ホリミヤ ・ Horimiya 🎀 👓 Week 2 Discussion Thread (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

p12

創太あああ、あんた何したの?
Souta, what have you done?

転んだ、も
Fallen, again

p13

大丈夫そうなので。失礼しますね。
Looks like everything is going to be alright. Excuse me.

しまつたあああ素で無視してた。
It looks like I was neglecting him. (Honestly not a clue with this one, wild guess.)

ご迷惑をお掛け したようで
Sorry for the inconvenience.

いえ…じゃあ俺はこれで
No, it’s nothing. I was here anyway.

お兄ちゃん…家に寄ってってよお
Mister, are you coming in?

いえ あのどうぞ上がっていってください。
No, please, come in.

Overall so far, these pages are defininitely feeling easier than last weeks!

3 Likes

Same. While I can make a good guess of what happens, I have trouble understanding the second panel of page 13.

2 Likes
p13

素で無視してた!
See this stackexchange (which I’m pretty sure is referring directly to the anime version) and to this hinative. Essentially, in this case I believe it’s closer to “I unintentionally ignored him!”

1 Like
p13

Ah okay! I was reading it in the context of Hori thinking the guy would be thinking she was neglecting her brother because she was meant to be watching him and he got hurt, but this makes more sense! Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like
Pg. 12

Small correction here, the もーっ looks to me to be Hori’s response, not part of Souta explaining what happened.

You’ll also see this written as もう, but it’s essentially a sound of displeasure, like “Jeez!” Or “Seriously?”

What leads me to believe it is Hori’s response is the speech bubble does not point to Souta like his 転んだ does, and it is in the bolded font that is in her other speech bubble in the panel.

Otherwise, you’ve got it!

Pg. 13

@Jintor already explained the meaning quite well of the latter half of the sentence, I just want to make sure you know that this is しまった, as opposed to しまつた (small tsu, representing the glottal stop, not big tsu)

しまった is essentially equivalent to “Darn” or “Oops”

7 Likes

This week was very good! I think it was a little easier than the first week. I couldn’t stop reading where we were supposed to stop this week, I was too invested already so I ended up doing week 3’s pages too. Oops.

The only part where I was stuck was with 是非 on p14, I couldn’t find it on the vocab sheet and I thought it was a name but realized it was a word after checking on the dictionary quickly :laughing:

5 Likes

I spent some time trying to figure out that second panel on page 13. It turns out my mistake was not noticing that the first text was a thought and not dialogue. I thought she was saying it to the dude, so I was lost.

Ooooops!

Also, as seen on page 14… any ideas as to why 是非 has the meaning it does, considering the kanji? I would never guess it means something like “certainly” just from the reading.

3 Likes
page 13

This is actually something people say when they are preparing to leave. For example at the end of the Comprehensible Japanese videos the teacher always says “今日はこれでおしまい” (we’ll end here for today) but often people leave out whatever comes after これで.

4 Likes
p 15

I think the translation is correct. As far as I know, this is actually short for 言っているなのです → 言っているんです → 言ってるんです → 言ってんです

4 Likes
p.13, second panel

Thanks everyone with the help. I had a really hard time with this one. Similarly to ShakeYourRump, I didn’t catch that this was a thought instead of speech. I did notice that the text switched to plain form instead of keigo, so that further confused me. In hindsight, it makes perfect sense.

p.14, handwritten text

創太: おにいーちゃんコーヒーってにがいの?

Why is there a って after コーヒー? I would have expected a simple は or が, so maybe I’m missing something in this sentence. Or is this meant to ask whether coffee - as a concept - is bitter? (コーヒーということ)

1 Like
Pg. 14

って in casual speech often stands in for a topic marker like は.

This article helped me kinda process that when I was first struggling to make sense of it.

I would file this under the “Familiar Topic” subheading of that article – the topic of コーヒー is more familiar to the answerer (Miyamura) than the questioner (Souta). It essentially gives the nuance (more so than は), that the answerer will be familiar enough with the marked topic to give a clear answer.

Just to reiterate, though, it is quite colloquial language.

2 Likes

Finished this week’s chapter. Not too much to say with a short chapter like this. I’m also reading the BBC at the same time, so good to see they don’t try keep it as a mystery for too long or it could be a very similar plot :slight_smile:

The author’s handwriting is also much more legible than the BBC manga’s author’s handwriting. Normally I tend to just gloss over handwritten sections, but this wasn’t so bad.

4 Likes
p12

Oo thank you!
I hadn’t noticed that the speech had gone back to Hori in that first panel.

p13

I can already tell this is going to be very useful for picking up little utterances that I wasn’t aware of :smiley: Thanks again, super useful to know.

3 Likes
p.13, third panel

家のことを自分でやってるなんてすごいですね. 意外です堀さん

I wanted to come back to this panel, because my interpretation was different on first reading. And I’m not too convinced by the above explanation. 家のことを自分でやってる doesn’t strike me as a natural fit for “knowing his him (address) on his own”. Rather, I thought 家のこと refered to housework, with やる most often meaning as “to do”. As such I think he actually meant to say "It’s impressive that you do all the housework by yourself. This seems to tie in with the added phrase, where he actually refers to Hori-san, not to Souta.

Now, I’m not 100% sure on this. Because I’m not sure how he would know about Hori running the household by herself. Did Souta tell him? Does he infer from the fact that she’s home to watch after her younger brother? Neither explanation really satisfied me…

10 Likes
p13

I just had a check of the eng translation (I have a copy from many moons ago!) and they (and I!) agree with your interpretation. How he knows… I think he’s just extrapolating from the fact he walked in on her doing laundry and she’s generally bustling about without any sign of parents.

5 Likes

Didn’t find this week too difficult, recognised most of the vocabularly and didn’t find the grammar points too difficult. It is definitely a step up from The Wolf of the Small Forest though.

New Vocab:

無視 - Ignoring/Neglect
迷惑おかける - To cause trouble
そそっかしい - Thoughtless/Rash/Careless
記憶 - Memory/Recollection

2 Likes

I’m so glad you posted this, because I didn’t even realize I misunderstood! Definitely thought this comment was about Souta. Now I’m thinking of the word 家事…

4 Likes
page 13 + webcomic consultation

Yep! I like your interpretation of this line here.

As for how miyamura knows, Hori actually undergoes a transition into housework-mode at the end of last week’s reading section. Her change from her school appearance into her 私服 appearance isn’t as drastic as miyamura’s is, but is still enough for yuki to not recognize her (or pretend to not recognize her) in the webcomic (ch 1).

4 Likes

しまったああ! :sweat_smile: I missed the change in subject! That sentence is much easier to interpret your way. :slight_smile: I’ll have to go back and take another look at it.

5 Likes

Finished this weeks reading!! It’s been just fine so far, but I really have to battle against my instinct to just ignore the hand written text :sweat_smile: even with the kindly typed out versions!

Does anyone else have that problem?

5 Likes