start off the discussion. 気いつけんかい I’m guessing that it is some Kansai ben variation of 気をつけてね. Can anyone unpick it for me?

7 Likes

I’ll attempt it! But keep in mind I’m also a beginner and certainly no expert in slangy Japanese. Any corrections are very welcome!

page 107

I believe it’s actually 気ぃ rather than 気い, making the phrase: 気ぃつけんかい

気ぃ = 気を with a heavy drawl
つけん = つけるの, I believe it’s pretty standard for the る to be glossed over and の to become ん
かい = か

気をつけるのか = loosely, “why don’t you look where you’re going”

11 Likes

p118 The gangster says カシラ as he heads off in ?disgust. Any suggestions? かしら is a sentence ender meaning “I wonder; do you think?; I might; how about​”, but I don’t think that fits.

5 Likes

So far I have one question for chapter eight…

page 112

自分で片つけんのが筋ちゃうんか!

I’m wondering about 筋ちゃう. Does anyone know what the reading is in this instance? Or, I don’t know … what is happening linguistically? I’m expecting 筋 to be part of a verb, but I can’t figure out what the verb could be at all.

5 Likes

I’m probably wrong, but I understood ちゃう here as a version of なくてはいけない contracted to なくちゃ. To fix it yourself you got to have muscles?

5 Likes

My understanding is that カシラ (lit. “head”) can be used to refer to your chief / boss.

My interpretation was that 筋 is being used in the “reason / logic” sense.

ちゃう would be the informal version of じゃない (“isn’t it?”)

自分で片つけんのが筋ちゃうんか! => “It follows reason that you clean the mess yourself, doesn’t it!? (since he got in the mess himself)”

7 Likes

Just finished these chapters - had a lot of fun with the second one; Tatsu and Miku have a really sweet relationship

I feel like the kansai-ben is starting to just blend in without me having to as consciously think about it too much - especially the やs and へんs

Might have sort have also read the rest of the volume because I was having fun and got a bit carried away, oops

7 Likes

Page 129, lower right side, アヤつけようっちゅうんか as he brandishes the golf club … Does anyone know what it means? I got nuthin.

7 Likes

I think アヤつけ is from 文を付ける (to make a false accusation). よう might be よく? ちゃう is usually じゃない I think but I don’t know whether that still goes considering it’s っちゃう - could just be the way he’s talking though.

I know よく with a negative verb is “can’t …” but I’m not sure if that works with the copula as well… and I wouldn’t know what to make of all of that anyway.

…That’s about as far as I got. I can attempt to un-kansai-ben it to maybe あやをつけられないんか but I can’t make sense of that in context.

10 Likes

Ohh, that’s great! I think あやをつけられないんか could be like … “I’m receiving false accusations is the thing, isn’t it?” … sort of thing?

Wish I could give more than one heart on a comment! :blush:

7 Likes

Well, the thing about that つけられない based on よう+negative in kansai-ben is it’s gonna be the potential form, not the passive. So I’m really not sure how to interpret that sentence :sweat_smile: I’m probably either missing something really obvious, or I’m dead wrong. Or both :joy:

6 Likes

アヤをつける looks like it is yakuza slang. It is explained on this page - though I confess that I am not much the wiser because my Japanese isn’t good enough (and google translate isn’t helping…). Does it help anyone else?

7 Likes

p126 Miku calls Tatsu a "ちょびヒゲグラサン” small moustache and sunglasses It looks like a fairly biting insult, but does anyone know where it comes from or what it means in this context?

7 Likes

I’d translate their definitions (clumsily) as

言いがかりをつける - to accuse someone falsely; to make a false charge
因縁をつけたり文句を言う - to invent a pretext for a quarrel and complain

Not sure about the third one, but I think @yamitenshi 's “to make a false accusation” seems like a pretty good translation of that phrase :+1:

6 Likes

p136 Miku says, on bended knee “お縄をゲットだよ” Get the rope? I’m presuming this isn’t supposed to be kinky. Some of the pages online that I found seemed to refer to お縄 as a police rope and to capturing a criminal. Is that the meaning here?

7 Likes

Tatsu is just as confused by that one. Considering she has him say that while striking a pose, I think it’s a quote from the show and this is her nerding out over it.

お縄 can refer to making an arrest, which is probably the meaning used here.

Quick note about ゲット, it’s something I mostly see in the context of gacha games and such - it’s not really about fetching something, more so about coming into possession of something. So you could say something like SSRゲット meaning you got an SSR character or something of the sort. I’ve also seen it used similarly in some manga - like when taking a cute picture of someone.

I think this might actually be the more relevant meaning considering the golf club - essentially “picking a fight”

Keep in mind たり doesn’t mean you do both, it mean you do either or something similar, so it’s more “inventing a pretext for a quarrel, complaining, or something like that”

I’m not sure how よう fits in here precisely but coupled with ちゃうんか I think he’s saying something like “you aren’t picking a fight [with me], are you?”

EDIT: Actually it might just be the volitional form. That makes sense to me, I’m just not entirely sure how to translate it :joy:

I took this as her just insulting his looks. She’s frustrated with him for not letting her make frivolous purchases and is throwing a tantrum, basically. You can imagine excalmation points after each bubble - ちょびヒゲ!グラサン!

They come off as very childish insults to me, which fits the tantrum.

9 Likes

I think you hit on something with that volitional thing.

Also, it’s not ちゃう, it’s ちゅう, which is in the kansaiben index as meaning と言う

アヤをつけようっちゅうんか

文をつけようと言うんか
Maybe:

Are you saying you want to pick a fight?

??

8 Likes

In other news, I’m an idiot and I can’t read good :joy:

Yeah, that makes perfect sense now. Man, what a wild goose chase this has been :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Heck no. We’ve seen ちゃう several times, but this is the first time for ちゅぅ.

5 Likes