老女的少女ひなたちゃん・Little Granny Girl Hinata-chan 👩‍👧 ー Started March 9th (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Welcome to the 老女的少女ひなたちゃん・Little Granny Girl Hinata-chan Book Club!

View this book on Natively!

This is the main thread for reading the manga along with the Absolute Beginner Book Club here on the forums. If you have a bit of experience with Japanese, but you are still easing into reading, then this would be a good place to start! If you have questions about whether or not you think you’re ready, feel free to ask them here, or in the ABBC main thread, but also please check out @ChristopherFritz’s guide for joining the Absolute beginner book club.

The scheduled read of volume 1 with the ABBC is now finished. However, the threads are still open so feel free to share your thoughts or ask questions in the weekly threads.

There’s also the offshoot club if you want to read volume 2 onwards.

Anilist

With a taste for the finer things in life, a mind chock full of knowledge and a solution for every problem, Hinata isn’t your average kindergartener. She has a secret. Hinata is actually an 88-year-old grandma, reborn into the body of a little girl with all her memories intact! She loves pickled vegetables and enjoying a nice cup of tea on the veranda while disciplining her peers with her authoritative, old-fashioned dialect. Why has she been reborn?! Find out in this cute, nostalgic comedy filled with grandma-wisdom!

View the nomination post here for some preview pages

Where to purchase

Digital: Amazon Kindle JP | Rakuten | BookWalker
Physical: Amazon JP | CD Japan | Amazon US | Honto | Kinokuniya JP

Schedule

Week # Date Chapter Page #s Pages with Text
1 March 9th 1 pt 1 3-9 6
2 March 16th 1 pt 2 10-15 6
3 March 23rd 1 pt 3 16-22 8
4 March 30th 2 pt 1 23-31 9
5 April 6th 2 pt 2 32-40 9
6 April 13th 3 pt 1 41-49 9
7 April 20th 3 pt 2 50-60 9
8 April 27th 4 61-78 17
9 May 4th 5 79-94 16
10 May 11th 6 95-112 17
11 May 18th 7 113-132 16
12 May 25th 8 133-150 17
13 June 1st 9 + bonus 151-174 21

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Live Readings

Updated invite link

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Digital Page Numbers

Please note that page numbers as reported by software for digital copies may not line up with the page numbers of the physical book. The page numbers listed in the schedule are based on the physical copy, and should be present on the pages themselves on your digital copy every 10 or so pages. Weekly threads will include the last panel to help you find the stopping point.

For bookwalker, digital page numbers in the UI are 3 higher than physical page numbers. Other providers may vary.

Proper Nouns

Name Reading Image Notes
日向 ひなた image Main character
文夏 もか image Hinata’s classmate (Note, you’ll often see her name written as モカ)
千春 ちはる image Hinata’s classmate

Other characters may be added later

Resources

Just one note on Hinata’s dialogue. She’ll often end her sentences with っぺ or ぺ。This is supposed to be like an old person dialect thing, but one made up just for this book.

Membership

Will you be reading with us?
  • Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Maybe
  • No
0 voters
Which version will you be reading?
  • eBook
  • Paperback
  • Hardcover
0 voters

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching in order to be notified when weekly threads get posted!

23 Likes

I fell off the book club and most other Japanese-learning activities when we around halfway through horimiya due to Various Life Events but I’m back to my normal rhythm now and look forward to joining in again with this book :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Same here! Welcome back. I’m excited to read along with the group as well.

12 Likes

For me it will be my first book that I read with others (more than just a few pages). I thought about joining the ABBC here already a few times already but I never felt like I had time for it (even tough I probably just didn’t take the time). I don’t think that this changed a lot, but I still want to try and see :smiling_face: and also the manga sounds so cute, so I’m definitely looking forward to it!

13 Likes

Welcome! There’s a whole thread with tips for first timers, but two quick things to help:

1. Don’t be afraid to ask questions! People on the weekly threads will be willing to help you out.
  2. Don’t feel you have to understand every sentence completely and all the grammatical reasons why it is the way it is (unless you want to).
10 Likes

Hi, thanks for the tip! I read the thread already and I think I will do fine (at least I hope so - I cannot really tell my level as I never learned with genki nor bothered about the JLPT levels too much). I also looked at some old threads where you talked about the books and I saw how helpful you all are. I guess I’m in good hands here :yum:

11 Likes

So excited for this challenge! I just ordered the manga.

10 Likes

I’m not sure if I’ll be able to keep up, but I’ll be joining! It seems so cute, that I can’t just not try to read it with y’all :grin:

8 Likes

Cool! I’ll just post a note of encouragement I made from another thread. Frustration is inevitable–giving up isn’t!

13 Likes

Hi everyone. I will be joining the book club for the first time and am very excited to read along with all of you!

Also – thanks for sharing for the first timers tips. Will give those a read before we start.

18 Likes

Thank you so much for the encouragement! :blush:
Luckily, I’m a pretty consistent person now, and I learned to manage my frustration pretty well!
That being said :eyes: :eyes:, if I struggle with the reading, and can’t find the grammar I need, I’ll be spamming the forum until someone explains to me the thing I don’t understand :joy: :rofl:
(Shouldn’t be happening often though, I usually just ask people I know)

9 Likes

This will be my very first book club!!
Looking forward to it.

7 Likes

@araigoshi, if you’d like, I can generate a prepopulated spreadsheet as I’ve done for some prior ABBC picks.

10 Likes

Sure, that would be very useful. I’d seen you’d linked your tools in another thread, so it was on my to-do list to try set them up and run them, but realistically that would have been late next week at the earliest.

4 Likes

Minor page number issue here; should be 41 for the start of chapter 3 / week six.

The spreadsheet is now available:

The following is still pending as I’m waiting to see if there will be any schedule changes. If the schedule is set, then I can complete these.

1. Remove duplicate entries per week.
  2. Split weeks into tabs.
7 Likes

First timer here. Looking forward to reading along with everyone. :partying_face:

10 Likes

Fixed the page number issues.

I don’t think the schedule is going to change at this point, in the ABBC main thread there were some strong opinions against a longer schedule, but not much of a push for a shorter schedule.

6 Likes

The spreadsheet should be good to go now.

7 Likes

I usually order from Manga Republic, if it can be added to list of physical shops. The cost appears high compared to the retail yen price, but their shipping is free . So, may ultimately pay less if you are ordering a single book or a few things. They have used copies as well (USED) Manga Old woman basis little girl Hinata-chan (Obaachan Shoujo Hinata-chan) vol.1 (老女的少女ひなたちゃん 1 (ゼノンコミックス)) / Kuwayoshi Asa | Buy Japanese Manga

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

Here is a quick update in regards to live readings for 老女的少女ひなたちゃん・Little Granny Girl Hinata-chan: Read Aloud Group for the Absolute Beginners Book Club - #12 by KanjiDenji7. Please check this post if you are interested.

6 Likes