ドラゴンボールSD (Dragon Ball SD) · Volume 1 Discussion 🐉

Yeah, we can read it in the rest week. I figured reading 5 pages instead of 20 counts as a rest, right? :wink:

1 Like

I have the next two already, so I am here for you!

3 Likes

Just finished this week’s chapter. I may have some question when I re-read it.
Lots of new vocabulary, but they are all very “useful” (in that sense that they will be showing up in other Shonen Battle Manga).

It’s impressive how fast these chapters go, I believe in the original we would be around chapter 42, 43 by now.

Also, I am celebrating that this is the first manga I finish reading from cover to cover. I always start and stop them. So I feel accomplished!

3 Likes

おっす!Congrats on finishing your first manga! I’m with you on the battle vocab, I’m assuming it’s going to come up a lot.

In the original the whole of the the first 天下一武道会 takes around 20 chapters, so we are really racing through in comparison!

2 Likes

I found this sentence tricky on page 168:

I think コマ is this definition:

コマ

So I think something like: The two of them, rapidly winning their qualifying rounds, finally reach the (frame of the comic/scene/time where it is the) match that decides who will compete in the main tournament.

I wasn’t sure what to do with the と after the へ but I think this is へと, which has its own meaning.

1 Like

I think it’s this. It’s just that they turned the first part of it into katakana for no discernible reason.

They’re getting a lot of mileage out of this panel huh?

1 Like

Bingo. It’s there in Jisho too - 駒を進める. That makes more sense, thanks.

It’s certainly a condensed version. There’s some insight into the condensing process in the bonus material…

2 Likes

I am still reading through, but I love how shameless it is about it :grin:

I have one question. It’s about page 176:

How should I parse 一気にいかせてもらうぜ? I guess it’s the causative of 行く? But then what exact meaning of 行く?

1 Like

I think コマ is this definition:

コマ

So I think something like: The two of them, rapidly winning their qualifying rounds, finally reach the (frame of the comic

Bingo. It’s there in Jisho too - 駒を進める. That makes more sense, thanks.

Am I the only one seeing a pun there?

How should I parse 一気にいかせてもらうぜ? I guess it’s the causative of 行く? But then what exact meaning of 行く?

I think Yamcha is trying to say that he’ll have to win ASAP and avoid carelesness, or our mysterious Jackie Chun will get him. One of the meanings of いく seems to be “to do (in a specific way)”, so maybe it’s sometihng like: “I do this (in the specific way of avoiding carelesness) immediately”

It’s a tough one, let’s see if people come up with better translations.

2 Likes

Now that I fully understand the コマ, I also see a pun there :slight_smile:

I also struggled with the 一気に行かせてもらうぜ. I will ask my Japanese teacher next week, as well.

I found the official translation of the original, which has basically the same text. It wasn’t an exact translation, but I think Shisckatchegg translation is going in the right direction.

" Come to think of it, during the qualifying rounds it seemed like this old guy was ending his fights awful quick… I guess I should make the first move and see how he counters"

I see that usually 〜させてもらう and 〜させていただく are usually translated as "Let me 〜”。

So I’d translate as “I should avoid being negligent. [Jackie Chun has to] let me do this [finish him off] in one go”.

Not sure if this is the right way to look at it. But, the best I could come up with :sweat_smile:
Link 1:
https://japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/learn-jlpt-n4-grammar-てもらう-te-morau/ (There are examples with させてもらう)

Link 2:

3 Likes

Was wondering how they’d translate this panel…

And I love this panel from the original:

2 Likes

I saw this panel a few weeks ago on Jump Plus and I was wondering if the “Chamionship” was a typo or if there’s a hidden joke there?
I think it’s just a typo, but since DB has so many puns, I guess I overthink it :sweat_smile:

I hadn’t spotted that! Presumably a typo? I guess would need to see the original Japanese to know.

Asked on HiNative, it’s a contraction of しなさい!

3 Likes