可愛いだけじゃない式守さん・ Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie ❤️‍🩹 Week 4 Discussion Thread (Absolute Beginners Book Club)

Welcome to Week 4 of the Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie book club!

We are reading as part of the Absolute Beginner Book Club!

kép

Week 4 January 6 2024
Pages 27-38
Chapter 5-6
Previous Week Week 3
Next week Week 5
Home Thread 可愛いだけじゃない式守さん・ Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie

Vocabulary

可愛いだけじゃない式守さ Volume 1 Vocabulary List - Google Sheets

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Please note that this was auto-generated and might need some additional editing, but it should serve as a solid starting point. If you have any questions/doubts, please post them in this thread!

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Membership

Will you be reading with us this week?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’ve finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m reading this after the book club is already finished
0 voters

For our newer readers

How are you doing so far?
  • It’s going really well
  • It’s going well
  • I’m struggling, but I manage
  • I’m struggling so much I’m thinking of dropping the book
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I have read harder manga/books than tlhis one but I still need to click a poll option
0 voters

Handwritten Text

p28

kép
ノールック
新聞ブロック

落下物
回避

p31

kép
張り切りすぎた。

p32

和泉:
おつかれ〜
式守さん!
かっこよかったよ!

ボックス:
式守フィルター

式守
ありがとう
ございます

p35

kép
わ〜ん
ぼくのバカ

心の中
kép
ガマンガマン

p36

kép
あっだがい
ですぅぅぅぅ

p37

クリスマス
プレゼント

せー…
のっ!

丸かぶり

スゴ

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching if you want to receive notifications for discussion!

9 Likes
p.33

式守さん:イルミネーションなんて 小さい頃 家族 見たとき 以来です。
I believe the translation for this sentence is:
It’s been a while since I saw Illuminations with my family when I was a child.

Why is she using で instead of と here?
After reading Tofugu’s grammar lesson on で, I don’t think it falls into any of the categories mentioned.

p.36

I was surprised to see dakuten on the vowels. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it before. When I googled it, Wikipedia says: “In informal writing, dakuten is occasionally used on vowels to indicate a shocked or strangled articulation; for example, on あ゙ or ゔ. Dakuten can also be occasionally used with ん (ん゙) to indicate a guttural hum, growl, or similar sound.”

Therefore, this あ゛っだがい゛ actually is あったかい, which means warm. So my guess for the author writing it that way is because 和泉君 was touched by 式守さん’s action (and maybe because he’s cold at the same time)?

いつもありがとうございます!そして、明けましておめでとうございます。皆、今年もがんばろう! :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Think of it as “in the context of”. ‘in the context of being with my family’ (was when I watched the illumination). The emphasis is a little bit different than just a straight “I was with my family”.

I don’t have it in front of me but I think it’s more the cold than being touched. Manga will often start to slur dialogue when sick, cold etc

3 Likes

Sorry, could you explain it a bit more in-depth? I still don’t quite get it. Like, what do you mean by the emphasis being different? If I were to say:
[1] 友達 買い物する。vs. [2] 友達 買い物する。
In sentence 1, is the focus on being with friends rather than on the shopping?
Whereas in sentence 2, is the focus on the shopping rather than being with friends?

分かった!ありがとう!

1 Like

The first page already got me struggling more than anything last week, so I’ll start off with some questions :blush:

p27

体育一緒だったんですね!
Physical education together… But then there’s both the past form of the casual copula だった and the formal copula です. What do they mean together?

バスケ試合出ないの?
What’s the meaning of 出る here?

二つ結びかわいいな
A two-thing ending… :confused: I don’t understand

後半からなんです
Literally “what’s after the second half”? What does she mean?

Thank you! :grin:

4 Likes
p.27

I believe it means to go or participate, so it would translate to:
Aren’t you going to the basketball game? or Are you not participating in the basketball game?

二つ結び means pigtails, referring to the hairstyle

I believe she’s saying it’s because she’ll be playing after the second half.

I don’t know the answer to the first question! I didn’t even notice it. Good eyes!

4 Likes

Thank you! :heart:
I should probably assume that if 出る doesn’t make sense in some context, then it probably means to go to some place or activity :slight_smile:

Moving on…

p28

羨ましいな
Does な mean “don’t”? “Don’t be jealous of my physical ability”?

Ok, the rest of p28 takes some effort, so I’ll stop for now.

I think 見学 is the first jukugo I encounter where I’ve studied both parts, but haven’t studied the compound (or even the けん reading at all) on WK :slight_smile:

3 Likes
p33

I think it’s this one. She saw the lights with others as a family. Maybe contrasting with now, where she’s going to watch them with someone else as a couple.

@escargotagile

p27

I believe the second copula is being used with the explanatory の, as explained in this Tofugu article. It’s to mark the sentence as an explanation, presumably for them being in the same place, which is that they had phys ed together.

p28

な only means “don’t” when used with verbs. In this case, I believe it’s definition 5 in Jisho.

4 Likes

I’d think of it a bit like this:

1. I went with friends to go shopping
  2. We went shopping, as friends eg as opposed to as lovers, as a family, etc

As tofugu says, で brings more attention to the idea that xで means x is important in some way to whatever action was being taken - whether that’s because x allows it to happen, or x changes the contextual situation in which it happens, etc. It’s a pretty all-purpose particle with a lot of uses, as the article says, which is why I think of it as a contextual marker.

Exactly!

You can split it up a bit. In this case, だったん indicates the earlier bit is a nested. so: [体育一緒だったん] ですね!= [We had PE together], it turns out! Okay, so ‘it turns out’ isn’t a great translation here but probably the closest natural fit for ですね here I guess? It’s just a basic existence copula
I guess.

In this case it means “I’m jealous”. If it was ‘don’t’ it would be 羨ましない - the な would be before the い (and as pointed out above it would be grammatically incorrect, I guess it would be 羨ましくない?)。In this case instead it’s a sentence ender which is more like conveying admiration etc. (You could also use ね which is a bit more feminine - かわいいね?

4 Likes

@aamunoz @Jintor
OOOOOOOHHHH… I ACTUALLY GET IT! It makes sense now. 本当にありがとうございます!

2 Likes

Who is jealous of whom?

Is Izumi jealous of Shikimori? Is there a の omitted after her name?

1 Like

Nah, it’s not だったん+です but rather だった+んです

4 Likes

blast!

Yeah more or less. He’s talking about Shikimori’s athletic ability.

1 Like
p28

Can someone please explain me what he is trying to say here? (The 滲み出る part)

1 Like

If you look at the bg it’s her saving him from stuff, so he’s saying something like “it’s always showing” (your athletic ability). Lit is something like ‘on a regular basis, it’s always showing, huh’

2 Likes

Ooh, a challenge! I’ll try to figure this out using a dictionary:

滲む is to bleed, but にじみ出る is “to exude (e.g. sweat), to ooze, to seep out”.
So 滲み出てる is “it’s oozing”.

As for し, I think the right meaning is “the thing is, for one thing (at sentence end; gives reason for an unstated but deducible conclusion)”
Renshuu provides this example when searching for しね:
今日は 疲れてるしね “I’m kind of tired today”

If this is correct, then the meaning would be “The thing is, your athletic ability is regularly oozing”.

3 Likes

More or less right but 滲み出る has a second meaning that is a bit more accurate

4 Likes

So it is something like バレる but without the intention that you want to keep it secret?

1 Like

Sure, though I think of バレル more as like… a secret being revealed, where from a quick glance 滲み出る would be more like, I don’t know, something just kind of radiates outwards (even unintentionally). I don’t think it’s a spectacularly common word, so you don’t need to get hung up on it (though if the next time you encounter it you remember this discussion, it will help remember in future!)

2 Likes

On page 28:
いられないです
Is this the passive of いる “to be”? My head is exploding from trying to figure out what it might mean…

1 Like