スーパーの裏でヤニ吸うふたり 🚬 - Week 5 (Beginner Book Club - Behind the Supermarket, Smoking with You)

Welcome to Week 5 of - スーパーの裏でヤニ吸うふたり・Behind the Supermarket, Smoking With You :smoking: Book Club!

Week 5 12th of August 2023
Start Page 71
End Page 96
Chapters 6 and 7
Pages 26
Previous week Week 4
Next week Week 6
Home Thread Here

Vocabulary

スーパーの裏でヤニ吸うふたり Volume 1 Vocabulary List (courtesy of @eagleflo)

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

If necessary, include an explanation of any discrepancies in the Ebook page numbers from physical page numbers. If there is an easy shortcut for some ebook versions to relate back to physical page numbers, it would be worth it to include it as a third bullet here, or if you want to use chapter page numbers instead of volume page numbers, as is the case with some manga. For example:
Example

For the Kindle version of this manga, the page numbers and the location number are always 3 apart. If you subtract 3 from the location, this will give you the accurate page number!

OR

Please use the chapter page numbers, instead of the volume page numbers. These are located in between the panels!

Proper Nouns

Feel free to add to this as new characters / places get introduced throughout the book.

Name Reading Notes
山田 やまだ Main character
田山 たやま Main character
佐々木 ささき Main character

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
  • I’m still undecided if I will join
0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have finished this part.”

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching in order to stay up to date with the discussion!

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 20.05.21

9 Likes
New users: how’s the pace these last 2 weeks?
  • It’s too fast for me
  • It’s a bit fast
  • It’s fine for me
  • It’s a breeze/I’m an experienced reader
0 voters

Curious to hear from beginners how’s the pace so far. Hopefully you’re being able to keep up with the change to 2 chapters a week :slight_smile:

9 Likes
my favourite panel from this week (end of chapter 7)

9 Likes

Alright, this time I actually got some questions!

Page 76

Am I understanding this page correctly?

There has been a complaint about her, which hasn’t happened in a while. The complaint was that “despite usually serving the customers cheerfully, she smelled of tobacco”. Her manager told her not to worry about this unreasonable complaint, but she still feels down whenever something like that happens.

Page 77

I get that this doesn’t just mean “lonely” (which doesn’t seem to fit the situation well), but how would you describe the feeling he tries to convey in English?

“The moment you get to know a new side (of a person)…”
“You think they are lovely, this person becomes unbelievable/implausible.” + のは (?)
“Even though both are the same person.”

I have a faint idea of what he’s trying to say here, but all in all I’m a bit lost, both in meaning and translation. And I have no idea how this is supposed to make her feel better.

12 Likes
Page 76

I’m not very confident, but my interpretations is the following:

I believe some parts are missing, though not sure if you just abbreviated them. The complaint is slightly different - the customer says they are disappointed (がっかり) that despite being someone that is always serving customers cheerfully, she smelled of tabacco.

Tayama’s reaction is slightly ambiguous I feel, but in this case そーいうの来ちゃうと means “when this (kind of compliant) came”, rather than “every time this happens.” With アホらしくなっちゃって I feel she actually means that she turns “dumb” in the sense that she starts smoking endlessly and worrying about it despite it being a silly thing.

Page 77

Not very confident in this one either, but my understanding is:

違う面を知った途端素敵だと思ってるその人 => the moment (someone) discovers another side of that person they thought was lovely.
人を => (that person) from previous sentence become the direct object of the next part
信じられなくなる => 信じる means “to believe in” or “to trust”. 信じられる would be the potential (able to believe in, trust in), and then 信じられない (unable to believe in, trust in)
のは turns the previous sentence into a noun, and that noun becomes the topic. => “The fact that (someone) is unable to trust in a person who they thought was lovely the moment they discover another side of (that person)”
どっちもその人なのに => even though both (sides) are the same person…

So the 寂しい is describing that kind of loneliness - maybe a similar example would be something like losing a friend because they find out you like anime.

13 Likes
Page 77

Thanks! This makes more sense now, although it still boggles my mind a bit when I try thinking about the Japanese sentences. Especially considering the ordering.

For me that’s definitely the hardest page so far.

9 Likes

Same. I wouldn’t have figured this out in a billion years if you guys hadn’t already been talking about it.

7 Likes
Chapter 7 be like

Everyone: Blah, blah, everyone thinks I stink…blah blah…favorite ways to get rid of cigarette stink.
Me, the 嫌煙家: :yawning_face:
Tayama: Wanna sniff my armpit?
Me: That escalated fast :astonished:!

7 Likes

@Boodil

I think Tayama meant her decolletage, not her armpit. :joy:

Oops replied the wrong message.

4 Likes

And caught up for this week.

So last week was definitely surprisingly easy despite the move to two chapters. This week is harder, I feel. Lots of new vocab, even if I did get the a bunch of smoking related vocab on my current Wanikani level. Page 76 felt like the hardest this week.

5 Likes
Page 77

While I agree with the rest of your interpretation I think the さびしいね here should not be taken to mean loneliness, but rather be interpreted along the lines of “sad” or “disappointing”, at least I have heard it being used like that, for example to describe a sad excuse for a birthday cake :sweat_smile:.

So I think what 佐々木 is saying could be translated as something like:

It’s so sad when people lose faith/trust in someone they previously thought highly of, the moment they see another side of them, …

They are still the same person after all.

6 Likes

I also activated some of that smoking-related WK kanji … perfect timing!

3 Likes

This wasn’t posted in the main smoking thread so I missed it! … Or I would have, if I didn’t know it goes live on my Saturdays, but I was too busy reading a different manga … I’ll catch up tomorrow, I swear

3 Likes

I indeed forgot to post the link for week 5 there, thanks for pointing out - I’ll do it in a bit, as others might have also missed it

3 Likes
Page 71 question

Is 「朝まで」commonly used like “all-nighter” in English?

Chapter 6 spoilers & best panels

田山 apparently goes full chainsmoking when under pressure, look at that pile of stubs. (んはは #4.)

I tend to agree that this isn’t best translated as “lonely” – I get a soft air of bitterness and regret from this word. Kind of a “why does it have to be this way” type of reflection, a bit of a pause.

Look at 佐々木’s mouth shape in the shadow! 田山 lending the jacket was clearly quite a surprise. But that’s not all, this scene continues…

… with possibly the biggest つい so far in the series, and then…

… a 100% earnest こちらこそ in response to 佐々木’s ありがとう. A stunning panel, really.

Double んははは

田山’s imagination didn’t prepare her for the amount of 鈍い reality delivered:

(んっはっはっ absolutely counts, so we are at #6.)

Chapter 7 spoilers & best panels

I think I’ve heard this term used in other anime & manga as well, seems popular in Japan while I almost never hear it in English. (#7.)

Had a good laugh at the imagination again.

山田 moments before disaster.

山田 played the famous ear-reddening move on herself here. She couldn’t have imagined him just saying that part aloud to her, completely oblivious to the heavy innuendo.

9 Likes

Great little chapters, just tore through them (not sure if just because was reading a slightly more difficult manga/using the OCR look up tool on my phone so much faster than thinking through the 電子辞書). Will go through with a comb when I get off this train

/Edit I see from the discussion I didn’t quite get the nuance of sasaki’s reassurance, so will definitely need to study that! Thanks, book club! This is the sort of thing when you read alone you just end up skipping over lol

7 Likes
My favourite panel this week

firefox_2023-08-14 04.44.08.571

Absolutely savage :laughing:

Page 95 question

What’s the handwritten part next to his head here?

5 Likes
p95

あ!これは
そのあの
ひー
はずかしい

6 Likes

Is this the normal opening poll? I’ve recalled them as having a choice for catching up but this poll implies that there’s no choice for people who are a little behind but plan to catch up. There’s just catch up after the book is finished, rather than the chapter or section.

3 Likes

I think “I’m reading this book after the club has finished” is actually meant to be “The club has already finished, and I’m reading it now” (so for people discovering the threads some time in the future), not “I’m planning to read this book after the club has finished”.

So there’s no “I’m planning to catch up” option at all currently. Gotta continue reading I guess!

2 Likes