8 May 23 - カリン塔のカリン様 77-94 18
15 May 24 - うばえ! 超聖水‼ 95-112 18
22 May 25 - 聖地の大決戦!!! 113-130 18
29 May 26 - 突撃! レッドリボン軍総本部‼ 131-146 16
5 Jun 27 - 孫悟空快進撃! 147-164 18
12 Jun 28 - 大勝利!!! 165-181 17
19 Jun Bonus 182-189 8

Vocabulary list

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Participants

Are you reading with us?
  • Yes
  • Nope

0 voters

Discussion guidelines

• Please don’t hesitate to ask questions, even if you think it’s a silly question. Helping each other learn is what book clubs are all about! :slight_smile:
  • When asking for help, please include the page number. This makes it easier for others to help you and it makes the information in this thread more searchable.
  • Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages and any content from later in the book/series by using spoiler tags: [spoiler]text here[/spoiler].
1 Like

Never heard of Neko Majin, had to look that one up. From the Wikipedia article I assume this chapter is making reference to this future story:

Summary

1 Like

It looks like another spin-off character!

So does anyone know why Goku puts a mouse in his mouth when he’s escaping?

1 Like

I think he just does it to keep the rat safe while they escape, but in typical Goku style has no idea how strange his action seems to normal people!

That makes a lot more sense lol

You will be the lifesaver of me.
To you, there will be a lifesaver that’s me.

I thought it’s the first, but it was the second, huh?

Also, I am flattered that you call me a normal person :upside_down_face: :joy:

2 Likes

It’s such a funny moment. Clearly the rat doesn’t need saving, he’s going to scurry away and look after himself just fine, but to put the rat in your mouth to keep it safe! I love his comments that it tastes a bit odd!

Actually, come to think of it, I think he is saying that the rat is a lifesaver, but in the sense that he scared Hunky McHunkface before.

It also makes more sense than the translation I posited, cause if it had been ‘to you there will be a lifesaver’, wouldn’t it have been more like おまえオラの命の恩人いるからな!

Sometimes I feel like I read Japanese without actually taking in the information LOL

1 Like

Week 2!

Start date: 17 April
Pages: 23-40

How is the reading going?
  • I am reading along :dragon:
  • I am catching up :muscle:t2:
  • I am dropping this book :person_gesturing_no:t3:

0 voters

Woohoo, that was another easy chapter!

So I did a little Googling and it appears the Heart Virus is a thing in the DB universe, so that’s an in-joke on page 25. I can’t believe how little knowledge of the DB universe I retained, considering how many episodes I watched when I was young! I guess I was focussed mostly on the fighting :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, that’s how I read it. He’s saving the rat’s life to say thanks for saving his life (by distracting the bad guy).

I’d forgotten about this too. It’s long into the future from where we are now, but an interesting in-joke to link Goku putting a rat in his mouth to the heart virus story!

Week 3!

Start date: 24 April
Pages: 41-58

0 voters

Love it - the enemies keep getting stronger, and the fights more ridiculous!

Page 50
ドラゴンボールを孫悟空とやらにうばわれて…
I read the とやら as this definition - “indicates uncertainty or second hand nature of information quoted​”.
Perhaps translating something like - “stealing the dragon balls from that ‘Son Goku’…”

1 Like

That sounds about right. Here’s the Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns for Teachers and Learners:

1 Like

Omg!! I was refreshing the other post and was going to ask, if the rest of you had abandoned DB… and then I saw there was this post created all along! D’oh! :man_facepalming:

I’m here, I haven’t abandoned the book club! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good to have you with us again! :partying_face:

Week 4

Start date: 1 May
Pages: 59-76

0 voters

1 Like

It’s getting a bit tricky to keep track of where all the dragon balls are! I think in the original manga he’d picked another dragon ball by this point which is perhaps what is confusing me…

So we had a couple more examples of とやら in this chapter. Thanks for sharing the information on this word Phyrne.

On page 59: あのひょーっとのびてるやつなんだ?
The meaning is obvious in context - he’s pointing at a long narrow tower stretching into the sky and saying - “what’s that long thing that extends/stretches out?” Does anyone happen to know what ひょーっと is?

Well this chapter ended on a grim note :neutral_face:

I think it’s this. Meaning number 3.

1 Like

Yes, but now we have a new mission! And a new super strong bad guy that Goku will have to get stronger to defeat! :muscle:t2:

Week 5

Start date: 8 May
Pages: 77-94

0 voters

1 Like

Goku’s journey continues - this was such a great part of the story! I love the banter between Goku and カリン様!