4 Dec 53 - ついにはじまる一騎打ち‼ 77-94 18
11 Dec 54 - 天下分け目の超決戦‼ 95-112 18
18 Dec 55 - 大猿の化物 113-130 18
25 Dec 56 - 最後の希望、元気玉‼ 131-148 18
1 Jan 57 - 決める! 元気玉!!! 149-166 18
8 Jan 58 - 戦い、ついに集結⋯!! 167-183 17
15 Jan Bonus 184-189 6

Vocabulary list

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Participants

Are you reading with us?
  • Yes
  • Nope

0 voters

Discussion guidelines

• Please don’t hesitate to ask questions, even if you think it’s a silly question. Helping each other learn is what book clubs are all about! :slight_smile:
  • When asking for help, please include the page number. This makes it easier for others to help you and it makes the information in this thread more searchable.
  • Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages and any content from later in the book/series by using spoiler tags: [spoiler]text here[/spoiler].
2 Likes

And…we’re onto volume 6!

Page 17 - Is that Boo popping up at the bottom of the page? Any idea what he is saying - ムギュ?

… It’s poop.
Not sure what it’s saying but maybe some joke about the only time Goku steps on the ground he stands on poop?

1 Like

Perhaps ムギュ is this word (HiNative):

an onomatopoeic word shows that something or someone is held tight or pressed strongly so that they are deformed

Were you suggesting the pink person talking is poop or the word means poop? :poop:

EDIT - sticking with the Boo theory maybe this is simply a cameo appearance by Boo saying “Byoing!” as he bounces along the snake?

1 Like

The former. If you look at the “face” closely, it is poop shaped. It’s not unusual to paint poop pink in Japanese media. Anime like Bo-bo-bo or Digimon springs to mind.
You can also see some shaded shape flying away from the impulse of Goku’s jump.

1 Like

What a weird little addition lol.

Page 11

I am not sure how this works… まで is throwing me. “It has risen so far as the familiarity of the Four Arms Technique”. What’s the subject here?

Page 17

Which of the bajillion meaning of 当たる do you reckon this is?

I think this まで means “even” - Wasabi reference. I think the subject is the degree of familiarity/fame of the Four Arms Technique.

It even makes the Four Arms technique more famous! It’s a win win!

Perhaps - to be in contact?

1 Like

Week 2

Start date: 13 Nov
Pages: 23-40

How is the reading going?
  • I am reading along :dragon:
  • I am catching up :muscle:t2:
  • I am dropping this book :person_gesturing_no:t3:

0 voters

You were spot on with the poop! All clarified in the next chapter :poop:

Page 37 - 見切れん - the dictionary definition of 見切れる is “to be partly cut off (in a photo, video, etc.)”. That doesn’t quite fit but presumably here it means something like “to be partly cut”

2 Likes

Yeah they really do go back onto that single panel haha

1 Like

Or the potential of 見切る?

I’d looked at that but discounted it, I think because he does have that cut on his face. But looking again I think you might be right. どういう技か見切れんのか - can’t you see what kind of trick it is?

1 Like

Yeah, I think Vegeta felt like Nappa should’ve recognised the attack for what it was, rather than misjudging it, intending to ‘brace it’ and ending up narrowly avoiding becoming sashimi.

1 Like

1 Like

Week 3

Start date: 20 Nov
Pages: 41-58

0 voters

1 Like

He he… the poop gag keeps running…

I love how it continues to pay off!

So I guess Goku chuckling at Yamcha on p. 51 is because he’s depicted in that memetastic pose? But who’s the guy on page 58 and why does he have an opinion about this??

Wasn’t sure about Goku laughing. I wondered if it was the famous death pose. My other thoughts were that he might be just losing his wits, or perhaps he was happy that the only dead people were people who hadn’t previously been resurrected.

No idea who the guy at the end of the chapter is! I did try a bit of googling but failed!

1 Like

Had a look at the original, Goku’s angry not smiling in that version. So if the smiling is a new addition I guess it makes most sense that he’s smiling at the classic Yamcha death pose.

Summary

1 Like

Week 4

Start date: 27 Nov
Pages: 59-76

0 voters

1 Like