可愛いだけじゃない式守さん・ Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie ❤️‍🩹 Week 3 Discussion Thread (Absolute Beginners Book Club)

Welcome to Week 3 of the Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie book club!

We are reading as part of the Absolute Beginner Book Club!

kép

Week 3 December 30 2023
Pages 15-26
Chapter 3-4
Previous Week Week 2
Next week Week 4
Home Thread 可愛いだけじゃない式守さん・ Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie

Vocabulary

可愛いだけじゃない式守さ Volume 1 Vocabulary List - Google Sheets

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Please note that this was auto-generated and might need some additional editing, but it should serve as a solid starting point. If you have any questions/doubts, please post them in this thread!

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Membership

Will you be reading with us this week?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’ve finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m reading this after the book club is already finished
0 voters

For our newer readers

How are you doing so far?
  • It’s going really well
  • It’s going well
  • I’m struggling, but I manage
  • I’m struggling so much I’m thinking of dropping the book
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I have read harder manga/books than tlhis one but I still need to click a poll option
0 voters

Handwritten Text

p16

kép
スゴイ…

p19

kép
なんでこんな日も学校有るの!!

p20

到着
和泉:バンドマンみたいになっちゃったね…
式守:ベーシストみたいでステキだと思います…

p21

ギャアアアア
kép
ムード

:warning:トラウマ注意:warning:
今年見た中で一番怖か(った)
最高傑作としか言えな(い)
ホラー好きにオススメ
kép
イメージ図

p24

kép
まさか
ここまで
怖がるとは
kép
だから

p25

ホラーと
サスペンスが
好きです

アクションは
画面酔いするので
苦手です

p26

ホラー得意だと
思ってたけど
ダメでした

スプラッタは
大丈夫

バディものが
すきだよ

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching if you want to receive notifications for discussion!

9 Likes

There’s a serious step up in speed this week compared to the previous two, from 4 and 5 pages respectively to 12. It’s actually one of the harder weeks of this book club. Let me know how this pace is, especially for those that are new to reading in general.

Remember, nothing is impossible if you do a bit every day instead of trying to force the whole thing into one day.

9 Likes

kép
best ッ ever

10 Likes

ぼくの彼女はとても可愛い・・・

I really like this manga for the ABBC! I feel like the repetitive chapters are helpful. (Or, they must be. Any first time readers have an opinion?)

6 Likes

I agree! I’ve never seen 可愛い in kanji before because in textbook they have always written it in hiragana. Now I could recognize it easily! :smiling_face:

5 Likes
p.18 mid panel

和泉君:周りがなんて言おうと私には関係ないです。
I believe the gist is: I am not concerned with what people around me are saying.

Can someone explain the word ‘なんて’? I’ve Googled it, but I just can’t seem to grasp the meaning and usage of it. On a website I found, it says that it’s supposed to convey modesty.

Also, would the nuance change if, let’s say, ‘なんて’ were replaced with ‘なんでも’ in this sentence?
周りがなんでも言おうと私には関係ないです。

ありがとうございます!

3 Likes

Chapter 3 was cute and funny and I understood much more than I did in chapter 2, かっこいい! I don’t know if it’s because it’s really easier or because the grammar is starting to fall into place for me.

Here are my questions so far:

p15

髪変になってます - Is 髪 the subject (and に marks the word 変)? So does it literally mean “the hair is becoming odd”?

式森さんだって - what does だって mean here?

なんでも和泉さんの方に飛んできますね - Is なんでも the subject of this sentence? “Everything comes flying towards you?”

p16

ゴメンはいらないって - I didn’t understand this part, is it 入らない?

からかわれた - is it the potential or the passive of からかう? I’m not sure which of them makes sense…

式森らんの何もしてあげてないし・・・ - I didn’t understand the end, Is it 上げる?

p18

ぞっと私の傍にいればいい - Does it literally mean “it will be good if you always stay by my side”? (I haven’t studied the ば form yet, in a few weeks I will be wiser :slight_smile: )

周りがなんて言おうと - I understand it means “what the surrounding people say”, but what exactly is なんて? I’m not sure which dictionary definition of either なんて or just て would match the meaning here.
EDIT: Just noticed that @Fukumaru-ka asked about this too.

Thank you everyone for the help and for this fun book club! :blush:

6 Likes
p18

I’ll preface this whole thing with “in this case”, and also, “as far as I know”, so I don’t have to keep writing it.

なんて is essentially short for なにって here. It just means “whatever”. “Whatever the people around me say…”

I’m not sure if it can be replaced with なんでも, my gut tells me no, but I can’t prove it to you why.

2 Likes

Page 18:

The more you look for an answer, the more various answers you’ll discover. That’s because なんて is a bit versatile.

In some cases, なんて has a clause prepended to it.

In other cases, なんて is prepended to a word.

This situation is the latter. You can tell because there is a が particle before it, meaning the なんて cannot be attached to that.

You can see this usage shown on this Maggie-sensei page if you search for the text:

なんて( = 何て = nante) + verb

It’s in the “What / How does it call / What is the name of ~ (casual)” section.

(From there, it’s what @Gorbit99 wrote.)

3 Likes
p15

Yeah, since her hair is being blown by the strong wind, so it looks weird.

Small type, らん instead of さん

だって here is probably “even/too”. As in “Shikimori-san’s weird too”, though of course that sounds a bit weird in English.

Yep yep

p16

The whole thing is important here

ゴメンはいらないっていつも言ってるじゃないですか!

Now, you can see the って after the いらない part, that’s a casual quotation particle, quoting the entire sentence before it, so let’s put in the quotation marks

「ゴメンはいらない」っていつも言ってるじゃないですか!

Here the quoted part breaks down into words as
ゴメン - “sorry”

いらない - negative of いる, here “to need, to be necessary”

“Sorry isn’t needed” or in English “You don’t have to apologize”

rest is
いつも always
言ってる is saying
じゃないですか aren’t I

“Didn’t I tell you that you don’t need to apologize?” is the English meaning

Passive, “to be bullied by”. You can know this, because it says “クラスの人に” which means “by the classmates”, the doerに is a telltale sign there.

This is the “give someone something” あげる, this one

p18

Yep yep

Yeah, just answered this.

7 Likes
These two are going to keep making me recall this one line from Rental Oniichan, aren't they?

English: Rather than “I’m sorry” from you (Kanami), I’d be happy if I could hear “thank you”.

5 Likes

Thank you so much, @Gorbit99! :blush:

Oh, I didn’t think of this いる, now I understand.

Thank you for the useful tip.

So してあげる - do something as a favor to someone? And do I understand correctly that the verb form is して・あげて・ない with the casually disappearing い? “I’m not doing this as a favor to you?”

4 Likes

Yep, all that’s correct

3 Likes

@Gorbit99 @ChristopherFritz Thank you so much! This one is a doozy for me. I think I kinda get it, but definitely not 100%.

2 Likes

I really love how helpful everyone is! This is my first ABBC book and its hard yet because I haven´t gotten too far into grammar, but I learn so much from watching people here ask questions and getting helpful answers, so thanks everyone!

13 Likes

Could someone check my meanings of these sentences? I think this is the jist!

p16

和泉さんの不幸体質はいつものことですし…でもいつも庇ってもらってばっかで情けないよ。
Isumi’s unfortunate disposition is normal, but always receiving protection is just pathetic. (I think this is narration, or is it Isumi thinking to himself?)

昨日クラスの人にからかわれたのを気にしてるんですか
Are you worrying about the people in your class who made fun of you yesterday?

う…でも本当のことだったじゃん。式守さんにぼくは何もしてあげてないし…このままじゃぼくは…
Yeh, but that’s not really it. You’re always doing everything for me. I don’t want that to be the case (but cut off by whatever falls from the sky)

2 Likes

Could I ask how far along in your grammar are you? I really struggled with this page (at lesson 10 in Genki 1)

1 Like
p.16

Everything was pretty much what I understood, except for

Here, my understanding is Izumi was saying something like “umm…but isn’t that the truth?”

My breakdown:
う...umm
でも but
本当のこと the real thing
だった casual past of です
じゃん casual, shortened of じゃないか “isn’t it”

I could be wrong though! Could someone else confirm? Thanks!

2 Likes

My grammar learning has been a bit chaotic - I’m mainly studying it as and when I encounter new points in things that I’m reading, and doing the occasional session on a mobile app called Hey Japan. I think I would guess I’m maybe low-mid N4? Though honestly I do not know!

Actually this does make more sense! I always forget that じゃないか is asking for confirmation. :sweat_smile: But yes, if someone with more knowledge could confirm!

3 Likes

Actually, I am finding Chapter 3 a tad easier and finished it basically in one sitting, with no questions this time - the ones that I did have had already been answered here. :slight_smile: I am hoping to do Chapter 4 tomorrow!

3 Likes