ホリミヤ ・ Horimiya 🎀 👓 Week 2 Discussion Thread (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Welcome to Week 2 of the Horimiya book club!

We are reading as part of the Absolute Beginner Book Club!\

Week 2 September 2 2023
Pages 12 - 16 (10 - 14 for physical copies)
Chapter 1
Last Week Week 1
Next week Week 3
Home Thread ホリミヤ・Horimiya
The final panel for this week

Vocabulary

ホリミヤ Volume 1 Vocabulary List - Google Sheets

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Please note that this was auto-generated and might need some additional editing, but it should serve as a solid starting point. If you have any questions/doubts, please post them in this thread!

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Membership

Will you be reading with us this week?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’ve finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m reading this after the book club is already finished
0 voters

For our newer readers

How are you doing so far?
  • It’s going really well
  • It’s going well
  • I’m struggling, but I manage
  • I’m struggling so much I’m thinking of dropping the book
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I have read harder manga/books than tlhis one but I still need to click a poll option
0 voters

(This poll is anonymous)

Just remember that the club is always here! Even if you decide it’s too much right now, you can always come back later and review the threads/ask more questions if they weren’t answered! If there’s anything I can do as the organizer to make things easier for you guys, just let me know as well!

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching if you want to receive notifications for discussion!

Handwritten text this week

Note: Physical book pages are listed in parentheses.

Pg. 12 (10)

ハンカチ持ってなかったの?

Pg.14 (12)

創太: おにいーちゃんコーヒーってにがいの?

おにーちゃん: にがいねー

Pg. 15 (13)

Not necessarily handwritten, but a more difficult font:

堀:

ほっほ…っ堀だけど

えっあなた同じ学校…?

Pg.16 (14)

Weird font: 記憶の中のいつもの宮村

Handwritten:

宮村: 何か用ですか堀さん。

Student 1: 昼メシ行こうぜー

Student 2: おーっ

7 Likes

Alright ! I gave it a quick look and I got most of it. Some bubbles will need an extra effort tho.

I can feel the progress I did since last book club, as I now find the pacing quite slow. But that’s good, I may be bit busy during some weeks.

3 Likes

Ahh, this week’s reading was over too quickly!! I read ahead to page 22 before the club started, so at this point I’m still just rereading.

I had no knowledge of the story going in so I was really surprised and intrigued to find out that Miyamura has such an edgy appearance outside of school! I also like that he sparkles when compared with his at-school alter ego. :blush:

8 Likes

Before I start, how would you guys compare the difficulty of this set of pages to the last set?

2 Likes

This shifts to normal conversation instead of the more “reflective” start of the chapter, so it will probably be a bit easier for that reason alone.

The dialogue is also relatively short sentences, and since they are strangers, they are speaking in polite form (which is usually easier for learners, especially coming from textbooks)

4 Likes

Felt fairly similar to me. A bit more text, but less internal monologue about aspects / forms and letting other see stuff. The conversations are more… mundane.

3 Likes

I’m not a good judge, but it seemed a bit easier to me. No huge sentences, just mostly conversation, and those are easier than monologues (personally at least)

4 Likes

Schweet, thanks for the preview. I might actually stand a chance this time :joy:

2 Likes

This second week felt a bit more difficult to me on first read. I could make out all the words and most of the grammar patterns, but had quite some trouble figuring out who said what and how each sentence added to the flow of the conversation and story. I’ll make another pass this weekend and then ask question as needed.

3 Likes

Before we started Horimiya, I picked up the previous book club’s book just as they were finishing. That book is significantly easier than this book. It’s almost a children’s book in comparison. Definitely keep going with Horimiya, but everyone who is feeling that it is a bit over their head should try the previous book.

4 Likes

I thought there were quite a few points that might cause confusion for folks who haven’t experienced them before, although it’s possible that’s more to do with the fact that I never learned from textbooks.

Since I had some free time I wrote up some of the sentences I think people are likely to have trouble with and my interpretations

page 11 どうぞ上がっていってください = Please come in.
page 12 わざわざすみません = Thanks for going to the trouble …
page 13 創太君 … しっかりしてるんですね = Souta is quite reliable …
also page 13 家のことを自分でやってるなんてすごいですね = I don’t understand やってる in this context myself but get the general idea. However for someone with little experience that might throw them off. My (very loose) interpretation: “Knowing his home [address] all on his own is pretty impressive.”

(physical copy page numbers)

5 Likes
p13

おにいちゃん。。。うちによってってよぉ
What does the bolded part mean? I am having trouble looking it up in the dictionary.

p15

そそっかしくて困ってます
Does this mean “It’s troublesome that Souta carelessly (says his address and name to a stranger).” or does it mean something more like “Sorry for Souta being thoughtless (and inconveniencing you to come to our house”?

p14 minor spoiler

I thought Miyamura looked adorably surprised with a ‘口’ face, but upon looking at it again, I realized the “eyes” are probably sweat drops instead.

3 Likes
page 13

Ahh, I thought about including this in my list but ended up skipping it. :sweat_smile: I don’t totally get it (feel completely confident) myself, but I can tell you that よる has a definition of stopping by/visiting along the way, and I think Souta is saying “you said you’d stop by/visit…” (on account of って being a quotation particle.)

4 Likes
p15

More the second one of the two

2 Likes
page 15

You have to look at the context to get this one. Miyamura is talking about (praising) Souta and then Hori says あっイエそんな… Something like "no no … " and then she says (to Miyamura, without changing the subject of conversation) そそっかしくて困ってます … so, “he is rash and gets in trouble” …

(Eta: telling Miyamura to his face that he is a dangerous stranger would probably be seen as pretty rude.)

3 Likes

Then it looks like the 3rd definition of 寄る on jisho:

4 Likes

Woah, that was way too quick :sweat_smile:
In my opinion this week was much easier than the first. I had a great time reading!!

My favorit panel this week

Without further ado…the sentences I had some trouble with/need confirmation

p 14

お礼もしたいですし
Moreover, I want to thank you

犬にびっくりして転んだみたいで
A dog startled him and he fell

そこへ自分が
This one is giving me headaches!
“and I was there” is the only thing I can come up with. Maybe someone can enlighten me :see_no_evil:

わざわざすみません
Thank you for taking the trouble
or: Sorry for going through the trouble

This one is just to make sure I get it right:

p 15

何言ってんですか
what are you talking about?
lit.: what are you saying?

I assume that 言ってん is a contraction of 言っている

Looking forward to week 3! Let’s see how difficult this one will be :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Based on the Jisho definition for 寄る my ever so reliable dictionary app has the following example sentence:

ちょっと寄って行きませんか。
Won’t you come in for a moment.

So I guess Souta is inviting Miyamura to come inside.

3 Likes

Took a look at it as well and it does look simpler ! I might give it a try if ホリミヤ gets too hard

2 Likes
pg. 14

I think your way of interpreting this is just fine. It’s definitely an incomplete sentence. My personal fill-in was, “And that’s where I came in.”

But the intent is just him saying that’s the point in time where he got involved, however you choose to phrase it.

4 Likes